homemade nutella

wow, so jessica and i finally had the chance to try another little recipe for our food series. this time something sweet – homemade nutella. the pics alone will show you how ridiculously easy this is to make, at a fraction of the price of real nutella … and it’s actually tastier (in my opinion)

you’ll need a bar of your preferred chocolate – obviously the better the chocolate the nicer your nutella is going to be. the slab of beacon served us well, but i can imagine that using lindt would be delectable…

150 grams hazelnuts:

1/2 cup of icing sugar:

1/4 cup of cocoa powder:

a couple of teaspoons of vegetable oil:

that’s all you need! now, roast the hazelnuts in a hot oven. jessica used her pizza oven, but just use a conventional oven, i’d say 180°c / 350°f – and keep an eye on it. when they start browning, take them out.

mmm perfectly roasted hazelnuts…

in the meantime, melt your chocolate using a double boiler or simply a bowl on top of a pot of boiling water – on low heat. the chocolate has to melt slowly to prevent becoming lumpy or grainy.

mmm perfectly melting chocolate…

while the chocolate is melting pop your hazelnuts into a food processor (note: a food processor, not a blender)

grind away until the nuts become a bit buttery but still chunky:

add all the dry ingredients and the completely melted chocolate:

if your food processor is broken, just jimmy it with a knife….

please also notice the incredibly ironic red dot design award sticker on this faulty piece of machinery

so, you’ll want to blend away until the mix is as smooth as possible – this will probably take around 15 minutes. add in a teaspoon or two of the vegetable oil while it’s going…. you won’t get it as smooth as real nutella unless you have an industrial blender.

when you’re satisfied with the smoothness let the mixture set for about an hour (put it in the fridge if you like)

… and serve with a freshly baked croissant or just eat it on it’s own …

mmmm NUTELLA!

, , , , , , ,

16 Responses to homemade nutella

1. siri Sunday 27 June, 2010 at 10:22 pm #

This looKS AWESOME! I LOVE YOUR TOASTED/TOASTING HAZLENUT PHOTOS. AS AN AVID NUTELLA FAN, I WILL BE MAKING THIS- LOVE THE FACT THAT YOU CAN CONTROL WHAT GOES INTO IT. THANKS SO MUCH!

• Diana Monday 28 June, 2010 at 8:59 am #

imagine how good this would taste using a flavoured chocolate – like mint… or coffee… or chili… oh the possibilities!

2. Carrie Monday 28 June, 2010 at 8:19 am #

i’ve been meaning to make homemade nutella sometime. it’s really not safe for me in the house though, self control is not my forte when it comes to hazelnut goodness.

• Diana Monday 28 June, 2010 at 9:09 am #

this is very true, it probably wouldn’t last a day around me. but the nice thing about this recipe is that it’s not so sweet, so you won’t have that too-much-nutella hangover.

3. Talya Monday 28 June, 2010 at 9:39 am #

I THINK I JUST DIED OF HAPPINESS! GOING TO TRY THIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, LIKE EVERY DAY POSSIBLE X

4. beentaged Monday 28 June, 2010 at 9:46 am #

Sounds so good, im making it this weekend! YUM YUm yu,m!

5. meagan Monday 28 June, 2010 at 10:41 pm #

i’ve made nutella several times before, it’s so delicious, not to mention, addictive. so much better than store bought

6. angie Tuesday 29 June, 2010 at 3:10 pm #

holy moley! Jo just sent me this and now i am here and my mouth is watering and my face is freaking out. i have to make this for the shop!

thanks for the step by step :)
    looks delicious!
    x

7. Lilianah Thursday 15 July, 2010 at 10:24 pm #

with a hand blender only takes few seconds to make hazelnut creamy and after that you can add the other ingredients.
    thanks for recipe anyway! :)

8. fathima Saturday 23 April, 2011 at 11:26 pm #

OMW! Can’t believe I’m like a year late on seeing this! A year of unnecessarily going without it! Can’t wait to try it out.
    Thanks for sharing :)

9. mademarian Saturday 7 May, 2011 at 6:44 pm #

Even better with hazelnut oil, try it.

10. Jessie Monday 9 May, 2011 at 2:12 am #

Hi! Great recipe! After it’s made, how long does it stay good for?

Thanks!

11. Helen Wednesday 20 July, 2011 at 1:59 pm #

I can’t drink or have any sort of milk right now because my breast fed baby can’t tollerate milk. So, if I get a good dairy free chocolate I CAN EAT THIS! I have been missing nutella, I never thought of making it! SO happy.

12. Tracey Friday 19 August, 2011 at 8:38 pm #

Thats so amazing. my daughter loves nutella on her sandwidges for school, buts its real pricey, so glad now I havea recipe to make my own! thanks xx

13. Raff Tuesday 17 April, 2012 at 11:42 pm #

Just wondering do you have to use a food processor for this? And what happens when you use a blender?

• Miss Moss Wednesday 18 April, 2012 at 6:53 am #

We used a food processor – a blender probably wouldn’t work!