a bit of history: jessica and her twin sister debra and i have been friends since we were in grade 2 (around 7 years old). jessica and luke own & run nook eatery, the restaurant in stellenbosch i am constantly prattling on about. go eat there!
- Growing my own vegetable/herb garden (this is part of Jessica’s garden, by the way)
- Double denim – I want to be her!
- Gucci Eau de Parfum II – thanks Diana for introducing me to this fragrance 7 years ago.
- Rompers – My mom made one for me when I was 8 years old, and I lived in it every chance I had. It was yellow with blue straps that tied on the shoulders. I am searching for one for summer, and this denim one worn by Alessandra Ambrosio in NYC is near perfect!
- Spring flowers – it is this time of year that I buy more flowers than I know what to do with. Ranunculi (otherwise known as Persian Buttercups) are my favourite.
- Jean Gillon Leather Rosewood Sofa circa 1960s – I saw this couch at Pier Rabe Bosman’s Crossing showroom, and it was love at first touch and sight. At R22,000.00 it’s a fantasy rather than reality, but I can dream.
- Lemon Meringue Pie – I made some for Nook this week and was lucky enough to share a piece with Luke on Tuesday afternoon after work in the Botanical Gardens.
- Boston Terriers by Rubenacker – discovered through a random search on etsy. This print and others in his collection made me smile inside and out.
- Style contrast – Fascinated with this pic from The Sartorialist
- Quilts – perfect for picnics, and I am determined to make one this year!
- A bar cart – I don’t know if I would strictly use this for alcohol, but something about owning one is just so appealing.
- Retro food – I love the series Mad Men, especially when they mention classic dishes such as Iceberg Wedge salad with Blue Cheese, Oysters, Crab and Avocado, and Fillet Mignon. I find myself cursing the TV when they fail to actually show the food as it arrives in front of them! In Episode 1 of Season 4, Don Draper is going on a date to a restaurant and Roger Sterling says, “Have the chicken Kiev. Butter squirts everywhere.” Oh … wow …
hahaha, really laughed at the retro food. i’m also totally fascinated & grossed out by it!
things i like right now by mariah of size too small
- Candles & Candlestick Holders: Every day as soon as the sun sets, we light candles in our home. They create the best mood – super cozy.
- Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros: Do yourself a favor and listen to “Home” by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.
- Stationary: I love cards and stationary and Rifle Paper Company is at the top of my love list.
- American Apparel Deep Neck V T-shirt: I’ve been a long time fan of this particular shirt. I have it in a bunch of colors, but grey is my favorite.
- Window Pane Check Bedding: I’m obsessed with this simple graphic print for bedding.
- Eternity Scarves: These are the best- sewn in a circle, all you do is loop it around your neck. It holds the perfect shape all day. I wore mine all winter long.
- Rachel Comey Ankle Boot: I love this new ankle boot Rachel Comey has come out with. It’s the perfect shade of brown.
those boooooooots!!! actually, i want everything on mariah’s list. everything.
my brother sent this to me – he explores google earth as much as i explore google street maps. it’s the most amazing scene of people in a market in tanzania looking up at whatever it was that took this aerial photograph (airplane? helicopter?) … the shot is so detailed and colourful and so very african. i love it. here is the google earth placemark if you want to have a look yourself (if you don’t have google earth on your computer – get it!)
just had to share these because they made my jaw drop. gérard michel is a belgian architect and his flickr stream has thousands of sketches that are all drawn on site. they are very impressive and beautiful, but what really amazed me are the panoramics. when i first saw them i thought, no way, these HAD to be done from a photograph. nu uh. he says,
my perspectives are built on site. my pencil is my only tool to take measurements : i count how many “pencils” are necessary to measure 90 degrees, and then i have a standard to build my drawing.
click on the pictures for the bigger versions!
- Google Translate – so I can read blogs that are in languages I don’t know how to read.
- Tank’s extra hour of half price sushi and cocktails
- T-strap pumps
- David West’s collection at Cape Town Fashion Week
- Watching True Blood Season 3 and Entourage Season 7
- Vintage Inspired Swimwear
- Wooden wedges
- Making new pictures look like old ones
- Cape Town Street Style
- New Look 50s Dresses as seen in Louis Vuitton RTW Fall 2010
i’m also loving true blood & those wooden platforms… and sushi and david west and fifties dresses and and and…
edit: i fixed the numbering now, am a bit slow this morning >_<
fantasy outfit #5… total price: $8000 (R58,500) uuuum. yes okay, it’s mostly from net-a-porter.
man-o-lantern it’s been cold this weekend! just when i was babbling about it being so warm and un-winter like the cape decides to pull one of it’s classic rainy sessions. so this fantasy outfit is based around a fuck-off warm jacket. sometimes i feel a bit bad about shearling… but i eat lamb so who am i to talk? don’t hate me, vegetarians.
ps: perhaps one day i will look back and be amused at my choice of shoe, but i am quite taken with swedish hasbeens and any kind of wooden platform. oh well. pps: there’s a cup of coffee in there… yes there is.