it was bloggus interruptus around here because of heritage day. thursday was a bit of a b-day night out – taking full advantage of said public holiday. if you’ve just started your weekend, hope it’s rad.
i’m loving locally jewellery line dear rae – got this ring for my birthday …
more books i’d buy based on covers alone …
… and bread i’d buy based on the packaging alone …
new-ish illustrations from caitlin shearer …
portraiture by miek van de wiel …
always enjoying pin ups …
this house makes other houses jealous …
amanda johnson does wide leg jeans & my favourite skirt length …
… and vanessa jackman takes a million beautiful photos at london fashion week (hello seventies)
i realise that my entire blog is technically my own ‘things i like right now’ – but i am enjoying this series so much i needed to take part. every time someone sends me their list i think damn! i like that too! and then mentally rearrange and add to my own list. so here goes. things i like right now, by me … birthday edition. i am 27 today.
1. david sedaris. i am ashamed to say that i had never read david sedaris before my recent trip, where i found his book dress your family in corduroy and denim in the flat we were staying in. i read it in one day because i am a shameless lying-in-bed-reading-until-four-in-the-morning-because-i-can’t-put-it-down kind of person. i managed to track down a copy of me talk pretty one day at the good old abbey bookshop around the corner, and so had more awesome reading material for the plane. his books have sold over 7 millions copies, and i only discover him now? needless to say, the man is a genius. and his writing appeals exactly to my sense of humour.
2. simon & garfunkel. a while back i was all about paul, but now i’m giving the duo much love again. not that i have ever fallen out of love, mind you. i can watch old videos of them harmonising to an enraptured crowd over and over, resulting in extreme jealousy of anyone who has ever seen them live.
3. beer. i am a late bloomer when it comes to alcohol preference. my student days were all ciders and vodka (shudder.) it took me years to get on the red wine train, and then one day i had a glass and just loved it. the same goes for beer, which is now my beverage of choice pretty much at all times.
5. boots. shit! it’s almost summer. which means, no more boots. no more of the boots i have been living in for the past few months. worse still – the internet is quickly filling up with all new boots that the northerners will soon we running around in, keeping their toes warm. while my toes melt. oh well, maybe i can wear them in the evenings…. right?
6. her hair. i have been wanting to cut my hair forever (right now it’s at the birth of venus hair length, basically.) my friends are sick to death of me umming and aahing over whether to cut a fringe again (it’s just grown out!) this stylish lady’s hair has me practically convinced that i should lose the fringe and go shoulder length.
7. blouses. i had to stop myself from buying a suitcase of blouses when i was in paris. (cheap, too! can you say h&m?) and i instantly regretted it as soon as i got home because i have a feeling i’m going to live in them this summer.
8. music mixes. i like making these way too much. i am constantly compiling and rearranging the stupid things, trying to make the perfect mix. but most of all, i am contemplating doing two a month – that’s how much i love sharing them and knowing that people are enjoying them. i hope the free music police don’t catch me, though.
9. not-skinny jeans. i haven’t dipped my legs into the flare / boot / wide leg revival yet, but i am excited to once i find the right pair. high waisted and hip hugging like karla’s would be amazing.
10. stroopwafels. i saw my dutch family when i was overseas and they gave me a tin of stroopwafels (proper ones, from gouda). nothing, and i mean nothing, excites me as much as a tin of stroopwafels. i’ve been rationing them much like a child would their easter eggs.
11. photography. picking up a camera and just shooting my entire holiday made me realise how much i love photography. i haven’t done anything creative (properly creative) in a long time …work doesn’t count. now all i can think about is reviving my old film cameras and getting into it again – for good.
12. my family. i suppose i don’t like my family – i love them. and not right now, but always. of course right now i really like them because i think they might give me cake today.
* i had to stop myself from putting mad men on this list. that would have been too obvious! but just so you know, mad men is on this list… it’s just invisible. omnipresent, if you will.
besides being basically my favourite places to hang out in general, art museums are prime spots for interesting people watching. in the musée d’orsay i lurked in the same room as courbet’s origin of the world for about 5 minutes, and enjoyed witnessing a variety of reactions … naturally the…
for some reason i always thought i had posted about dear golden vintage, but turns out i haven’t…. which is strange considering lauren’s blog is one of my favourites. not only does she stock her shop with the most incredible vintage items, but she also has great personal style (naturally)
and dresses! and that coat!
- my coffee shop Wolves – this is like my baby that I don’t have to get up at 3:45 in the morning to feed formula to. I think it’s safe to say that I love, not like this thing.
- my growing collection of art deco mirrors – I have quite a few of them, but for some or other reason it doesn’t feel like I have enough. So typical of me though.
- my turquoise sunglasses – my eyes need umbrellas too.
- coppelia dresses – she is one of the raddest designers in the country. I love love love her stuff and they love love love my credit card.
- my Kitchen Aid mixer – yes I have one, yes it’s minty blue and beautiful and yes I have on numerous occasions dreamt about eating it.
- Howard Roark– I’m reading The Fountain Head and I’m loving every bit of it.
- ceramic animals (I think I will always like these) – when people come to our house for the first time I think they think I’m a bit loopy loop in the head.
- black skinny jeans – I literally have about 9 identical pairs, which if I could I would wear all at the same time I would and then I would be the crazy ceramic lady with the jeans on her head, legs, arms and face. Yip that would be me.
- my army green vintage bike that shane bought me as a surprise – when I go riding on it I feel like 1979. Yes.
- Breaking Bad – if you haven’t got into this series yet then I suggest you lock yourself in a room with a laptop, some peanutbutter sandwiches, a few liters of juice and enjoy. It’s dark, but it’s oh so very good.
- my fuji instamax camera – it’s like a polariod camera but not, but yes, but no. it takes pretty pictures and makes any memory seem oh so grand.
- my floral brogues – they’re like little red riding hood fell into a pot of awesome and out came these shoes.
- skermunkils – these ceramic and silver beauties make me want to jump off a roof holding an open umbrella, I don’t why, they just do.