Music

fine folk

october music mix is here! this past month i’ve been spending a lot of quality time with my ipod listening to tunes on my own – in airports, on long flights, walking around in a strange city, driving in my car… and i kept returning to the same kind of music. would i call it folk? perhaps. folk rock? indie folk? indie folk rock? indie folk rock pop? indie folk rock alt-country lo-fi pop? at the very least it’s nice music accompanied by strumming guitars. or banjos. sometimes harmonicas. maybe even accordions. and pianos. a couple even have synthesizers. and lots of harmonising. uuuuuh…

fine folk playing fine music that perhaps isn’t folk but kind of is to me. playlist:

1. blitzen trapper – furr
  15. stornoway – boats and trains
  16. great lake swimmers – your rocky spine
  17. ray lamontagne – sarah
  18. cat stevens – how can i tell
  19. simon & garfunkel – bleecker street
  20. tin hat trio – fear of the south

next time you’re in a busy public space with your ipod handy – listen to track 20. quite a weird experience.

ps. two of my favourite songs of all time are in this mix: blitzen trapper / furr and the mountain goats / no children. i have played both countless times and i never ever tire of them.

the album image is by the inimitable gordon parks. inimitable, i say.

all music is for sampling purposes only – please go out and buy the artists’ records & support them at their shows!

Previous Post Next Post

• Reply lauren Friday 1 October, 2010 at 8:31 am

your taste in music is wonderful spectacular. as is your blog.
    i think you may like these pretties good music making.

• Reply Miss Moss Friday 1 October, 2010 at 8:38 am

aaaah thanks, will check them out!

• Reply Lance Daniels Friday 1 October, 2010 at 9:22 am

“Postcards From Italy” … eternal love.

• Reply Mallory Friday 1 October, 2010 at 10:30 am

It’s the middle of the night (well, actually – early morning) my time in the US, and I’m so miserably sick that I’m still up. Wallowing in self pity, haha. I just listened to the entire mix and, per usual – it’s so good. Florence & the Machine does a great (in my opinion) cover of Postcards from Italy.

• Reply Lincoln Taft Friday 1 October, 2010 at 10:42 pm

I have been listening to this all morning. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply michelle Saturday 2 October, 2010 at 12:19 am

it takes a special touch to put together a playlist by hand (rather than relying on iTunes Genius)

Hats off to you! I’ve been painting to this playlist all morning!

thanks for sharing!

~Michelle~

• Reply Miss Moss Sunday 3 October, 2010 at 4:22 pm

glad you enjoyed it so much :D

• Reply Kyle Sunday 3 October, 2010 at 6:22 pm

your mixes are far out! thanks for sharing :)

• Reply Lauren Sunday 3 October, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Oooh, I must download this. I’m on the look out for new tunes. Thanks Di x

• Reply Kaelea Ann Monday 4 October, 2010 at 3:55 am

you make the best mixes ever!
    i share them with all my workmates!
    hooray!

• Reply Miss Moss Monday 4 October, 2010 at 12:39 pm

hahaha, i’m glad! :)

• Reply Edna Monday 4 October, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Awesome mix!! I love these mixes!!! So whimsical, totally captures my mood right now!!

• Reply marisa Tuesday 5 October, 2010 at 11:42 am

Thanks for introducing me to some spiffing new music, really enjoyed it. Love your mixes!

• Reply Jessie Wednesday 6 April, 2011 at 3:55 pm

hey girl, i just discovered your blog through milk teeths and i absolutely love your music mixes! i started making them for my blog a couple months ago as well- nowhere near as great as yours though ;). your taste in music is fantastic. i especially love this mix! isn’t jens lekman amazing?