i used to be subscribed to many a tumblr, but it was actually so overwhelming in terms of imagery imagery imagery that i stopped. i wanted to discover things i like more organically, rather than scrolling through page after page after page of pictures. that being said, i bookmarked quite a few pics of rad famous peeps during that time. sharing is caring.
things i like right now by fred of toy robot / fiction fred
- 1 Million by Paco Rabanne – It’s the best.
- Fish Eye – I love this camera, it’s something I raise a toast to.
- The Gold watch – for the brave. It’s bling, but not 50-cent. It makes a strong statement and it’s making finally making a comeback after years of sitting on the bench. Get one. Or steal your father’s.
- Persol Eyewear, Sun collection - I want them all. Can’t wait for summer…
- Designer Track Pants – bring it.
- Steph Weiss – Delicate, smooth and creamy. Liquid velvet. This has been my number 1 beer for a while now. Think creamy vanilla.
- Plaid Tie – I need one. Not sure why, but I need one. Just a gut feeling.
- Weber Q300 – It’s the push button ignition, the stainless steel burners and the 100 square cm cooking area that seals it for me.
- Eternal Pursuit – A book published by Ogilvy & Mather about David Ogilvy’s philosophy applied to today’s advertising agency. Focuses on the 8 Habits of Highly Creative Communities. Published internally at Ogilvy & Mather and distributed internally. Unavailable elsewhere. It’s my golden pocketbook. Kinda like my advertising mini-bible. As you can see it is well-read.
- YUM YUM Characters – Toy designs have boomed over last few years and I haven’t seen a better crafted collection than this. I WANT them. I love their subtle character nuances. The video is damn funny too.
- Hipstamatic – I love this iPhone app right now. It’s vintage and it makes almost anything look stylish. It’s like having a designer in my pocket
- The Alfa Romeo Giulietta 2010 – This will be my next car. Not only am I currently driving one, but I’ve been a fan for as long as I can remember.
- Fleet Foxes – I am in love with this band. The “drunken Texas sun” shines on my every time I listen to them. It’s winter music, warms the heart. Top songs: Oliver James, White Winter Hymnal & Ragged Wood.
photography by troy stains (wow)
these paintings are weird and wonderful. by guim tio.
guy hoff was an american illustrator (1889-1962)
the entire stella mccartney s/s 11 collection is beeeeoootiful, and i am rather attracted to the blue outfits.
if you’re in the cape town area code make sure to pop into field office, a new coffee shop / design museum / art gallery/ your office away from your office / your boardroom away from your boardroom. the brain child of designers pedersen + lennard, the space caters for people looking for a place to be inspired, have some good eats (gourmet sarmies & cakes) and drink some great coffee. you can find them on barrack street (beteween buitenkant & harrington) … also follow them on twitter and on facebook. all photographs belong to field office.
things i like right now by samuel sparrow of sparrow and co
- Lavenham Denston Brown Jacket – These British made jackets are made in a tiny village in Suffolk called Lavenham. Initially intended for the equestrian world, they have amassed a huge following in recent years. Their jackets are beautifully made and now come in a range of fashion led colours and finishes.
- Pomadour Hair – When I look at James Dean I have serious hair envy
- Ray Ban Wayfarer 5184’s Dark Havana Glasses
- Diesel watch DZ1506 – I was given this watch as a 21st birthday present from my wife. It is one of my fondest processions.
- Citroen DS Pallas – is simply the most beautiful car in the world. Roland Barthes famously commented it looked ‘as if it had fallen from the sky.’
- Hunter Argyle Wellington Boots – These boots are built to last. I keep an emergency pair in the boot of my car.
- Geo F Trumper Sandalwood Cologne – To me fragrances are so emotive…it reminds me of my grandfathers shaving soap and old leather bound books. It’s made by London barber and perfumer Geo F Trumper
- My iPhone. I often get dirty look from wife and accusations that I love my iPhone more than her. The truth is I run my whole business with the help of my iPhone. It’s got me out of a few pickles and I’d simply be lost without it.
- Jean Prouvé - he worked as a designer, craftsman, manufacturer, architect, teacher and engineer. He was a true multi-disciplined artists and creator. His Compass table is truly iconic.
- My wife… Laura Sparrow. I’d be lost without her. This is a portrait I gave Laura when we got married, it’s by American artist Brooke Olivares
- British Seaside – Beach huts, fish and chips and a bracing wind…you can’t beat the British seaside
book of lists by mia nolting.