Art, Vintage

Portrait / Portrait

i’ve been looking for a reason to do another one of these posts. truth is they’ve been featured on some of my favourite blogs lately, and i’ve received many kind emails from readers saying how much they like them. man, people on the internet are nice! so i dipped into my folders of saved vintage photos (all from doctor macro) & paired them with portraits that i love. ended up making way too many for one post… more to come later.

marilyn monroe / al greco – a lady in a fur wrap

susan haywardivan g. olinsky – serviceman’s wife

james dean / charles w. hawthorne

janet leigh / leigh louise gadbois

natalie wood / picasso – la toilette

sharon tate / félix vallotton – la liseuse

Previous Post Next Post

• Reply xhulja Monday 10 January, 2011 at 9:07 am

I really love the second and the last one. Alao your ite is great.

please feel free to visit my blog if you like
    (I do illustrations and sketches)

• Reply ailsa Monday 10 January, 2011 at 9:12 am

i really don’t think i can tell you how much i love your blog! you have great taste in pretty much everything, and i’ve been listening to a couple of your mixes on repeat lately. keep it up!

• Reply Coffee Rings and Other Things Monday 10 January, 2011 at 10:00 am

Love these pairs- wonderful!

Happy Monday!

• Reply Lady Monday 10 January, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I absolutely love this :-)

• Reply Jag Monday 10 January, 2011 at 12:37 pm

This is gorgeous! I love Natalie Wood!

• Reply Nadia - Cupcake Couture Monday 10 January, 2011 at 2:17 pm

These are so interesting and great.
    Well done on the mention.

• Reply barb. Monday 10 January, 2011 at 4:14 pm

oh, so so so beautiful.
    you have great eye for fine art.
    very fine.
    be well.

• Reply misc-maranda Monday 10 January, 2011 at 4:35 pm

these posts are some of my favorites, keep it up!

• Reply annie Monday 10 January, 2011 at 4:47 pm

yes, these are brilliant! they were all made for each other. and i love the vintage fashion/photography in place of modern—they are so much fun to compare. totally love it

• Reply Carrie Clogston Monday 10 January, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I cannot even begin to say how cool I think your posts on art and style are. I was so inspired that on my (new) blog, I featured what you had culled for us! Credit was given from the start, of course. I’m looking forwards to going backwards now and reading more of your posts.

• Reply anja Monday 10 January, 2011 at 7:12 pm

These are always amazing. I look forward to them for sure!

• Reply Crystal Lee Monday 10 January, 2011 at 7:49 pm

totally brilliant! you have a great eye!

• Reply Meagan Monday 10 January, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Wow, you are mighty talented! These are incredible!

• Reply Marissa Monday 10 January, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I just discovered your blog through Malvestida, and I’m completely blown away by the beauty of it. I’ll most definitely be following now. :)

• Reply # 19 Monday 10 January, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Love this series. Great mention on cup of Jo by the way.

• Reply M.Fay Monday 10 January, 2011 at 10:06 pm

oooooh, i love these!!! the last one is my favorite. xo m.fay

• Reply Pearl Monday 10 January, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Oh I LOVE LOVE this! The comparison is breathtaking!

• Reply tp Tuesday 11 January, 2011 at 4:38 pm

These are so great!

• Reply Lauren Tuesday 11 January, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Amazing, amazing. I shall most definitely have to have these on my blog one of these days.

• Reply Vanessa Rae Tuesday 11 January, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Miss Moss you are brilliant. I love EVERYTHING about your space and am so inspired by you and the way you see things. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Lauren Wednesday 12 January, 2011 at 4:58 am

these arethecoolestthingsever! coolest things on the internet. my favorite. fascinating. perfect. your blog is the best. there, i said it.

• Reply Tierney Wednesday 12 January, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I’m a bit late on this, but your entire blog has engrossed me for the last hour. You are brilliant, and you do brilliant work. I spend many a happy afternoon browsing the Smithsonian here in DC, and I feel like I was just in the Portrait Gallery again. Thanks for sharing.

tier
    rubywoolovesyou.com

(PS. My captcha was LVMH. Just thought you should know.)

• Reply Megan Friday 14 January, 2011 at 2:57 am

Hi, I loooove these! I am a painter and would love to help with a story on up-and-coming artists’ work paired with classical fashion or other photos just like in your “Colour Comparisons”! If you would like to see my paintings, check out artbymegan.com. Look forward to seeing what you come up with next.
    M

• Reply Irene Friday 14 January, 2011 at 10:42 pm

These are gorgeous, as is most everything on your blog.

• Reply mica Saturday 15 January, 2011 at 4:18 am

You have an absolutely wonderful eye.

• Reply Alexandra Cecilia Saturday 15 January, 2011 at 4:37 am

One can tell you are really artistic…I just found your blog and i have to say I LOVE IT. This idea that you have had with matching art with streetstyle pictures can only come from a talented, truly art-inclined person- that is you missy! Thankyou SOO much for posting these! It reminds me that everything we encounter on our daily basis is as beautiful as art.
    Your blog makes me smile.
    Well done!
    I’m a new follower ofcourse :)

• Reply Miss Moss Saturday 15 January, 2011 at 12:10 pm

@EVERYONE – thank you so, so much for your kind comments & compliments. you really are too nice. x

• Reply PAWLING | print studio Saturday 15 January, 2011 at 8:13 pm

damn! stunning pairings. could look at these all day.

• Reply Snuze Tuesday 18 January, 2011 at 3:53 am