cuan and i have been working together as a creative team for 6 years. we’ve worked at ogilvy cape town for 4 years now. we pretty much do most things together, despite having very different ‘taste / style / opinions / likes / dislikes’.
i like everything on this list, especially vonnegut, mussels & national pride … as well as mr. murray – who i have never met, but i’m sure we’d get along fine.
- Espadrilles: Pretty much a classic, chic summertime essential. Carvela at Spitz has a great range.
- Zombies – They’re so much cooler than vampires.
- Dry Rosé: Started drinking dry rose´ on a trip to France earlier this year. It’s pretty much the perfect summer afternoon drink.
- Jonathan Safran Foer – Wrote ‘Everything is Illuminated,’ which became a movie starring Elijah Wood from the Shire. More recently wrote ‘Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.’ Just as good.
- Mussels: And they’re on the SASSI green list. Try Dunes in Hout bay (021 790 1876) for the best fresh mussels this side of the mountain. Strandloper (0832277195) makes a giant cauldron of fresh mussels as part of their amazing buffet, totally worth the drive.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jnr – My favourite. Wrote ‘Breakfast of Champions,’ ‘Slaughterhouse 5,’ ‘Cat’s Cradle’ etc. If you like Sci-fi, even a little, you must read.
- The Wild Beasts – band from Northern England. Lead singer sounds like a lovechild between David Bowie and Freddie Mercury. Bowie and Mercury probably did have sex, so it’s not too far fetched.
- Puffins: They are the new bunnies. Fact.
- National Pride – It’s a bit July 2010, but I still think it’s awesome. South Africans are finally starting to say, “I love my country” and mean it.
- Mr Murray: My boyfriend and I recently welcomed Mr Murray into our home. He is a wire-haired-naughty-fox terrier. Murray Christmas everyone!