Vintage

backpacker magazine

i wrote a post about backpacker magazine covers from the seventies back in 2009, but unfortunately lost it to the gods of unreliable image hosting. so i thought i’d remind you that you can actually browse back issues of backpacker magazine on google books (from 1973-now)

i have spent an unhealthy amount of time ogling backpackers wearing woolrich & sporting glorious moustaches

Previous Post Next Post

• Reply Kristina Monday 7 February, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Love those covers, super cool!
    I am so much looking forward for the summer to come, love going camping!!
    Viele Gruesse, Kristina

• Reply ola appletea Monday 7 February, 2011 at 4:09 pm

So cool :) LOVE IT!

• Reply erin Monday 7 February, 2011 at 5:01 pm

i love these vintage covers! my husband and i have been getting backpacker for years – great find!

• Reply Sharon Monday 7 February, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I like especially the one where they’re trekking across the beach with driftwood. . . not the environment I usually associate with backpacking. (I also like Mr. Dude with Flannel and Cowboy Hat, but that’s more because he makes me chuckle a little.)

• Reply Hazel Monday 7 February, 2011 at 7:57 pm

not quite sure how to type a wolf-whistle, fruuutthrroooo! Love the snowy chap :^)

• Reply Lauren Monday 7 February, 2011 at 9:35 pm

This is making me want to go camping so bad!

• Reply Ian Monday 7 February, 2011 at 10:02 pm

My name is Ian and I approve of this post.

• Reply Deon Monday 7 February, 2011 at 11:32 pm

The 2nd picture, page ’10’, the bridge over the waterfall, where is that, if it’s not too much trouble? Reminds me so much of a spot I visited in Canada

• Reply amourette Tuesday 8 February, 2011 at 7:45 pm

These are AWESOME

• Reply molly Sunday 20 February, 2011 at 7:30 pm

i found an image of yours on pinterest that i loved and then found my way here and have now been here far too long having a great time – thanks!
    my dad’s a cartographer and hiker and used to subscribe to backpacker when we were kids – these images bring back so many memories!