Fashion, Vintage

Princeton, 1969

It was in 1969 that Princeton University first admitted women as undergraduates. 148 women, consisting of 100 freshwomen and transfer students of other years, entered Princeton on September 6, 1969 amidst a frenzy of media ogling and ribbing. Scores of women’s papers and magazines, like Woman’s Wear Daily, featured articles on what the stylish Princeton freshwoman wore on campus, and practically every woman student was featured in her hometown newspaper.

These photographs were taken by Alfred Eisenstaedt for Life Magazine . Story here.

Previous Post Next Post

• Reply Anabela Tuesday 8 February, 2011 at 9:11 pm

1969!? So late! These pictures are incredible, though. The women seem so happy.

• Reply Kate Tuesday 8 February, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Prepster delight!

• Reply Miss Moss Tuesday 8 February, 2011 at 9:17 pm

i think women had studied at princeton in some capacity before the official co-ed policy was introduced in 1969 – but probably not at an undergraduate level. yale also only introduced full co-education in 1969.

yeah, the women look happy & awesome!

• Reply Max Tuesday 5 April, 2011 at 12:50 pm

From 1963 to 1969, Princeton hosted a “critical languages” program that admitted a few women for a year at a time. The Princeton band got into trouble once for referring to them as “cunning linguists” during one of their shows.

Anyway, by the early 80s, 44% of the student body were women, and now, I understand, it’s 50-50; oh, how I envy the male students today…

• Reply andrea Tuesday 8 February, 2011 at 11:01 pm

i LOVE their style!

• Reply Sam Tuesday 8 February, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Oh man, what I would give for their closets. Such great style.

• Reply Dagmarette @ The Finishing School Wednesday 9 February, 2011 at 12:18 am

OMG Look at the clothes!!! Love the late 60’s prep with a touch of the 70’s style showing through.

• Reply Kate @ lovelornunicorn.com Wednesday 9 February, 2011 at 12:39 am

Love these so much, especially the first two. Seriously delightful.

• Reply Meagan Wednesday 9 February, 2011 at 2:22 am

That second picture has my heart. Her outfit is so in style right now! THe striped skirt, the sandals. Awesome! Some other girls have that going on too. I can’t believe it was 1969!

• Reply hila Wednesday 9 February, 2011 at 3:54 am

I’ve always secretly had a thing for the preppy look, although seriously, I can’t carry it off.

• Reply Jen Wednesday 9 February, 2011 at 5:41 am

Your blog is so inspiring! These photos are awesome.

• Reply Dennis Wednesday 9 February, 2011 at 8:19 am

a campus without girls?? madness! what took them so long? :)

• Reply sam beningfield Wednesday 9 February, 2011 at 9:09 am

I just realised how I want to wake up and dress for university every. single. day.

• Reply monika @ styelmadesimple Wednesday 9 February, 2011 at 11:05 am

Hello, just wanted to tell you that I am really enjoying your posts. These girls look so smart and stylish!!!

• Reply Sally Wednesday 9 February, 2011 at 5:27 pm

This post basically sums up everything I love about the ’60s and ’70s.

(besides how long it took for gender equality to be set in motion, that is.)

• Reply Lauren Wednesday 9 February, 2011 at 6:26 pm

This is brilliant! I love how you combine heartwarming history with breathtaking photo’s.

• Reply Katie Thursday 10 February, 2011 at 5:45 am

i love how the clothes are so current. especially love that striped skirt. great photos!

• Reply Vicki Friday 11 February, 2011 at 8:57 am

I spent the night of my 23rd birthday at a wild party at the Tiger Inn in Princeton. it was only a few years later when i read F.Scott Fitzgerald’s work that i realised the significance of hanging out there. Love these pix. V x

• Reply Denise Saturday 12 February, 2011 at 5:03 am

This is incredible!

• Reply Julie Monday 14 February, 2011 at 1:58 pm

These are amazing and I had no idea that it was until so late…I live here in Princeton, so it’s so interesting for me to see these.
    Happy Valentine’s day, today!

• Reply Monday Snax | Little Stories Monday 14 February, 2011 at 4:42 pm

[…] Princeton, 1969. Great photographs from a Life magazine feature from 1969, which was the year that women were admitted to Princeton. I loved the images of these young women and their fashion aesthetics, but it also made me think about how little college students have changed in 40 years. (Miss Moss) […]

• Reply tschitschi Sunday 20 February, 2011 at 7:05 pm

such cool pictures, I love them!