suno & vallotton

i was happily browsing the fall 2011 suno collection, all the while thinking – “paintings. just like paintings. the colour. the patterns. aaah, paintings.” (tricky translating my thoughts, but that was the jist of it) and then i read the review,

There aren’t many designers willing to admit to being inspired by old ladies, but Max Osterweis and Erin Beatty went there for Fall. They said they were specifically interested in the way the granny class accumulates things with a seeming disregard for trends or faddishness. “It’s an exploration of timelessness,” Beatty explained of the collection. But there was nothing fusty or old-fashioned about the wallpaper prints or the geometric motifs, which were informed by the work of a pair of painters, Peter Doig and Félix Vallotton.

seriously! vallotton, specifically, is an absolute favourite of mine. so… you know – this had to be done.

runway images courtesy of style.com

, , , , , , ,

31 Responses to suno & vallotton

1. Color Collective Wednesday 16 February, 2011 at 8:12 am #

wow, these are absolutely gorgeous! beautiful comparisons!

2. size too small Wednesday 16 February, 2011 at 8:24 am #

didn’t know vallotton’s work before but i love it. such great matches.

3. Mia Wednesday 16 February, 2011 at 8:36 am #

JUST PLAIN F#$@%N GORGEOUS!!

4. Vanessa Rae Wednesday 16 February, 2011 at 9:01 am #

absolute perfection!

5. Jag Wednesday 16 February, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

This is AMAZING!

6. maranda Wednesday 16 February, 2011 at 4:45 pm #

just lovely-as usual!

7. Lea Wednesday 16 February, 2011 at 4:54 pm #

Oh my goodness. All of the prints are to. Die. For. Especially the florals. And the more ethnic ones. And. Yeah. Just all of them.

8. m.fay Wednesday 16 February, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

girl, you are good! i have A LOT to learn from you :)

9. Molly Wednesday 16 February, 2011 at 6:33 pm #

Truly, marvelous comparisons! Especially the first two, the similarities are uncanny!

10. sylvia Wednesday 16 February, 2011 at 7:05 pm #

beautiful fabrics… beautiful clothes,reminds me of one of my friend in London who completely works that look…we called it granny chic… love it!

11. Cez Wednesday 16 February, 2011 at 8:05 pm #

such wonderful match!!!!! love ur blog!!!! xoxo

12. Salima Wednesday 16 February, 2011 at 8:55 pm #

Creatively Impressive.

I found a website of a designer from Tanzania who also uses Khanga sarrongs from East Africa to make her designs.
    Check her out if you are interested in Ethnic/Tribal prints.

13. Sweet Freak Wednesday 16 February, 2011 at 8:59 pm #

This is the most brilliant and inspiring thing I’ve seen in a long time!

14. My CoCoon Vintage Wednesday 16 February, 2011 at 9:12 pm #

Love the prints and art inspiration. The florals have me excited for spring!

15. Emily Marie Wednesday 16 February, 2011 at 9:22 pm #

You are so creative! Love this post – so inspired!

16. Carrie Wednesday 16 February, 2011 at 11:38 pm #

Oh My! You are so good at this! Love it!

17. Malin Wednesday 16 February, 2011 at 11:57 pm #

Everything on this blog is just so pretty, its so refreshing! And I love that you love swedish style, because I am from sweden and I love swedish style!

Love
    from sweden!

18. SG Thursday 17 February, 2011 at 12:27 am #

you have a real talent.. this was the most beautiful thing to look at! thank you!

19. Mariella Thursday 17 February, 2011 at 4:16 am #

You really have a talent for this! These comparisons are absolutely brilliant!

20. Dana Thursday 17 February, 2011 at 4:22 am #

these are exquisite. Suno is one of my favoriteeee NY designers right now… just amazing.

21. diana Thursday 17 February, 2011 at 8:36 pm #

Killer. Absolutely killer. Have to peek at your posts in only short bursts
    or risk fainting.

22. Dorit Thursday 17 February, 2011 at 9:12 pm #

For starters, I ADORE your blog- and this pairing in particular blew me away! I’m absolutely blogging about this post TODAY!
    The combinations here of painting and collection pieces do a service to both.
    The outfits are clearer with the paintings as context, and the paintings are more vibrant and are made current by the collection – Brava!!

Thanks for the beauty!
    xo
    D

needwanthave.wordpress.com

23. hila Friday 18 February, 2011 at 5:09 am #

sigh, you’re too good at this! the combination of colours, textures and tones work so perfectly together. If you combined all your collections into a little book, I’d buy it.

24. maggie // noirohio Friday 18 February, 2011 at 8:08 am #

um…. you’re amazing. This is stunning!!
    xx

25. HJM art gallery (Helen) Friday 18 February, 2011 at 9:00 am #

Oh! WOW! this is really stunning! As an artist, I find these comparisons truly amazing! You have such a great eye! Love the colors and textures!

26. maia Friday 18 February, 2011 at 7:44 pm #

Oh wow. amazing! having been raised in artist colonies, this pushes all my buttons. I need to print this whole layout out and post it on my inspiration wall. thanks for sharing.

27. PAWLING | print studio Sunday 20 February, 2011 at 1:49 am #

exquisite comparisons as always! you manage to elevate both works!

28. Alissa Tuesday 22 February, 2011 at 4:42 am #

Thank you for the lovely pairings! These are just wonderful…

29. Helena le Grange Wednesday 23 February, 2011 at 8:37 pm #

I’m crying its so beautiful…

30. Fiona Thursday 24 February, 2011 at 3:06 pm #

I just keep coming back to this, it is so gorgeous and so inspiring. Among the most beautiful and genuinely thought-provoking things I have stumbled over on the internet, which is really saying something.

31. Lincoln Taft Friday 25 February, 2011 at 5:04 pm #

Wonderful. What a beautiful post.