these friday things

been wanting to watch seinfeld lately. everything about this picture = the nineties to me. especially elaine’s backpack and the way her jersey is tied around her waist.

my favourite street style shot of the entire week at from me to you

disassembly project by todd mclellan

moulin rouge in 1958 at stay fancy free

au coin de ma rue via where the lovely things are

malick sidibé

kate shares her beauty products – super helpful for people (like me) who are lazy about make-up.

been listening to way too much ABBA. agnetha was a fox.

a private collection of swedish ceramics is up for auction at bukowski’s. i like this polar bear.

… and these stoneware miniatures

kristina’s illustration of hair colour at jeremy scott fall 2011

read hila’s great review of black swan

holiday houses at solid frog

i’m going to go watch U2 tonight. all i want is for them to play their old music & i’ll be happy.

post-script: new radiohead! remember: album coming tomorrow.

and finally, this poem via teenangster – words to live by.

Homage to My Hips
by Lucille Clifton

these hips are big hips.
they need space to
move around in.
they don’t fit into little
petty places. these hips
are free hips.
they don’t like to be held back.
these hips have never been enslaved,
they go where they want to go
they do what they want to do.
these hips are mighty hips.
these hips are magic hips.
i have known them
to put a spell on a man and
spin him like a top

, , , ,

11 Responses to these friday things

1. size too small Friday 18 February, 2011 at 10:05 am #

everyone i know is going to U2- (including andrew) except me! i think i’m the only person on the planet that doesnt dig their music. but i hear they put on a good show- have fun!

2. Miss Moss Friday 18 February, 2011 at 10:11 am #

i grew up listening to them because of my brother – he is 10 years older than me & a big U2 fan. i used to listen to his copies of achtung baby & the joshua tree. so you know, i love their old music – anything pre-Pop (or even pre-Zooropa, though I love ‘Stay’ from that album)

i also saw them live the first time they came to SA in 1998 – my first concert ever (i was 14) and they were so good.

so you know, as long as they play with or without you / one / sunday bloody sunday / where the streets have no name / stay / all i want is you / mysterious ways / pride… any of the old classics!

3. Koek! Friday 18 February, 2011 at 12:44 pm #

Love, love, love the Seinfeld picture! Thanks – feel all nostalgic now…

4. Lexie Friday 18 February, 2011 at 5:52 pm #

i get shit for liking U2 all the time — the joshua tree was the first album i ever heard as a child so they have a very special place in my heart. have fun tonight!

5. Amber Friday 18 February, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

I’ve been following your blog for a few weeks now and I love it. Obviously, I know nothing about you, but from your photo choice, we have a million things in common. Here’s to blogging kindred spirits. The shot from fashion week was also one of my fav. street fashion shots.
    Cheers!

6. PATTERN OBSERVER Friday 18 February, 2011 at 7:38 pm #

I love the seinfeld post! All of their outfits are hysterical! I have been meaning to blog about all the crazy patterns that Kramer wears..I’ll let you know when I get to that. have a great weekend!

7. Mallory Friday 18 February, 2011 at 10:48 pm #

I went through a major ABBA listening spree a few months ago. I drove everyone around me nearly insane.

8. cez Friday 18 February, 2011 at 11:03 pm #

so fantastic post!!! amazing picture … just feeling nostalgic about the 90s…Love it!!!!! have a sweet weekend!!!!

9. hila Saturday 19 February, 2011 at 6:33 am #

oh thanks Diana! Glad you like my review. I think I may have ruffled some feathers (pun intended), but hey, it’s my review.

Don’t laugh, but I used to have one of those backpacks, and tied my sweaters around my waist. 90s-tragique.

10. banana Sunday 20 February, 2011 at 7:21 am #

My boyfriend recently downloaded every episode of Seinfeld, ever, and we have been watching them in chronological order. I’ve been really pleased to discover episodes that I’d never seen, or never seen in their entirety! It’s also hilarious to look at Elaine and think that 95% of the time, if you changed her hair and tightened her pants, she could have been plucked right off the streets of Williamsburg, Brooklyn circa now.

• Miss Moss Sunday 20 February, 2011 at 10:31 am #

haha, the exact same thing is happening in cape town – all the ‘hip’ kids are dressing like your average nineties gal.