Fumio Watanabe

you know, i swear a LOT in real life. i first spotted Fumio Watanabe‘s work on Kistina’s tumblr, and when i clicked through to his portfolio i actually said, out loud, “fucking hell.” i try to keep things clean on the blog because i know a lot of people don’t appreciate swearing (apologies for all the trash talk) – but i have to be honest with you, his work is so fucking mind blowing i consequently swore more than usual. but in a good way… a great way!

and it’s not digital guys – these are painted! either acrylic or gouache, i’m not sure (lots of japanese to google translate)

, , , , ,

14 Responses to Fumio Watanabe

1. Belinda Friday 25 February, 2011 at 10:16 am #

That’s a well-deserved f-bomb. Those paintings are fabulous.

On a side note, I am glad to see that I am not the only one around here with a gutter mouth. I have a terrible swearing habit – it’s a hard one to break isn’t it!

2. eabrea Friday 25 February, 2011 at 10:28 am #

absolutely wonderful! i love how the shadows are depicted, marvelous!

3. petra Friday 25 February, 2011 at 11:19 am #

they are great, but also a bit freaky for me… that’s looks exactly like where I grew up…. just with a sick twist (which would be exactly what it deserves!)

4. mette / ungt blod Friday 25 February, 2011 at 1:01 pm #

Fantastic! thanks for the tip

5. Sarah Friday 25 February, 2011 at 3:17 pm #

I love them! They make me think of sleeping beauty for some reason.

6. Cliodhna Friday 25 February, 2011 at 3:31 pm #

holy shiiiiiiiit. i just did a painting module in college and it is SO hard. I am in awe. forever.

7. Amy Friday 25 February, 2011 at 5:14 pm #

Wow! The strong language is totally deserved.
    These paintings remind me a lot of Grant Wood’s landscapes, except fresh and updated. A perfect mix of both modern and pastoral. Love them!

8. Dennis Friday 25 February, 2011 at 5:41 pm #

happy birthday blog!

9. Katie Friday 25 February, 2011 at 6:35 pm #

Yes, these are fantastic enough to warrant online swearing!

10. Janet Friday 25 February, 2011 at 9:48 pm #

Holy cripes on a sh#t shingle!! These pieces are just incredibly fantastic and I had the exact same reaction as you did.

11. Emily Saturday 26 February, 2011 at 4:13 am #

O. M. G. They almost made me sort of squint… like my eyes thought they were little windows into bright little worlds! Pretty incredible.

12. Adriana Saturday 26 February, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

All the swearing justified! These are just incredible! And they kind of remind me of this
    dress I’m drooling about!

13. Eva @ Four Leaf Clover Monday 28 February, 2011 at 1:36 pm #

These are amazing! I’m SO glad you posted them. So much detail.. I can’t imagine how much time each one takes.

14. Tabitha/Ms. Awesome Tuesday 1 March, 2011 at 5:49 am #

Oh wow! These are so amazing, and awesome, and happy, AND, AND, AND.
    They’re just fabulous.
    Definitely worth swearing over.