Olnick Spanu House

my love for modernist houses is never ending – a trait i share with my brother the architect,  whose knowledge of architecture and rad homes eclipses any one i know. he also has an impressive encyclopedic reference for hilarious simpsons quotes, but that’s a story for another time.

this house is the kind of place i could happily spend some alone time in.

The place is of profound tranquility where after a day of rain and fog an intense light reflects in the stilled mirror of the majestic Hudson River’s deep waters. A place where twilights are a thousand colors as the water breaks into a thousand reflections. A place where the air is clean and calm, and mild. One could say a place that is very close to heaven. In this impressive place, we establish a plane, a platform that underlines the landscape before us, seeking to enhance it.

whoa, pretty much the most poetic architects ever.

, , ,

11 Responses to Olnick Spanu House

1. Anna Monday 28 February, 2011 at 12:31 pm #

It looks like a place where a bunch of murders would go down. It reminds me of a horror movie I saw ages ago.

I’m enjoying reading your ‘things I love’ lists!

2. banana Monday 28 February, 2011 at 5:00 pm #

Haha, seriously, the first thing I thought was “holy crap, I’d lose my mind living in that place!” I’m ALL for light, and white, but this place just feels so…exposed. Freakin’ me out.

3. Miss Moss Monday 28 February, 2011 at 5:05 pm #

yeah. i don’t think i could live there either (though it all depends on how i would decorate it) – but i think that drinking a coffee on a cold morning overlooking that view would be an amazing thing to do.

4. Looks Good To Me! Monday 28 February, 2011 at 8:34 pm #

I feel like I could live here in a heartbeat actually! It is gorgeous inside & out and in one of my favorite places in the universe! Maybe add some semi-transparent blinds for privacy but I doubt I’d ever use them. Nature provides the perfect screen. Thanks for sharing this!

5. florence Monday 28 February, 2011 at 10:42 pm #

love! i would also totally live here… it would make even rainy days seem dreamy.

6. Meagan Tuesday 1 March, 2011 at 2:42 am #

I’ll take it! It feels like a breath of fresh air!

7. Thibaut Tuesday 1 March, 2011 at 11:12 am #

Although it’s quite well done, it’s more of a copy of the iconic Farnsworth’s House by Mies Van Der Rohe, the original glass house with canopy, achieved in 1951!. Try to live in that one, that would be like becoming an art piece… I would love it !

8. Miss Moss Tuesday 1 March, 2011 at 11:16 am #

i suppose you can say that any modernist house is a ‘copy’ of a mies van der rohe / gropius / le corbusier masterpiece… ;)

9. lorraine pennington Tuesday 1 March, 2011 at 11:23 am #

so open and airy , love that it is tucked away in the hills with all the trees

10. Kelly Tuesday 1 March, 2011 at 4:02 pm #

I am a true modernist, I love the light that fill up the space in modern houses, there is more connection with the outside. A very beautiful space.

11. Jess Wednesday 2 March, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

so beautiful – it does have a similar feel to the farnsworth house, but a more spectacular outlook. for those addicted to modernist architecture, read ‘the glass room’ by simon mawer – a novel set in mies van der rohe’s tugendhat house… it’s amaaaaaazing :) thanks for another awesome post!