Photography

transkei

mike tymbios is a talented photographer and in his own words a real film dork. these are his shots from a recent trip to the transkei. i’ve always wanted to go there & am ashamed of myself that i’ve never been – that feeling multiplied in quick succession with every photograph i saw on mike’s blog. an excellent reminder that our country is ridiculously rad.

also check out his flickr

Previous Post Next Post

• Reply Brit Monday 28 February, 2011 at 4:44 pm

these pictures are beautiful! i love how your blog is about anything and everything. keep up the wonderful posts.

• Reply Jan Monday 28 February, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Awesome photograph: the first one since my computer isn’t pulling up the rest yet. And yes, you do need to take that trip and soon. Went to See Mike’s flickr and saw a bunch of other great shots. Love his sense of painterly portraiture, especially of couples. I could easily use his images to paint from … but that would be cheating, so I have to use my own to work from.

I am embarrassed to admit that this is the first time I’ve heard of Transkei … and embarrassed to admit that I don’t often get those CAPTCHA Codes (verification that I am a human) on the first go (lol.)

Jan @

• Reply Woolies Tuesday 1 March, 2011 at 3:42 am

Wow, I’m awestruck by these pics. Where is Transkei? Off to google..

sara @

• Reply Janine Tuesday 1 March, 2011 at 7:17 am

Ah, the good old days when a couple of us stole away from Rhodes to go get “lost” along the Transkei coast. Remote, wild and totally lovely… these images by Mike take me right back. Awesome.

• Reply Thomas Tuesday 1 March, 2011 at 7:52 am

The best!

Mike is a genius.

• Reply Sarah Tuesday 1 March, 2011 at 3:05 pm

One of my favorite places in the world. Thanks for posting these incredible photos.

• Reply Lauren Tuesday 1 March, 2011 at 8:56 pm

My aunt & uncle have a farm up in the transkei & we often go up there. It’s a magical place, you truly feel transported to a different, more peaceful world when you’re there.

• Reply garret Monday 7 March, 2011 at 9:44 am

i like the first and the sixth ones the most. mike makes it easy to imagine yourself there. his choice in film was perfect for the colors and the cool/wet environment she shot. he used his tools well to tell a story.