transkei

mike tymbios is a talented photographer and in his own words a real film dork. these are his shots from a recent trip to the transkei. i’ve always wanted to go there & am ashamed of myself that i’ve never been – that feeling multiplied in quick succession with every photograph i saw on mike’s blog. an excellent reminder that our country is ridiculously rad.

also check out his flickr

, , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to transkei

1. Brit Monday 28 February, 2011 at 4:44 pm #

these pictures are beautiful! i love how your blog is about anything and everything. keep up the wonderful posts.

2. Jan Monday 28 February, 2011 at 6:46 pm #

Awesome photograph: the first one since my computer isn’t pulling up the rest yet. And yes, you do need to take that trip and soon. Went to See Mike’s flickr and saw a bunch of other great shots. Love his sense of painterly portraiture, especially of couples. I could easily use his images to paint from … but that would be cheating, so I have to use my own to work from.

I am embarrassed to admit that this is the first time I’ve heard of Transkei … and embarrassed to admit that I don’t often get those CAPTCHA Codes (verification that I am a human) on the first go (lol.)

Jan @

3. Woolies Tuesday 1 March, 2011 at 3:42 am #

Wow, I’m awestruck by these pics. Where is Transkei? Off to google..

sara @

4. Janine Tuesday 1 March, 2011 at 7:17 am #

Ah, the good old days when a couple of us stole away from Rhodes to go get “lost” along the Transkei coast. Remote, wild and totally lovely… these images by Mike take me right back. Awesome.

5. Thomas Tuesday 1 March, 2011 at 7:52 am #

The best!

Mike is a genius.

6. Sarah Tuesday 1 March, 2011 at 3:05 pm #

One of my favorite places in the world. Thanks for posting these incredible photos.

7. Lauren Tuesday 1 March, 2011 at 8:56 pm #

My aunt & uncle have a farm up in the transkei & we often go up there. It’s a magical place, you truly feel transported to a different, more peaceful world when you’re there.

8. garret Monday 7 March, 2011 at 9:44 am #

i like the first and the sixth ones the most. mike makes it easy to imagine yourself there. his choice in film was perfect for the colors and the cool/wet environment she shot. he used his tools well to tell a story.