Art, Fashion

rainy day special

a series i love so much i actually have to hold myself back from making more. trying to keep these relatively few and far between because i know that if i didn’t they would become boring. it would be like eating pancakes every day. where’s the fun in that? pancakes are so good because you only have them now and then – usually when it’s raining. apparently only a south african / afrikaans thing … or … something only my mom did? consequently not a rainy day goes by without the thought of pancakes now. anyway, i think you get it. colour comparisons = pancakes in this roundabout analogy.

see the rest of the colour comparisons.

ps: it’s not actually raining here, but i hope it is somewhere.

lee olivieramaurice denis – parisians at the seaside, evening

altamirawilliam merritt chase – portrait of miss e.

streetstyle aestheticcharles w. hawthorne – woman in green

style sightings / charles ernest rodolphe henri lehmann – faustine leo

trendy crew / mucha – portrait of maruska

vanessa jackmanedouard manet – parisienne, portrait of madame jules guillemet

the sartorialistcharles w. hawthorne – the lovers

the sartorialistmary cassatt – the letter

Previous Post Next Post

• Reply Anna Monday 28 March, 2011 at 8:18 am

I love this!!! great idea and perfect match:-)

Anna
    x

• Reply Flora Monday 28 March, 2011 at 9:04 am

Absolutely beautiful. i love everything about this post. the colours, the clothes, art and stylre :)

• Reply Christine @ Fash n Chips Monday 28 March, 2011 at 9:22 am

This is perfect! So original :)

• Reply Gabija Monday 28 March, 2011 at 9:27 am

I really enjoy these series.

• Reply Catriona Monday 28 March, 2011 at 10:22 am

Lovely. I just started reading your blog a few weeks ago, and I have to say it’s become one of my all-time favourites, I love it. Thank you!

• Reply Miss Moss Monday 28 March, 2011 at 2:58 pm

thank you very much – i appreciate the visit!

• Reply Siubhan Monday 28 March, 2011 at 10:35 am

I do enjoy a roundabout analogy. These comparisons are so pretty – such perfect colours for every hemisphere right now! I particularly like the last one.

• Reply Lauren Monday 28 March, 2011 at 11:15 am

Yeah but I think I might just love these as much as pancakes, which means they could never be boring! make more I say!

• Reply Katie Monday 28 March, 2011 at 11:28 am

The last set is especially stunning.

• Reply andrea Monday 28 March, 2011 at 11:50 am

ohhh but I love these posts :D

• Reply Belinda Monday 28 March, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Ok, two things. The first is that I love th necklace in that first image. Especially over the chambray shirt.

Secondly, I have never heard of pancakes on a rainy day.On weekends, yes, but not rainy days specifically! I love it though. It reckon it sounds like a family-specific tradition!

My mum had her own breakfast tradition – She would make us porridge in the morning before school and if we were happy, we got a happy face in raspberry jam on top. If we were in a bad mood we got a sad face instead. I would do anything not to get that sad face – I despised it. If I have little ones, I will SO be passing this tradition on! You have to pass the pancake tradition on!!

• Reply Miss Moss Monday 28 March, 2011 at 2:58 pm

what a great story! definitely something you should pass on.

eating pancakes on rainy days here is actually a south african ‘thing’ (if you click on the pancakes link above you’ll understand why.) when i was small i thought it was just something my mom did, but realised inevitably that it was a tradition passed down through the generations.

very cool nonetheless, and something i will definitely pass on if i ever have kids some day!

• Reply Belinda Wednesday 30 March, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Ooh I love it. And with cinnamon sugar and lemon juice! Pancakes are so comforting, aren’t they?

As I get older I am really coming to appreciate cultural (and family) traditions like this. Maybe its because I get closer to potentially having little ones of my own.

• Reply Caitlin Rose Monday 28 March, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I don’t know how you come up with these, but they are so stunning, and so interesting. thank you!

• Reply Shelby Monday 28 March, 2011 at 3:46 pm

These are so stunning and neat!
    AND its raining here so its a rainy day special for me :)

• Reply alice Monday 28 March, 2011 at 3:50 pm

you’re simply amazing – this is a beautiful post!

• Reply Katie Monday 28 March, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I love these posts so. much. So creative…the last set is my favorite for sure.

• Reply tara-lynn Monday 28 March, 2011 at 4:40 pm

i always look forward to these posts! love them!

• Reply pamela Monday 28 March, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Oh, you can do as many of these as you wish! I find them utterly irresistible and I grin like a monkey every time you post another! They’re like witchcraft, I don’t know how you do it!!

And, yes, it’s raining here!

• Reply Lexie Monday 28 March, 2011 at 6:14 pm

It’s really hard for me to decide which I love more, this series or your bi-monthly mixtapes. Your blog is so awesome.

• Reply Anna Monday 28 March, 2011 at 7:30 pm

you’re a genius!

• Reply julochka Monday 28 March, 2011 at 7:34 pm

so very well done. you’ve got a great eye!

• Reply Oana-Emilia Monday 28 March, 2011 at 9:11 pm

wonderful post!

• Reply carina Tuesday 29 March, 2011 at 2:09 am

Such a wonderful post – as always. You seriously need to publish a book with all these. I hope you have already been contacted by someone!?

• Reply katrina Tuesday 29 March, 2011 at 3:37 am

does anyone know the purse that is in both the altamira and the streetstyle pic?

• Reply Rachel Tuesday 29 March, 2011 at 4:16 am

Yours is, hands down, my favourite blog at present. Keeping me inspired – Thank you!!

• Reply Brianne Tuesday 29 March, 2011 at 5:55 am

I love this, your comparisons are perfect.

• Reply Feminine Touch Tuesday 29 March, 2011 at 9:52 am

Amazing project.

• Reply Justine Tuesday 29 March, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Brilliant, brilliant pairings. I’m an art junkie, and I love how you’ve incorporated our newest form of street art with more classic paintings. I stumbled across your blog recently, and you are always my morning go-to for inspiration. Thank you for all the daily awesomeness!!

• Reply Jag Tuesday 29 March, 2011 at 4:11 pm

a.m.a.z.i.n.g.!!!

• Reply Jo Tuesday 29 March, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I worship these posts…

• Reply matita Tuesday 29 March, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I love this as well. I wouldn’t mind it see it everyday. But then again, I wouldn’t mind eating pancakes everyday either.=)

• Reply anne Tuesday 29 March, 2011 at 11:41 pm

that’s very funny!

• Reply Clare Wednesday 30 March, 2011 at 12:26 am

I adore the colours in these outfits! The last one is my absolute fave.

• Reply hannah Wednesday 30 March, 2011 at 2:15 am

Oh you are a woman after my own heart. This is absolutely delicious and indeed inspiring. Am definitely excited to have stumbled upon your blog through this series!
    xx

• Reply sayran Wednesday 30 March, 2011 at 4:39 am

what a lovely post! refreshing way to look at street style photos!

• Reply sara Wednesday 30 March, 2011 at 7:58 am

Wow! I am amazed. Your blog is amazing. Trust me, posting stuff like this will never be boring. Please keep going.
    New fan and will now become an avid reader.

• Reply Anthea Wednesday 30 March, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Simply amazing!

• Reply lucinda Wednesday 30 March, 2011 at 6:51 pm

wonderful..most charming thing i’ve seen in a while …..very very well done

• Reply a la mode Wednesday 30 March, 2011 at 10:13 pm

This is so amazingly beautiful!

• Reply Sumo Wednesday 30 March, 2011 at 10:46 pm

love the reference to the paintings
    these are beautiful

• Reply Simone Leblanc Thursday 31 March, 2011 at 1:30 am

These are absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply ALMA, MY ONLINE MAGAZINE Thursday 31 March, 2011 at 10:18 am

STUNNING!
    I LOVE THAT!

• Reply Julia Thursday 31 March, 2011 at 12:43 pm

This is such a good idea! Congratulations!

• Reply Nadia - Cupcake Couture Thursday 31 March, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Could this be the most beautiful one yet!
    I saw last night on Twitter – that SusieBubble had mentioned the pic and your blog. That is really amazing…well done. x

• Reply Naftali Stern @ The Bohmerian Thursday 31 March, 2011 at 4:23 pm

These are fantastic! My favorite is the last one and only because I feel as if both characters are in the same mindset. Beautiful post.

• Reply coconut Thursday 31 March, 2011 at 6:33 pm

what a clever post!

• Reply poet Thursday 31 March, 2011 at 6:42 pm

These are so great! You have to make more, they are not boring at all! How did you find them – do you just have such an amazing memory of works of art and blogger outfits, or is there a way to search for them according to color palettes?

• Reply Skinny laMinx Sunday 3 April, 2011 at 5:46 pm

That’s amazing. You are awesome!

• Reply Lu Leoback Wednesday 6 April, 2011 at 5:19 am

Very beautiful, Diana!Congratulations dear…
    Lu Leoback
    Brasil-Rio de Janeiro

• Reply shanna Thursday 4 August, 2011 at 12:06 am

my god those women have style to make you turn green !

• Reply :) Sunday 25 December, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I love this series so, so much! Thank you for introducing me to some great art and helping me think about color in a new way :)

• Reply Juxtapositie « caeruleaflagrantia Saturday 24 March, 2012 at 2:40 pm