Stuff

Busypants

finally got my hands on a copy of bossypants yesterday (i had to wait for the ipad kindle edition since the actual book isn’t available in south africa yet. like most good things i anticipate it won’t be for a while.) i got home from work, made myself comfortable on the couch and didn’t move for the next 5 hours. then i got into bed and read some more. according to this fancy contraption i’m 80% through this puppy. can never seem to pace myself with something that is so good. my favourite bit (so far) would have to be where tina talks about her dad don fey. this gem specifically:

Before I was born, my mother took my brother to Greece for the whole summer to visit family. When they were finally coming back, my dad washed and waxed his Chevy convertible, put on his best sharkskin suit, and drove all the way from Philadelphia to New York International Airport to pick them up.

Their flight was due to arrive early in the morning, so Don Fey, who is never late for anything, got to the airport just before dawn. As he popped on his sweet lid and walked across the deserted parking lot toward the terminal, he saw two black gentlemen approaching from far away. He played it cool to hide his apprehension. He was in New York, after all, one of the world’s most dangerous cities if you’re from any other city, and from far away in the dark he couldn’t tell if the guys were airport employees or loiterers.

As they got closer, he noticed they were staring him down, he continued to play it cool. Don Fey had grown up in West Philly, where he lived comfortably as a Caucasian minority. Of course these guys didn’t know that. His heart was beating a little faster as they came within ten feet of each other.

The guys looked at him intently, then one turned to the other and said, “That is one boss, bold, bladed motherfucker.”

consequently i don’t have much to share today. so here’s a little interview i did with amber at her new blog (south african readers will know amber from the mr. price blog.) she gussied it up to another level, seriously.

i can also reveal a nice little colour comparisons project for J.Crew with their fall collection that is up on their blog! i’m quite amazed that so many of these big fashion companies have their official blogs on tumblr… kudos to tumblr. here are a couple of the comparisons that didn’t make the cut, see their blog for the rest.

paintings from top to bottom: Henri Rousseau – Forest RendezvousAxel Fridell – Interior with NapoleonLovis Corinth – Wilhelmina with a ballHenri Fantin-Latour – A Large Bouquet of Roses

Previous Post Next Post

• Reply Giselle Tuesday 19 April, 2011 at 9:00 am

that’s huge! congrats miss moss!

• Reply hila Tuesday 19 April, 2011 at 10:04 am

way to go diana!! does this mean you’re famous? ;)

• Reply JP Tuesday 19 April, 2011 at 12:04 pm

What? That’s amazing. You must be so stoked! Well done. Your blog is really great.

• Reply andrea Tuesday 19 April, 2011 at 3:22 pm

oh gosh, that excerpt is hilarious!

i loved learning more about you at “thunder in our hearts”! and i really love your blog :)

• Reply Monique Tuesday 19 April, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Wow Congrats lady. I’m def going to buy Tina Fey’s book that was such a great excerpt

• Reply victoria Tuesday 19 April, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Can’t wait to read Tina’s book … I’m only like 3,221 in line on the waiting list at the Seattle Public Library. (also, love the Jcrew spread)

• Reply Lolawashername.com Tuesday 19 April, 2011 at 4:43 pm

…I did the EXACT same thing this weekend re: Bossypants {check out my post from yesterday along with a shot of T looking pregnant and STUNNING!}. xo Lola

• Reply pamela Tuesday 19 April, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I mean it… you’re a genius.

I heard an interview with Tina Fey on National Public Radio yesterday. She’s a genius, too.

• Reply SeeSaw Designs Tuesday 19 April, 2011 at 5:56 pm

i’ve been dying to read bossypants, like everyone else. tina is just hilarious.

i LOVE those comparisons. really pretty.

• Reply biginmyhead Tuesday 19 April, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Ok.You are officially my hero.

• Reply Aja Tuesday 19 April, 2011 at 10:38 pm

You did a really good job with this (as always)! Here’s to your star rising.

• Reply Anabela Tuesday 19 April, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Agreed! I loved the parts about Don Fey. What a cool dude. And congrats on the J. Crew gig!

• Reply florence Wednesday 20 April, 2011 at 12:39 am

congrats! commissioned by jcrew, how cool! there was also a great terry gross ‘fresh air’ interview with tina fey on npr last week, promoting her book. love the cover and title of that book.

• Reply Meagan Wednesday 20 April, 2011 at 1:15 am

J.Crew??!?! Holy goodness, congrats! Well deserved. I love that excerpt from Bossypants, Don Fey sounds like one cool dude.

• Reply kate Wednesday 20 April, 2011 at 4:10 am

I want her dad to be my dad! That was also my favorite part until I got to the chapter about Lorne Michaels. Perhaps a tie.

• Reply Vanessa Davis Wednesday 20 April, 2011 at 6:52 am

Congratulations! Well deserved and beautifully curated!

• Reply carina Wednesday 20 April, 2011 at 8:53 am

Congratulations! I see that book I mentioned earlier coming up in the future?! You are so talented.

• Reply Simone Leblanc Friday 22 April, 2011 at 1:26 am

This is stunning! I LOVE this. The color correlations. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Holland@ Pearls & Bliss Thursday 28 April, 2011 at 6:00 pm

These are so beautiful! I love the concept and the execution is perfection!! You are so inspiring to a new blogger like myself. xoxoxo