aeroplane
Music

In the aeroplane over the sea

i once had an awful time on a flight from bloemfontein to cape town (which is, luckily, a pretty short route) and the only thing that got me through it was listening to sufjan stevens with my head resting on the window, staring out at the clouds. that’s not to say i don’t love flying – i have the opposite sentiment actually. traveling is one of my favourite things in the entire world and the thought of getting on a plane to go somewhere anywhere always excites me… but i’m thankful for the soothing tunes that rescued me during that almost unbearable hour and a half.

this mix has a pretty electronic leaning with some mellow tunes thrown in here and there. the kind of stuff i’d listen to in the airport before a flight or when i’m already settled on the plane, flipping through a magazine or trying to have a nap. sometimes it’s more like a pretend nap since i try to avoid talking to people on a  flight… just let me sit in my little chair with whatever it is i’m occupying my time with and leave me be. i don’t want to know where you’re going! we’re flying to the same place, aren’t we? yet another reason why the headphones + music buffer is essential.

In the aeroplane over the sea. listen above or on 8tracks. playlist:

1. Pogo – Alice in Wonderland / Very Good Advice (Remix)*
  2. Geographer – Rushing In, Rushing Out
  3. Memory Tapes – Wait In The Dark
  4. The Postal Service – Recycled Air
  5. Junior Boys – EP
  6. The Whitest Boy Alive – Courage
  7. Radiohead – Everything in its Right Place (Gigamesh / DiscoTech Remix)
  8. Air France – Collapsing At Your Doorstep
  9. Hot Chip – Alley Cats
  10. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. – God Only Knows (The Beach Boys Cover)
  11. Chromatic Flights – Home Is More
  12. Acrylics – Sparrow Song

* i’m a big fan of the original alice in wonderland and spoke about this remix here.

Previous Post Next Post

• Reply Mariyuki Friday 20 May, 2011 at 8:45 am

Great as usual
    Thank very much!

• Reply C Friday 20 May, 2011 at 8:56 am

Even though I often enjoy random conversations, I’m pretty much the same way on most flights– especially on red-eyes when I’m bleary and incoherent anyway.

Thanks for the mix! The cover really reminds me of Wes Anderson– the font, the tone of the photo… It’s sweet.

• Reply Miss Moss Friday 20 May, 2011 at 5:43 pm

the cover design was totally deliberate… glad someone picked that up ;)

• Reply Michelle Friday 20 May, 2011 at 9:41 am

I distinctly remember watching a VHS-taped-from-TV-with-with-some-parts-missing-where-Grandpa-dozed-off version of Alice in Wonderland, so it was even trippier than usual – LoL!

• Reply Alexandra Stephanie Friday 20 May, 2011 at 10:16 am

A while ago I bumped into your blog. Since then it’s been a constantly pleasure for me to read it every day. Thank you so much for brightening my each day.
    Ciao!

• Reply francesca Friday 20 May, 2011 at 11:10 am

the download stops at 40%!!
    any suggestions??
    we want to ear your mix for this working friday!

• Reply Miss Moss Friday 20 May, 2011 at 11:13 am

hi francesca. unfortunately that’s not something i control… might be an issue with mediafire. try refreshing or downloading from another browser maybe? as far as i know there haven’t been any problems downloading it. if i receive more complaints i’ll reupload it or try to find an alternative host…

• Reply francesca Friday 20 May, 2011 at 11:21 am

thank you darling!
    we’ve tried for every computer of the studio, but we will try again…
    big fans here!

• Reply Adele Friday 20 May, 2011 at 2:51 pm

“Collapsing at Your Doorstep” is such a wonderful song! Love your blog…

• Reply Carla Friday 20 May, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Always get so excited to see your new mixes! Thanks again :)

• Reply Jordana @ White Cabana Friday 20 May, 2011 at 7:46 pm

YES! New music for the long weekend. Many many thanks!
    Jordana

• Reply Jordan Friday 20 May, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I’m with you! I happen to love airports and planes because it means going somewhere. This mix is great! thanks!

• Reply Jatavius Friday 20 May, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Great to meet another fan of Neutral Milk Hotel.

• Reply kate Saturday 21 May, 2011 at 12:12 am

this cover is some hot wes anderson deliciousness! Sometimes I just want to make mixes so I can make the cover. I think you feel me on this:)

• Reply sami Saturday 21 May, 2011 at 3:49 am

so surprised you called this “in the aeroplane over the sea” and then failed to include anything from the neutral milk hotel album bearing the same name!! look into it. you will fall. in. love.

xo
    sami

• Reply Bre Saturday 21 May, 2011 at 5:04 am

Every time I click on the direct link it says the server is down for that page:(
    p.s. I love all your mixes they have improved my ipod immensely

• Reply Miss Moss Saturday 21 May, 2011 at 12:23 pm

ah no, been having some trouble with mediafire… maybe try the normal link? i need to find another host maybe…. any suggestions welcome.

• Reply Bre Sunday 22 May, 2011 at 8:30 am

It worked this time:)

• Reply Katie Monday 23 May, 2011 at 3:59 am

you have the best mixes! i love your blog!

• Reply Aja Wednesday 25 May, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I’m going to listen to all these songs and take your mix. I used to be terrified of flying due to an awful time in a plane over the Atlantic. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one.

• Reply Eva / Sycamore Street Press Monday 30 May, 2011 at 3:26 am

You knew you’d draw us in with the title. :) Great mix!

• Reply Swati Thursday 2 June, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Your taste in music, as well as your cover designs, are brilliant! I love all your mixes and I always look forward to the next one.
    You should probably find a way onto this website: http://designers.mx/

(I have no idea how to contribute, as you require an invite, but I’m sure you could snag one!)