Vintage

Ginger Odes

i’ve been trying to get my inbox organised (which, as everyone besides the obsessively organised know, is a task). there are many emails in my ‘starred’ folder from myself to myself reminding me of things, websites, interesting stuff i’ve come across… an inbox bookmarks folder if you will. i decided to clean it up and do some much needed deleting, which is when i found a reminder from over a year ago to post about photographer Ginger Odes. no time like the present.

Born in Cape Town in 1924, Ginger’s career was rooted in the air force as a reconnaissance and aerial photographer during World War II. After the war, he returned home to set up a photographic studio in Parliament Street, Cape Town … He soon made a name for himself for his work in fashion for clients including Harper and Vogue, who published a South African edition at the time.

read more about Ginger Odes here. images courtesy of Gallery F and PapaSA.

Previous Post Next Post

• Reply Anthea Wednesday 25 May, 2011 at 11:49 am

Wow! it’s really something to see the streets of Cape Town in those days.

• Reply Den Wednesday 25 May, 2011 at 12:50 pm

check out the Bo-Kaap!

• Reply Alexandra Stephanie Wednesday 25 May, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I dedicate this song to you. :)

• Reply Molly Cooper Wednesday 25 May, 2011 at 2:15 pm

My goodness, these photos are all sorts of fabulous. Each one has such character!

• Reply Sage Parker Wednesday 25 May, 2011 at 2:59 pm

he is incredible!!!
    i went to school for photography and never came across his work. such a gift to see such an amazing photographer.
    thanks for sharing.
    xoxo

• Reply Aja Wednesday 25 May, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Oh good job you. Remember when I asked about pictures of people of color, from the past and you had mentioned that they’re hard to come across? I would agree, they definitely are (I have tried myself), but these are nice. I like the little boy leaning against the car.

• Reply Caitlin Rose Wednesday 25 May, 2011 at 3:43 pm

ahhhh! So glad you found this! what amazing photographs. I love the woman with the flowers! her blazer is unreal. Oh thank you so much for finding this.

• Reply HuntGatherFashion Wednesday 25 May, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I love these. Especially the shot of the little boy and his dad by the ships!

• Reply Catherine at Littlehouse of Style Wednesday 25 May, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I just discovered your wonderful blog. Between this post and the Mariell Amélie one, I am sold. Can’t wait to see what amazing things you post next! : )

• Reply andrea Wednesday 25 May, 2011 at 6:28 pm

ha, i must be obsessively organized (as if i didn’t already know…) because i never have to clean out my inbox! but i do email myself all the time :P

• Reply JP Wednesday 25 May, 2011 at 7:22 pm

These photos are great. I drove around Glenwood the other day. I like to classify it as old Durban. It was one of the first neighbourhoods in Durban, so a large portion of the homes are among Durban’s first. Had an amazing day exploring!

• Reply Sam Thursday 26 May, 2011 at 4:38 am

I don’t know a whole bunch about early 20thC South Africa. It’s really nice to see these. :) It’s sort of funny how even though I’m from New Zealand I feel a small connection to SA because we have such a growing SA population here and I know several people who are either from SA or have lived there (my sister-in-law being one).

• Reply Becca Thursday 26 May, 2011 at 2:50 pm

love these old pictures!
    thanks for sharing. so neat to look at.

• Reply Philippa Thursday 26 May, 2011 at 3:06 pm

What an amazing find. Your blog is absolutely fabulous!

• Reply Mandy Friday 27 May, 2011 at 3:37 pm

These are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Curious Constellation Saturday 28 May, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Thanks for posting these! Wow. I’m always interested in anything historical and photographically orientated and then you add my favourite city into the mix and it’s perfect.

• Reply Jennifer Monday 30 May, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Hey, that’s my granny on the deck of the boat!! How cool! It’s from an old cigarette ad or calender – my mom has the original shot – this looks like a behind the scenes of that shoot. She did loads of modeling. Here’s a pic of her on the cover of vogue http://captainjennifer.posterous.com/my-gran-the-model-british-vogue-1953

• Reply Megan Monday 6 June, 2011 at 2:56 pm

This is a collection of photographic gems! I love seeing Cape Town through the vintage lens of the fifties. Thanks for sharing these.