In which I gush about Anjelica

the first time i saw Anjelica Huston in a film was when she played Morticia in Addams Family. i was probably around 9 or 10 years old and just fell completely in love with her. she was the first woman in whom i recognised what sex appeal was – in a cool, understated, knowing way that wasn’t garish. which i suppose is a pretty significant moment for a kid on the cusp of learning about all that stuff and would become my benchmark of what sex appeal should be. some say she has a femme fatale quality about her but personally i think the term gentlewoman applies perfectly to Anjelica (that might be the influence of all those Wes Anderson characters talking). a gentlewoman femme fatale… perhaps.

another film that she was in that i loved as a kid (and still do) was The Witches. i am of course a massive Roald Dahl fan, and so had read & loved the book as a youngster… i kind of wanted the grand high witch to win in the end just because she was so cool in her portrayal.

my image sources here are pretty shit, i do apologise. most of these pics were saved to my computer anyway (…) – some of them are from youthquakers (specifically the old vogue shoots) and a few are from this great article.

, , , , , ,

29 Responses to In which I gush about Anjelica

1. Sandi Tuesday 7 June, 2011 at 4:27 pm #

Such a classy babe! Loved The Witches when I was a kid. Maybe it’s time for a nostalgia viewing…

2. Lauren Tuesday 7 June, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

Love her! She is a wonderful actress and such a great inspiration.

3. Megu Tuesday 7 June, 2011 at 5:31 pm #

ooh!! I love your blog and thank you so much for this post!!!!

4. S Tuesday 7 June, 2011 at 5:59 pm #

WOW that sixth-from-the-bottom photo of her green eyes is electrifying. Also gotta have that stars sweater.

I was introduced to her by Ever After, love her!

5. Mariah Tuesday 7 June, 2011 at 5:59 pm #

Holy Hell, the Witches?!? One of my complete favorite films growing up!

I adore the image of her with the bob on the train/subway in the plaid coat. Perfection.

6. Edelweissnyc Tuesday 7 June, 2011 at 6:11 pm #

I agree with Mariah, I loved her in Witches but she also scared the crap out of me!

7. andrea Tuesday 7 June, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

the first thing i can remember seeing her in was “ever after” as the evil stepmother. i absolutely hated her for the longest time, but then i realized that it was only because she was such a great actress – and i’ve loved her ever since. i also think she’s absolutely stunning – was and still is!

8. Den Tuesday 7 June, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

she’s the greatest!

9. Vanessa, Take only Memories Tuesday 7 June, 2011 at 6:40 pm #

Amaing photos! Thanks for sharing! She is such an unusual beauty…

10. Anne Tuesday 7 June, 2011 at 6:48 pm #

Such an awesome lady, great post, love the photos (and your blog)!

11. Sarah Tuesday 7 June, 2011 at 8:30 pm #

Holy wow. She has aged so, so well.

12. Meagan DeMenna Tuesday 7 June, 2011 at 8:34 pm #

I could not agree more! She ages so gracefully and she’s such an inspiration! I LOVE her! Thank you for posting :)

13. Ismay Tuesday 7 June, 2011 at 8:47 pm #

I love The Witches, she is perfect and terrifying in it.

14. pamela Tuesday 7 June, 2011 at 9:21 pm #

Jack was soooo dumb.
    She’s amazing.

15. The Pessimiss Tuesday 7 June, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

The best thing about Anjelica is that she is simultaneously completely normal and supernatural.

16. Caitlin Rose Tuesday 7 June, 2011 at 11:24 pm #

uhh, these are amazing, she is amazing.

17. Sammy Tuesday 7 June, 2011 at 11:25 pm #

Anjelica Huston is sooo amazing, she is a true beauty and icon. The Addams Family was the first film i saw of her and thats how i became a fan. She is a very special person and such a wonderful actress :)

18. nicole b. Tuesday 7 June, 2011 at 11:28 pm #

I, too, loved the Witches, ha. Great post. She’s a classic beauty. xo.

19. DABITO Wednesday 8 June, 2011 at 2:39 am #

I can stare at her face for hours…Anjelica is amazing. The first time I saw her was from Addams Family too. I so wanted Morticia to be my mother and of course, I wanted to be Wednesday :)

20. eva Wednesday 8 June, 2011 at 3:54 am #

She’s beautiful! I just watched the Darjeeling Limited last night and I didn’t know she stars in that film! Grey-haired and all but still lovely!

21. HuntGatherFashion Wednesday 8 June, 2011 at 6:49 am #

This is such an incredible collection of photos. I am taken with the idea of gentlewoman femme fatale. I love it!

22. hila Wednesday 8 June, 2011 at 9:41 am #

there are no words to describe how much I love this post. I’ve always thought sexiness had more to do with attitude than physical assets, and damn, she has attitude.

23. nina Wednesday 8 June, 2011 at 11:26 am #

total fox!
    Personal favourite moment is life aquatic. x

24. Molly Cooper Wednesday 8 June, 2011 at 3:25 pm #

What a stunning, stunning woman. These photos and descriptions are just perfect! I love the confidence behind her subtle smile— so sexy, you’re right. The Witches scaaaaared me when I was little but I was absolutely mesmerized by it.

25. ANDREA Thursday 9 June, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

I LOVE Anjelica Huston. That’s a great collection of photographs. I recently posted about her, and only out up four, you put me to shame! Your blog is wonderful, I check it every day!

26. Avant Gardeniste Friday 24 June, 2011 at 7:45 am #

First time I saw Anjelica was in a photo shoot in Vogue or Bazaar, when she was 17, I think. I still have those pages somewhere. She was photographed in Ireland with a gypsy wagon. I didn’t think she was beautiful, but I still remember them, you know? Now you must see this: http://acountryfarmhouse.blogspot.com/2011/05/portrait.html

27. Leah Thursday 11 July, 2013 at 8:52 am #

She’s such an incredible actress. Have you seen her in her latest role, in the series Smash? She plays such a dynamic character.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Style Icon: Anjelica Huston « Quite Continental - Tuesday 17 January, 2012

[...] further Anjelica love, check out Allison and Diana‘s [...]

2. Traumhaus Anjelica Houston | raetherei - Thursday 23 January, 2014

[…] des weltweiten Netzes und so habe ich letzte Woche ein weiteres Traumhaus gefunden. Ich las über Anjelica Houston und habe sie weiter erforscht, ihre Beziehung mit Jack, ihre Ehe mit Robert Graham und ihr […]