The Elements of Happiness

i discovered The Elements of Happiness by designer Laura Javier via Things Organised Neatly (great tumblr, highly recommended) and spent the next while paging through the online copy. it is beautifully designed and, certainly, an incredibly interesting read.

The Harvard Study of Adult Development is the longest prospective study of mental and physical well-being ever conducted. For 72 years, researchers at Harvard have been following 824 individuals through war, career, marriage and divorce, parenthood and grandparenthood, and old age. In this book, I’ve taken 10 representative case studies and visualized their salient character traits, personal timeline, social supports, and physical health to draw conclusions about “the happy life.”

, , , , , ,

11 Responses to The Elements of Happiness

1. Gabija Friday 10 June, 2011 at 5:34 pm #

So amazingly beautiful and interesting!

2. sheila Friday 10 June, 2011 at 6:04 pm #

wow that is really interesting. multiple trips to paris sounds about right.

3. Meagan DeMenna Friday 10 June, 2011 at 8:35 pm #

I love this post! “A life may be made richer and fuller by giving one’s self away.” So great!

4. Sam Friday 10 June, 2011 at 9:11 pm #

I absolutely love this. I’m such a voyeur when it comes to looking at other people’s things and I love academic-style.

5. Joy Friday 10 June, 2011 at 9:15 pm #

This is such a well timed post as I am wondering what I should major in and do for the rest of my life. Still pondering but thank you!

6. Asubiame Saturday 11 June, 2011 at 4:11 pm #

I really truly enjoy your blog!!
    This is a very interesting and hopeful post!!
    Thanks!!

7. Catherine Saturday 11 June, 2011 at 9:40 pm #

I’m so glad I found you. The physics professor one looks perfect.

8. Aja Monday 13 June, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

This is an interesting read, I’ll be sure to flip through the entire thing. At the moment, I think I mostly identify with the judge. I never thought I could identify with any of my math teachers. Ever. I guess that feeling is probably a bit childish. Go figure.

9. casey Wednesday 15 June, 2011 at 11:21 am #

this left me wanting more. premium find, moss.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Good Things « Never entered my mind's Blog - Tuesday 14 June, 2011

[...] The elements of happiness, via miss moss. Who new a Harvard study journal could be so esthetically pleasing? [...]

2. Savoring Summer’s End | a bolt in the blue - Wednesday 12 September, 2012