Artists’ Handmade Houses

Artists’ Handmade Houses is a collection of 13 homes handcrafted by the finest artists and craftsmen in America, including George Nakashima, Henry Varnum Poor, Sam Maloof, Wharton Esherick, and Russel Wright. Built over the course of 75 years, from the late-19th century to the mid-20th century, these homes were each designed and built by the artists as an expression of their aesthetic sentiments, and in many cases, as extensions of their artwork. As such, these private domains are utterly unique and deeply imbued with each artist’s singular vision and talent. Photography by Don Freeman.

photos courtesy of pdn photo of the day, dwell and amazon

, , , , ,

14 Responses to Artists’ Handmade Houses

1. this is cyclogenesis Monday 20 June, 2011 at 9:32 am #

Oh my goodness, that last one is pretty much everything I’ve ever wanted in a home! Gorgeous!

2. fabio Monday 20 June, 2011 at 9:47 am #

What a wonderful and inspiring collection of photographs, Diana: What a good find. I will be on the hunt for this book!

3. Plutôt la vie de Melanie Monday 20 June, 2011 at 10:18 am #

Wow! All of these pictures are amazing! How inspired are these homes?!! :) xx

4. sally Monday 20 June, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

wowwie wow wow wowza. each picture was more beautiful than the last. I’ll have to look at this post slowly later so my head doesn’t explode from the beauty.

5. Caitlin Rose Monday 20 June, 2011 at 3:50 pm #

WHAT! where is that one that looks like a Mosque? That’s almost just too awesome.

6. Sarah Monday 20 June, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

wow! i could live in any one of those houses… absolutely breathtaking!

7. Eva / Sycamore Street Press Tuesday 21 June, 2011 at 2:05 am #

These are so beautiful. I love the wood, the natural rock, the little details…

8. Karen Tuesday 21 June, 2011 at 5:53 pm #

wow – must pick up this book! I’ve been in the Nakashima and Esherick homes, and Sam Maloof’s is next on our list. Thanks for posting, your blog is wonderful … so inspiring!

9. Sarah B Wednesday 22 June, 2011 at 11:07 am #

HA! Totally nutty – I’ve stayed in the house in picture 6 & 8! It’s at Cosanti in Scottsdale Arizona. My friends live there now. It sure looks better in these photos than it does now (they are a tad messy…)
    Must pick up the book! Thanks :D

10. Jean Wednesday 22 June, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

Fabulous! now I’m really green with envy. We are artists and are presently building our home and it’s hard to know when to stop embellishing and get back in the studio. What gorgeous work. The last house looks like Henry Mercer’s of Mercer Museum fame and the Moravian Tile Works in Bucks County, PA. I’ve been there and it’s wonderful.

11. Jean Wednesday 22 June, 2011 at 7:55 pm #

thanks for sharing

12. Jean Wednesday 22 June, 2011 at 7:58 pm #

I like the timelessness inferred by the use of stone and tile and big wood.

13. polly Saturday 2 July, 2011 at 8:27 pm #

i can not imagine what it must be like to have so much beauty inside of you. Couldn’t it be a terrible burden at times?

on a more trivial note, i would dearly love to have boulders in my living room, i would not have to worry about keeping them alive.

14. Suzanne Sunday 15 January, 2012 at 10:37 pm #

I LOVE this post! Thank you so much for compiling it. I really enjoy it when you post quirky interiors. Thank you for all the eye candy and inspiration in general.