Wil Freeborn

i will always remember my illustration lecturer at university telling us repeatedly that the best illustrators and comic book artists always had their sketchbook with them, and were always drawing. any spare moment was spent observing, sketching and perfecting their craft. that is of course completely true and a philosophy that certainly applies to any skill.

so i was immediately taken back to that classroom when i saw the pages of Wil Freeborn’s incredible sketchbooks. had mixed feelings of admiration and jealousy when browsing through these – what a talent.

, , , , , ,

14 Responses to Wil Freeborn

1. the wild bunches Friday 1 July, 2011 at 11:46 am #

Thank you for sharing this – you always share the loveliest things.

2. Aydekay Friday 1 July, 2011 at 11:58 am #

We were supposed to do a sketchbook entry every day, and then hand them in at the end of the semester. As you can imagine many a frantic last weekend was spent trying to do 3 months worth of convincing illustrations. I actually wish I had gotten into the habit. Maybe I’ll start this weekend… (hah!)

• Miss Moss Friday 1 July, 2011 at 12:00 pm #

we had to do the same thing, and the EXACT same situation always played out!

“omg i haven’t drawn in my sketchbook all year”

3. Camille Friday 1 July, 2011 at 12:07 pm #

The sketches are beautiful and inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

4. sally Friday 1 July, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

You might love this site, Miss M (if you haven’t already seen it :)

5. Sophie Delphis Friday 1 July, 2011 at 5:16 pm #

Thank you for these – they’re beautiful.

6. C Friday 1 July, 2011 at 9:53 pm #

I wish I could keep sketchbooks half as beautiful! His use of watercolour is amazing…

7. Jess Lucas Friday 1 July, 2011 at 10:07 pm #

These are soooooooooo beautiful. . . .makes me wish I could draw. . . .sketch.. . . .anything !! sigh :)

Jess x

8. theboakster Saturday 2 July, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

I’ve just picked up my pencils and paints again after giving up art at high school quite a few year back now (a lady never gives her age, right?!)… these are awe-inspiring and jealousy making in equal measure, as you say. Quite makes me want to put my pens down again!!

9. Teagan Saturday 2 July, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

What an inspiration! Beautiful art, beautiful dedication to a passion.

10. Sakura Saturday 2 July, 2011 at 9:48 pm #

wow, he was actually drawing my city Glasgow..!
    The second one is at Kelvinglove art gallery and the third one is cafe Stereo.
    thanks for sharing lovely things. .

11. Minette Monday 4 July, 2011 at 9:37 am #

this is truly incredible! I also remember a girl in our design school… very quiet, but I glimpsed her sketchbook and was amazed! what a talent!

12. Amber Wednesday 6 July, 2011 at 7:56 pm #

These are so lovely. I don’t know quite why, but for some reason they make me want to bike someplace quiet.

13. Carla Sunday 10 July, 2011 at 11:09 pm #

These are great and I instantly recognised them as Edinburgh (my hometown) and Glasgow (I think?). A good find!