Familia

hila has been sharing some great old family photos lately, so i couldn’t resist dipping into my own collection. some background info: i have three older brothers. i’ll refer to them as brothers no. 1, 2 & 3 – because it’s easier that way.

mom as a tyke:

dad as a teen:

mom & dad on their wedding day:

dad & brother no.1:

dad, brothers no. 1 & 2 and gussie the bouvier:

brother no.2 & gussie

brother no.1 feeding brother no.3:

mom & brother no.3:

brother no.3 feeding gussie his first birthday cake

parents looking suave:

dad & brother no. 3 on holiday:

me as a baby with creepy doll:

train cake & ship in a bottle – basically the best birthday ever for brother no.3:

protesting against white tights:

brother no.3 and i  - note the budgie on his head:

at school, eating cake and drinking fanta.

, , , ,

31 Responses to Familia

1. Maryam Thursday 14 July, 2011 at 9:57 am #

Cute pics! Thanks for sharing! Love the referencing to your brothers, looks like you guys had fun growing up together!

xoxo, Maryam

2. Em Thursday 14 July, 2011 at 9:59 am #

My brother is the only boy in my family and calls us Sister 1, 2 and 3. My dad after years of just yelling all three girl’s names until the right one responded has taken on this numbering system- it saves time when saying “1, 2, 3, whoever you are…”

• Miss Moss Thursday 14 July, 2011 at 10:11 am #

it’s far easier than saying oldest brother, second oldest brother, youngest brother…

i might start calling them 1, 2 & 3 in real life.

3. Bonnie Flame Thursday 14 July, 2011 at 10:08 am #

PHWOAR!! Your Dad can tinker under my hood any day!

Haha I’m sorry, that was incredibly crude. Your parents look lovely together…

Also loving you VS. the white tights. Oh, that feeling! So very “back in the days of the old school yard”, namely being the minute we shot out of the class room.

You have some great shots in the family archive, thanks for sharing.
    XX

• Miss Moss Thursday 14 July, 2011 at 10:10 am #

haha… that first sentence made me laugh and cringe at the same time.

4. Fred Thursday 14 July, 2011 at 10:20 am #

Getting older and all we have to prove for it are yellow photos and stretch marks. Lovely – thanks for sharing.

5. Farran Thursday 14 July, 2011 at 10:32 am #

sweet!!! I love old family photos and seeing our trendy parents back in the day!

6. fabio Thursday 14 July, 2011 at 10:40 am #

Lovely entry Diana: Que viva la FAMILIA!
    (and that doll did look very creepy! The expression on your face says it all . . .)

7. mallix Thursday 14 July, 2011 at 10:50 am #

we also stayed in those holiday houses in Wilderness – and my sister had the same doll (she’s one of those “reversible” dolls? Nice pics :)

8. Gabija Thursday 14 July, 2011 at 12:58 pm #

You’re so pretty in last photo:>

9. sally Thursday 14 July, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

Haha, another fan of the numbering system here. My dad always calls me “daughter number one.” There are three of us girls and then our brother came last.

Love all your family’s outfits! The nineties duds our mom dressed us in did not translate as well fashion-wise, sadly.

10. Ting Thursday 14 July, 2011 at 3:21 pm #

Oh man, your dad was such a looker ;) I loved these photos and your posts in general.

11. Sweet Freak Thursday 14 July, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

Wow. Those are what I’d call “priceless”!

12. Linn Maria Thursday 14 July, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

Oh, I love these pictures, reminds me that I need to start scanning old family photos myself! I thought the last picture of you was especially cool, with all the colours and everyone looking away, except you, full focus on the camera – perfect :)

13. Sarah Thursday 14 July, 2011 at 9:23 pm #

beautiful pictures! the first one is so painfully adorable. this inspired me to go through some of mine when i visit my mom this weekend.

14. Curious Constellation Thursday 14 July, 2011 at 10:13 pm #

I laughed when I saw ‘you always win at game’. I think growing up in South Africa is such a privilege, definitely gives you a unique outlook on life.

15. Aja Friday 15 July, 2011 at 7:43 am #

Your family looks wonderful! What a treat.

16. Ann Marie Friday 15 July, 2011 at 8:23 pm #

Great post. The creepy doll comment totally cracked me up. Nothing better than old family pictures.

17. megan mcisaac Friday 15 July, 2011 at 10:17 pm #

beautiful you and beautiful family. old family photos are my biggest inspiration when it comes to my own photography, so its nice to see your own.

18. The Lil Bee Saturday 16 July, 2011 at 6:25 am #

Oh, I love these! Especially the last photo and the photo of you and the creepy doll. So cute!

19. hila Saturday 16 July, 2011 at 10:49 am #

these are gold, baby! love them, so glad I inspired you to dip into family albums.

and I realise that what I’m about to say may make things awkward between us from now on, but I’m willing to live with the consequences: your dad, as a teen, totally hot. ahem.

xo

20. Sharon Saturday 16 July, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

Oh my goodness. Those photos were the best. I love the one of your parents “looking suave.” They do indeed. Haha.
    Thanks for sharing.

21. Chuck Saturday 16 July, 2011 at 11:10 pm #

Aww, these are so lovely. Thank you!

22. Lee Monday 18 July, 2011 at 12:36 am #

Gussie is a fantastic name +looks like a fantastic dog. But most importantly, where is that house ‘on holiday’? It is so beautiful, if you have any more pics of the house/the setting I’d love to see a post on that!

23. ruscha Monday 18 July, 2011 at 8:28 am #

Just want to let you know that i love your blog. ive gone back so far in your posts and im addicted.

24. Edelweissnyc Monday 18 July, 2011 at 12:25 pm #

I love love these pictures. Old pictures are seriously the best. I have so much fun going back and looking through my parents photos albums.

25. florence Monday 18 July, 2011 at 4:21 pm #

these are great! old photos are the BEST… so much nostalgia, even though i had such a different childhood growing up in chicago, somehow the 70s clothes, furniture, and colors seem universal. love the one with your brohter no 1 feeding no 3, so sweet, and you vs the tights, hysterical!

26. Mallory Monday 18 July, 2011 at 7:22 pm #

these are so awesome. that’s all that needs to be said.

well, one more thing needs to be said – gussie looks like the most cuddly / marvelous dog ever.

27. monica Friday 22 July, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

these are fantastic! What type of dog is Gussie?

28. Mandy Sunday 24 July, 2011 at 6:39 pm #

I love the juxtaposition of the little boys and the big dog. Also, that last picture of you is adorable.

29. Anna Wednesday 27 July, 2011 at 7:59 am #

You look truly creeped out by that doll! So funny. These are great.