The Comparisons Project: Cracks

Hila picked Cracks for our next comparisons project – a film I have been meaning to watch for ages but just never got round to. i actually find myself watching less and less films these days, as any available tv time is dedicated to my series addiction (cough game of thrones cough). so this was a great “excuse” to indulge in some eva green action – one of my favourite actresses who has a knack for playing seriously unhinged characters.

i’ve been seeing screenshots of Cracks floating around on various blogs and other places on the web since it was released, which painted the film as being quite dreamy and beautiful. i felt the complete opposite while watching it, however, something you will probably understand if you have seen the film yourself. i can’t say i enjoyed it. not that it matters – that’s not the point of this exercise.

i paired scenes from the film with paintings by post-impressionist Moise Kisling – there’s an underlying sense of unease in his work, especially his portraits… something that i felt throughout the film. Hila’s poem follows.

edit: felt i needed to add a post-script after Kate’s comment below, i only found out that the film was based on a book after i had watched it. not only that, but it is written by south african born author sheila kohler and set in a south african boarding school (nogal)

words by Hila Schachar

paintings from top to bottom: untitled ; les enfants du docteur tas, louis et zoucha ; portrait de femme ; ofelia ; nu couchi dans les feuillages ; les mains ; tulips ; untitled ; l’attente ; eve ; la naufragée

, , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to The Comparisons Project: Cracks

1. Martha Monday 18 July, 2011 at 3:05 pm #

We are going through Game of Thrones right now too – I’m obsessed. I only let us watch one episode a night but that still means less than two weeks of Game of Thrones :(

2. The Pessimiss Monday 18 July, 2011 at 3:31 pm #

The original novel by the same name (written by Sheila Kohler) is one of my favourite books! I can’t believe that it was made into a film and I never knew until right now.

The eerie dreaminess is somewhat reminiscent of Picnic on Hanging Rock – can’t wait to watch the film!

• Miss Moss Monday 18 July, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

conversely i didn’t know it was based on a book until after i watched it (by a South African author, set in a South African boarding school for that matter)

3. andrea Monday 18 July, 2011 at 4:45 pm #

yay! i’ve been wondering when the two of you would pair up again! and i’m loving your selection. though i understand what you say about the movie stills being very dreamy and very pretty, yet the movie wasn’t particularly that way. i knew that the film was based on a movie, but i watched it first before reading it. i still enjoyed the movie, but i LOVED the book. so much better and, while i love the location in the film, i loved the dry, hot descriptions of south africa in the book so much better! you should definitely read it if you get a chance :)

4. Lady Moriarty Monday 18 July, 2011 at 8:21 pm #

This movie was so great. I loved every Eva Green’s outfit !

See U !

5. ania Monday 18 July, 2011 at 11:31 pm #

adore her.
    the best and the most magnetic actress ever.
    for me.

6. m.fay Tuesday 19 July, 2011 at 12:39 am #

one of my favorites. nice work miss!

xo

7. daria Wednesday 20 July, 2011 at 9:02 am #

this movie is great, I’m so glad I’ve seen it :)
    excellent work as always!

8. Ginta Wednesday 20 July, 2011 at 8:13 pm #

Game of Thrones – totally understandable! ;) I couldn’t wait for the next season and started to read books! :))

I loved that movie! Eva Green was so perfect in in! And all the outfits!

9. becca spears Saturday 23 July, 2011 at 4:50 pm #

you have made me so very happy with this beautiful work. just discovered your blog, and it is one of my new greatest sources of inspiration! Thank you!

becca

10. shanna Thursday 4 August, 2011 at 12:02 am #

beautiful didi … ! loved this

11. Maria Monday 30 April, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

Thank you for sharing your beautiful vision with us, Diana! I’ve didn’t resist to make a post about these super inspiring duets on my blog. Check it out here: http://thisisevamaria.wordpress.com/
    I hope you like it!* :)