YES! a new things i like right now by one of my favourite new-to-me bloggers Jen McCabe of Honey Kennedy (named for her grandmother). well not so new anymore i guess – i have been reading Jen’s blog for a while now and am consistently amazed by her discoveries with every post, especially in the fashion department. her things i like right now list is no less impressive, it has left me with several tabs open on my browser waiting to be explored. be sure to follow her on twitter as she is a fun gal to gab with (let’s bump top knots some time eh, Jen?)
1. Harold Pierce Cazneaux’s photography. His work is so incredibly striking. Hauntingly beautiful use of light—I especially love his portraits.
2. The Vaccines. I don’t tend to be very current in what I choose to listen to. I kind of lean on my shoegazery and 1960’s garage/psych/baroque pop laurels and it takes a nudge from a friend to get me to venture outside of that noise. My friend, Sasha, has a lot of the same music loves and she urged me to give these fellows a listen. I am now totally addicted to (and crushed out on) their record, What Did You Expect From The Vaccines. I also love Sasha’s new band with her husband, The Horoscopes!
3. Isson sunglasses. I’m super picky about sunglasses. I don’t mean that they have to be fancy—I have $5 sunglasses that I wear a lot—but I just don’t like most shapes on my big heart shaped head. I love both the pink and black ‘Bonnie’ style sunglasses from Isson. Isson’s Oscar and Louis styles are also very cool. Others I love are these Cutler + Gross shades for Cacharel.
4. Itty Bitty Kitty Committee. KITTENS KITTENS KITTENS. Laurie is a kitten whisperer and excellent photographer. I really love visiting her site for a happy pick me up. She really does amazing work for the Humane Society.
5. Fahrenheit 451 by François Truffaut. I guess it isn’t just this film that I’m really into right now, but all of the actor, Oskar Werner’s, films. I’ve had a mad crush on him since I was a teenager and I think his work is fantastic. I wish I could have seen him on the stage! My favorites are Fahrenheit 451 and Jules et Jim—of course, I love Jeanne Moreau and Julie Christie. I could go on for hours about movies.
6. My grandparents. John McCabe and Ellen Jacquelyn “Honey” Kennedy McCabe. I really miss them—they’ve both passed away. There is just so much I wish I could share with them and talk with them about. I miss hearing all their stories, laughing with them and hugging them. They were my pals.
7. Vintage Stanhope jewelry. I love the little peepshow aspect of the ‘optical bijou’ Stanhope novelty pieces. These binoculars from Erica Weiner’s shop is an especially cool example. I also love the nudey lady ring!
8. Lavenham. The new collection of women’s clothing from English horse blanket company, Lavenham, is making me rethink my feelings on quilted apparel. The styling for the lookbook is fantastic. I’m impressed that they were able to make these pieces so elegant—quilting can look so boxy or lumpy.
9. The Firework Studies book by Pierre Le Hors. Just so beautiful. I am so fascinated by stars and the night sky and this book seems to hit all those romantic notes for me… with fire. I love so much of Pierre Le Hors’ work.
10. Making music mixes. I really love making music mixes on 8tracks. I have an obscene amount of music and thoroughly enjoy the whole process of putting together a mixtape. You can find my mixes here.
11. Collages by Gloria Vilches. I think her work is so eye-catching and clever. A lot of people do collage, but rarely do people do it this well. My good friend, Steve Quenell, also makes collages that blow my mind. Psychedelic National Geographic! Ha.
12. Skulls. I don’t know why, but for the past year or so I’ve really admired some beautiful skull designs. Here are three of my favorites: the skull earrings by Like Atmosphere from Phucisme, Trevor Jackson’s porcelain skull with bunnies and the skull chandelier by Kelly Lamb. All out of my budget, but inspiring all the same.
13. Fille en Aiguilles (“Girls in the Pines”) perfume by Serge Lutens. Pine, vetiver, sugary sap, frankincense, candied fruit, spices, laurel and fir balsam. This perfume is heady and… well, lusty. I guess it is supposed to smell of girls laying on a forest floor—and this is exactly how I’d like to smell. I got it at my friend’s new Portland shop, Eden, but you can find it online as well.
14. ABRACADABRA pendant necklace from Aesa. Just the perfect magical necklace. It has a tiny pink sapphire embedded in it and comes on a nice long chain. Bewitching!