Photography, Vintage

Woolwich Dockyard Portraits

got totally sucked in by this amazing set of photos taken by George Plemper in London in the late 70’s & early 80’s

For a period of 5 years between 1978 to 1982 photography was a way to prove to myself that I was still alive. Unable to unable to make sense of the “real world” and “real people” who told me that I was too sensitive, too quiet, too thoughtful, too strange, I found that my world changed when I picked up the camera. Through the viewfinder a new and better world opened up and, best of all, it acted as a shield. I did not have to get too close when I held the camera. In 1979-82 I used to visit the Clockhouse Community Centre in Woolwich Dockyard, London SE18 and these are a few of the sights I saw.

all photographs by George Plemper

Previous Post Next Post

• Reply The Indulgent Tuesday 2 August, 2011 at 10:17 am

thank you so mch for sharing these… i love coming to your blog for fresh inspiration.. xx

• Reply Mallory Tuesday 2 August, 2011 at 10:25 am

Thoughts….

Upon seeing the first image – “I need to cut my hair short IMMEDIATELY”

Upon seeing the little girl doing a split – “Man. I can’t believe I was ever capable of doing that.”

…. but 8 year old me totally was. What a flexible thing I was in the past.

• Reply Caitlin Rose Tuesday 2 August, 2011 at 2:46 pm

these are incredibly powerful images. wow. I feel like that has set the tone for my entire day.

• Reply andrea Tuesday 2 August, 2011 at 6:45 pm

these are wonderful! they and the description immediately brought to mind a similar set of photographs i’d happened across on flickr a while ago:

and of course it does… because it’s the same photographer :)

• Reply laura Tuesday 2 August, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Thanks for sharing these, i love that top photo – just did a drawing of her in my sketchbook, what great style!

• Reply Amber Wednesday 3 August, 2011 at 1:27 am

I love your blog because I always learn about something/someone new!

• Reply Joy Wednesday 3 August, 2011 at 2:06 am

I love these, they’re so very hip.

• Reply Frances Wednesday 3 August, 2011 at 9:22 pm

These are brilliant, thank you very much for sharing them. I saw the image of the first girl before I read about the history of the photographs, and just couldn’t place the date of it – I would never have got it right, fascinating!

• Reply Sarah Thursday 4 August, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I love these so much. Thanks for posting!

• Reply mosey Thursday 4 August, 2011 at 9:29 pm

these are fantastic – so much character in each little face!

• Reply Jess Lucas Wednesday 10 August, 2011 at 6:18 pm

These are really lovely. . . . I also love coming here to see what gems you have found :)

Jess x

• Reply kenneth Friday 26 August, 2011 at 11:50 am

It’s the first time I see this site.
    I really like it.

congratulations,

Cheers !
    k

• Reply Ezequiel Freire Friday 24 February, 2012 at 2:34 am

George Plemper congratulations for his photographic work, “TOTAL QUALITY” Regards Ezequiel Freire