Bathing caps with faces

why not!

speaking of bathing, it’s pretty scary that summer is around the corner. i have noticed the northern bloggers freaking out over their impending autumn and winter months – i would happily trade places with you! we have hardly had any rain, and it hasn’t been cold enough for my liking. it’s mid august and i am already wearing short sleeves and sandals. sigh.

all images from the life magazine archives photographed by ralph crane

, , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to Bathing caps with faces

1. Her name was Lola Wednesday 17 August, 2011 at 5:11 pm #

Meow! L-O-V-E that kitty cat cap. xo Lola

2. katherine Wednesday 17 August, 2011 at 6:00 pm #

I’d love a swimsuit with such a graceful “V” in the back (3rd image down)!

3. Nina Oliva Wednesday 17 August, 2011 at 7:18 pm #

it’s definitely the first time I see a cool bathing cap… you never know what’s the front and what’s the back ;-)
    and I love the bathing suits!

4. Studio MME Wednesday 17 August, 2011 at 9:41 pm #

Oh, I agree, that cat hat is so cute! I loved the second picture. Good find!

5. sami Wednesday 17 August, 2011 at 10:20 pm #

so innocent and fun! love it :)

xo
    sami

6. vanessa Thursday 18 August, 2011 at 12:34 am #

woah, is it really just about to be summer where you live!? After reading your post I just hadd to do a little research and google the South African seasons! summer from mid-October to mid-February? winter from May to July!? No way! That is so insanely different from California… ..or any other seasons I’ve ever known!
    Fascinating!

7. Monique Thursday 18 August, 2011 at 8:45 am #

these caps are fun and a little freaky. i live in brooklyn, ny it’s still warm here….taking each day as it comes.

8. Sweet Harvest Moon Thursday 18 August, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

How funny are these pcitures? Love it!

I can’t wait for autumn, it’s my favoirte time of the year…

9. homestilo Thursday 18 August, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

Too funny (why don’t these come back?). As much as I love Fall, I’m willing to trade with you right now to enjoy Summer for just a bit longer…

10. Edelweissnyc Thursday 18 August, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

These are great photos! Yes it is true, I am dreading the winter months but I am deftly ready for the fall. Fall is probably my favorite time of the year. The temp is just right!

11. dani Thursday 18 August, 2011 at 3:37 pm #

lovely! i want the one with the cat on it.
    I’m always amazed, though, at how these girls used to find it oh so practical to go swimming in full make-up! ;)

12. Margaret Friday 19 August, 2011 at 2:42 am #

LOVE the button details on the swimsuits. Faces, on the back of hats, was the style. I had a knit hat in the early 60s, that I wore to a pet shop. In those days, monkeys could be sold in pet shops, and one grabbed my ‘face’ hat as my back was to the cage. The shop owner ensured me that the monkey wanted my hat, not me, but I was a kid, and really screamed. Today, I’d grab the monkey and run…and sell the hat on EBay. (I still remember how it felt as he grabbed my hair along with the hat. I hope he found a good home, sigh..the monkey…the hat…I’m sure went to Goodwill.)

13. Erin Fickert-Rowland Friday 19 August, 2011 at 6:42 am #

I have a special affinity for Vintage “LIFE” images, and these are just wonderful! You have an amazing eye for joyful material!

14. daily/weakly Saturday 20 August, 2011 at 11:56 am #

these are amazing! a friend of mine actually just joined a synchronized swimming club in brooklyn, i can’t wait to show her these!

xxdaily/weakly

15. Swan Saturday 20 August, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

Oh no. Oh yes. This is insanely wonderful.

16. page Friday 26 August, 2011 at 1:43 am #

love this post
    page

17. jehenisus Monday 12 September, 2011 at 9:51 am #

I wonder if bathing caps were mandatory in the old times. It is in in-door pools in Korea