Passanti

this is a new set of then & now photos from one of my favourite vintage photo collectors Giuseppe Savini. he says,

This is a series of photos I took in Bologna. I thought it was a good idea … then they told me that similar work had already been done … and then I gave up everything. - translated from Italian

it’s true – i have seen these done before, but not with the focus on the people in the photos. i think it’s far more interesting than just seeing the place itself – especially when you view past people in context with present day people.

let’s not forget all the effort Giuseppe must have gone to to track down these spots. so awesome!

all photographs by Giuseppe Savini

, , , , , ,

31 Responses to Passanti

1. Courtney Tuesday 4 October, 2011 at 10:36 pm #

These are incredible, what a great idea.

• poppy Tuesday 4 October, 2011 at 11:02 pm #

they are extraordinary ! beautiful i loved it !

2. kristin Tuesday 4 October, 2011 at 11:23 pm #

What a great group of pictures. Thanks for sharing!

3. Sage Parker Tuesday 4 October, 2011 at 11:34 pm #

i am in love with this photo idea, so beautiful and smart!

4. Chuck Tuesday 4 October, 2011 at 11:46 pm #

Oh, Bologna is such a beautiful city! This is such a clever, interesting idea too.

5. Fashion Autopsy Wednesday 5 October, 2011 at 3:43 am #

Truly wonderful shots. It helps to have Bologna as a back-drop! Gorgeous city it is…

6. Amanda Wednesday 5 October, 2011 at 6:32 am #

I’ve seen a lot of those snapshot-in-photographs lately and this set is really beautiful. I think the fact that the focus is more on people makes it so much more haunting instead of just the architecture. Especially the fourth one from the bottom… considering what was going on at that time politically, what he was thinking, etc. and then how the modern guy is standing there like none of it ever happened. Lovely!!

7. Jen Wednesday 5 October, 2011 at 7:19 am #

Oh, so romantic. What an amazing idea and so wonderfully executed! Thanks for posting, Diana!

8. Mirka Wednesday 5 October, 2011 at 8:53 am #

I love this idea! It’s amazing that most of the places look almost the same..

9. Lisa Wednesday 5 October, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

Incredible! What an inspired idea – thanks Diana ♥

10. Rosaspina Vintage Wednesday 5 October, 2011 at 5:40 pm #

To me this is the proof that genius always comes from a simple idea. These shots are brilliant! And it’s so heartwarming to see my beloved country in the past. Thank you so much for sharing it Diana!
    Ale
    x

11. plique Wednesday 5 October, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

This is such a nice work. And it’s especially a pleasure to enjoy the images on your blog as they are tagged so largely on his flickr-account, that the whole atmosphere is simply destroyed. Thanks for giving us all the chance to enjoy this.

12. Penelope Wednesday 5 October, 2011 at 10:11 pm #

Wundervoll! Danke an Dich & Guiseppe Savini!

13. Catarina Thursday 6 October, 2011 at 2:10 am #

These pictures have just put a smile on my face! Beautiful!
    I lived and studied in Bologna for some months 2 years ago, I miss it :)

14. J Koes Thursday 6 October, 2011 at 11:54 am #

thanks for sharing. i followed the link to the original flickr set, and it’s impossible to look at because of the ugly watermark half the size of each picture. thank goodness the pictures in your blog entry don’t have it.

• Miss Moss Thursday 6 October, 2011 at 12:00 pm #

oh wow, i didn’t even realise. he must have altered them after i posted about them. that makes me quite sad actually. just wanted to share the goodness.

15. Izzi89 Thursday 6 October, 2011 at 5:26 pm #

I love this!! Very creative!

16. Nastassja Petersen Friday 7 October, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

What an awesome post! thank you for sharing,

17. Virginia Friday 7 October, 2011 at 6:08 pm #

These are absolutely beautiful. The antique images imposed onto the modern images, evoke a feeling that the figures of the past are still lingering, yet unseen. I adore the river, canoe image. So lovely!

18. agnes szucs @ iiiinspired Friday 7 October, 2011 at 7:11 pm #

Awesome! I’ve seen somebody made this in Budapest, too…
    It’s actually quite a great idea!

xo
    agnes

19. The New Diplomats Wife Friday 7 October, 2011 at 7:46 pm #

I studied here ten years ago, just as i remember it – great photos!

20. Holly Ann Saturday 8 October, 2011 at 12:25 am #

These are stunning!

21. anu Saturday 8 October, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

damn, this is awesome. i should do this for my hometown, mumbai!!!

22. The wild bunches Sunday 9 October, 2011 at 10:03 am #

What an amazing idea! Love every single shot. x

23. gracia Friday 14 October, 2011 at 1:10 pm #

I love these… but I especially love the quote by Giuseppe.

24. Sweet Harvest Moon Saturday 15 October, 2011 at 11:54 am #

Love this, what a great idea!

25. Bella Monday 17 October, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

this makes me insanely happy

26. mira Wednesday 16 November, 2011 at 3:51 pm #

…. i felt that i have traveled through time…

27. louislo Thursday 8 December, 2011 at 6:08 am #

It’s open my eyes, good stuff

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Photographer We Love: Giuseppe Savini | The Spotted Fox - Friday 14 October, 2011

[...] you can imagine the people just walking right out of the picture and into modern life. BeautifulSpotted on Miss Moss. Spread the word! stLight.options({ publisher:'12345' }); Leave a Reply Name (required) Mail [...]

2. Cake Wrecks and Other Stuff | - Wednesday 19 October, 2011

[...] I saw these photos featured on a blog awhile ago, and I have not been able to get them out of my head.  You can see the whole batch of them here or here. [...]