in august i sent out an email to some of my girl blogger pals asking them to contribute one of their favourite songs to a collaborative music mix. we are all busy ladies, which explains why this mix is only surfacing now, but i’m glad it finally is because it’s a wonderfully eclectic collection – exactly what i was hoping for. i can see this as a movie soundtrack… it’s only a matter of time before a movie comes out about awesome girl bloggers anyway, right?
Girls. Playlist – in alphabetical order by contributor :
1. The Black Keys – Too Afraid to Love You (Alison of TeenAngster)
“Blues rock” usually brings to mind images of Blueshammer (gag!), but the Black Keys manage to make contemporary bluesy tunes that sound straight out of the ’60s.
2. Talk Talk – I Believe in You (Anabela of Fieldguided)
It sounds like late summer to me, which is what we have here now (Anabela sent her choice in August)
3. French Films – Golden Sea (Angie of Lucky Pony)
I pretty much listen to it on repeat because it literally makes me feel like lifting my arms up (especially between 0:34 – 0:57 seconds) and dancing frantically back and fourth like nervous Chiwawa. Minus peeing on the floor.
4. Bombay Bicycle Club – Light Out, Words Gone (Diana aka me)
their new album,and this song in particular, has been on repeat for the past month.
5. Pa Pa Power – Dead Man’s Bones (Cath of Wolf Eyebrows)
A happy, slightly eerie song which is always nice to listen to. I like to combine it with the songs of Grizzly Bear and Siskiyou.
6. Crowded House – Private Universe (Hila of Le Projet d’Amour)
I love this song because it’s so gently suggestive, you feel as if there’s a whole other layer to it hidden beneath its rhythm and lyrics. I tend to listen to it when I have a lot on my mind.
7. Just Like Honey by The Jesus & Mary Chain (Jen of Honey Kennedy)
Because the day I heard this song when I was a teenager–everything else in the world froze in place and this song changed everything for me. It was like it was meant to pool up inside my ears. It still swirls around in there.
8. Fleetwood Mac – Big Love (Jessica of The Shiny Squirrel)
I love how raw Lyndsey Buckingham’s voice sounds in this and the guitar is unreal… it makes me want to go into a wild frenzy.
9. Heart – Crazy on You (Kate C. of The Pessimiss)
I’m a sucker for girls playing guitars, and Heart’s pent-up ode to love and lust starts with the most epic strum-driven bang. It’s also the soundtrack to the scene in The Virgin Suicides where Lux pounces on Trip Fontaine in the front seat of his Camaro and leaves him breathless, her cherry-flavoured gum lingering in his mouth. It’s the ultimate girl power song.
10. Lovin’ Spoonful – Summer in the City (Kate D. of Kate Desmarais)
11. Little Dragon – Night Light (Kate M. of For Me, For You)
This song is a key ingredient in my living room dance parties.
12. Raphael Saadiq – Movin’ Down The Line (Lauren of Dear Golden)
13. Deer Tick – Miss K (Mallory of Where The Lovely Things Are)
I love Deer Tick and this is one of their newest songs. I think it makes for good “driving on a sunny fall day” music.
14. Cat Power – Song for Bobby (Mili of Miss Millib)
I really like sombre music, it relaxes me and allows me to access places that I usually don’t have time to entertain in my busy life. I listen to the songs alone and I really really love how they make me feel comfortable in my solitude.
15. Youth Lagoon – Daydream (Victoria Hannan)
all music is for sampling purposes only – please go out and buy the artists’ records & support them at their shows!
cover image courtesy of the life photo archives