The Hustad Residence

The Hustad Residence in Wayzata, Minnesota. Designed by Donald E. Hustad and photographed by Gordon Parks for LIFE magazine in 1958.

, , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to The Hustad Residence

1. Edelweissnyc Tuesday 1 November, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

I grew up in Minnesota and never knew about this place. Great pix!

2. Katdraws Tuesday 1 November, 2011 at 3:12 pm #

I wonder what it looks like now.

3. Laura Tuesday 1 November, 2011 at 3:27 pm #

i live in minnesota and have never heard about this place either-I wonder if it’s still there!

4. Hannah @ Sparrow + Spark! Tuesday 1 November, 2011 at 3:36 pm #

Love these images- really evocative of the time!

5. TheChambrayCountess Tuesday 1 November, 2011 at 4:15 pm #

How interesting! I also wonder if it is still in existence and if so, if it is a private residence?

6. sami Tuesday 1 November, 2011 at 5:26 pm #

the only thing i can think of when i look at these photos is “where are the people of color?” it’s like they didn’t exist in the fifties. in photos at least.

xo
    sami

7. Ali Tuesday 1 November, 2011 at 10:28 pm #

Great pictures. Love the barrel vaults!

8. Lisa Lynn Wednesday 2 November, 2011 at 12:27 am #

I also grew up in Minnesota, and still live here, I’ve never even heard of this place! It looks so cool!

9. Den Wednesday 2 November, 2011 at 9:03 am #

@Sami: it was the fifties after all…

10. Petit-MaƮtre Wednesday 2 November, 2011 at 11:23 am #

A very stylish and innovatively designed house, but also a fascinating journey back in time.

11. f Friday 4 November, 2011 at 11:03 pm #

Reminds me of a cool dollhouse that you could open up..

12. Sweet Harvest Moon Tuesday 8 November, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

Love the house and the dresses the women are wearing :p

13. Anna Monday 14 November, 2011 at 4:16 am #

i love the litktle gag with the kids swivelled round to face the telivisions instead of facing mum, the kitchen and the food.

14. Ali S. Thursday 17 November, 2011 at 10:17 pm #

My soon to be Grandfather-In law is Don Hustad. He still lives in this home of which he designed in the 1940s. The house is still breathtaking and I feel very blessed that these pictures are not only featured in Life Magazine but they are of amazing family I am about to become a part of.

15. Tracy Hustad Hall Friday 18 November, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

I am the little girl in the photos. My father, Don Hustad, designed the home in the mid 1950′s and yes the home still stands and the creator still lives there- the photos are of our family and neighborhood friends. Fun to see again.

16. megs Wednesday 6 June, 2012 at 3:33 am #

what a lovely bit of history lesson, this home was featured in one of my architecture courses at college and I framed some of these images from Life magazine then; how wonderful to be united again and to know the home still occupied; such a gift.