Cabinet Curiosites

ok first of all – if i had a chance to go to Paris right now i would be willing to stay in a tiny room with no windows in the basement of a youth hostel. i don’t expect luxury when i travel, and i’m not in the habit of booking into boutique hotels or expecting perks like room service or egyptian cotton sheets (is that still considered luxurious? what’s desirable when it comes to sheets these days?)

BUT! i couldn’t help but getting lost in the website of La Maison Champs-Elysées, a 5 star boutique hotel located between the Avenue Montaigne, the Champs Elysées Roundabout and the Grand Palais, and boasting suites decorated by fashion designer Martin Margiela. There are many bright white rooms typical of boutiques like this, but the one that really caught my attention was the Curiosity Case Suite

Like a carbon cube, the walls are painted black and the parquet oak floor has been stained black. In the lounge, a wall is devoted to a curiosities case that displays various objects and texts. The dominance of black in this suite creates a delightful atmosphere that manages to be hushed & voluptuous at the same time.

this room just deepens my love for dark walls & bedrooms

seen via design tripper

, , , , , , ,

11 Responses to Cabinet Curiosites

1. Hannah @ Sparrow + Spark! Thursday 3 November, 2011 at 10:24 am #

This is really neat, but I don’t know if it would get claustrophobic?! Love the concept though!

I’m going to Paris in Feb and I spent ages torturing myself looking at the expensive boutique hotels. In the end we had to to with what we could afford (pretty basic!)- but who cares when you’re in Paris!

• Miss Moss Thursday 3 November, 2011 at 10:27 am #

i’ve been to Paris a few times and my favourite places to stay are self-catering apartments. you can get some pretty great budget options on airBnB!

2. Katdraws Thursday 3 November, 2011 at 11:10 am #

airbnb is awesome, but more awesome, those mushrooms in the room. i need those!

3. Diana Mieczan Thursday 3 November, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

Wish I could be there right now:) What a snazzy hotel! Love the colours and the whole vibe. Btw: self-catering apartments in Paris are the best! I totally agree with you. We usually book them though Haven in Paris website. They have such a fantastic little places to rent. Have a lovely day. xo

4. rooth Thursday 3 November, 2011 at 5:47 pm #

How pretty – I love those mushrooms

5. A Doffing Friday 4 November, 2011 at 12:46 am #

I went to Paris with my boss for one day and her company paid for us to stay in any hotel we liked. By chance, we chose this one due to its vicinity to where we were visiting… and they bumped us up to the suite you just posted about due to ‘technical difficulties’ with the room we’d reserved. It is EVEN COOLER than it is in these pictures. The entire hallway leading to your room has black walls, ceilings, and carpets. I am dumbfounded that you, Miss Moss, a blogger I follow regularly, is talking about something I’ve experienced firsthand, by accident.

6. amy Friday 4 November, 2011 at 11:45 am #

Gorgeous photos! Very elegant!

love
    from
    amy
    x

7. Petit-Maître Friday 4 November, 2011 at 12:18 pm #

Lovely! I fantastic concept.

8. Ta Saturday 5 November, 2011 at 4:45 pm #

I really enjoy all those mushrooms! A dark and mysterious bedroom seems to be the place a mushroom would grow.

9. Hilary Inspired Monday 7 November, 2011 at 7:07 am #

Oh my lordy… that caned lounge/wing-back chair is AMAZING! Any idea who the designer is?

10. matt Tuesday 8 November, 2011 at 4:12 am #

I like the idea of having all black walls. Although to much can be overkill. You have to decorate with moderation. I do like the look of the black on black, but wouldn’t it show a lot of dust?