Art, Vintage

Picasso

inspired by this post by lauren about francoise gilot i decided to do some vintage picasso hunting – and of course the life archives delivered. picasso lived in the town of vallauris on the french riviera for 7 years where he created ceramics at the madoura workshop (amongst other things of course – the man was nothing if not prolific). francoise is pictured in this series of photographs taken in 1949 by gjon mili, though she eventually left picasso after a myriad of infidelities.

Previous Post Next Post

• Reply Minette Tuesday 29 November, 2011 at 9:30 am

what a stunning post
    his eccentricity just glows and I love it!

• Reply vic Tuesday 29 November, 2011 at 11:26 am

I absolutely love him. I did a Picasso week a couple of months ago and have a framed photo of him hanging in my room. Dream boat: http://lost.net.au/vic/?cat=50

• Reply Edelweissnyc Tuesday 29 November, 2011 at 2:41 pm

What a beautiful story of photos.

• Reply Noemie Tuesday 29 November, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Totally gorgeous… I love these. What beautiful, quality photos…

• Reply rooth Tuesday 29 November, 2011 at 5:02 pm

The number of topless photos makes me happy for some reason – maybe when I’m that old and famous, I won’t worry about wearing a shirt either?

• Reply Dana Tuesday 29 November, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Oh, these are truly magical. I love the double exposures. I feel like I know him a bit looking at these….?! and the light exposures are pretty pretty amazing.

• Reply julie macneil Tuesday 29 November, 2011 at 5:58 pm

love the pictures! he is a favorite of mine, i love that he did collages! looking at the photos reminded me that i have a collage kit in my shop about him, if anyone wants to take a peak here’s the link: http://www.etsy.com/listing/38415670/pablo-picasso-master-of-the-arts-vintage

• Reply Haley Tuesday 29 November, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I love this post. I posted some picasso ceramics on my blog recently that I thought you might enjoy.

• Reply Matariki Tuesday 29 November, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Brian Brake has some beautiful images of Picasso too, story has it Picasso was going to be at a bullfight and many photographers clamoured to get a great shot of him. Brake ended up in a tree capturing great images and then was invited to take more photos of him and his family at their home. This is one of my favourite images http://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/objectdetails.aspx?oid=623626&imagesonly=true&term=picasso+brian+brake

• Reply kater Tuesday 29 November, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Have you ever read Life with Picasso? My mom got it for me when I was on a biography kick one summer, and it’s one of my favorites!

• Reply percentblog Tuesday 29 November, 2011 at 11:36 pm

A huge picasso exhibit was just touring the US and I was lucky enough to live across from it in Richmond and got to go multiple times (thanks VMFA membership!)

• Reply haley Wednesday 30 November, 2011 at 4:40 am

Stunning long-exposure shots! If only when I’ve tried that with sparklers it came out like that…

• Reply Stacie Wednesday 30 November, 2011 at 5:00 am

I’ve always thought Picasso was such a cutie. Especially that photo of him with bread hands. :D

• Reply 12. READ. LOOK. THINK. | Jessica Stanley. Thursday 1 December, 2011 at 9:26 pm

[…] Picasso | Francoise Gilot […]

• Reply Srm8882 Saturday 3 December, 2011 at 7:48 am

Timely post. This photography style has made a comeback in wedding photography (although obviously not as creative as these)

• Reply umanbn Sunday 4 December, 2011 at 3:44 pm

love the light photos I’ve never seen those before. How was that done without him being a blur in the background? Fun and beauty….

• Reply Yang-En Friday 9 December, 2011 at 7:33 am

haha! what great photographs!

• Reply Catalina Friday 9 December, 2011 at 9:16 pm

awzsome! great post, thank you!

• Reply Bettina Tuesday 13 December, 2011 at 4:38 am

What a special treat. I look forward to the exhibition!

• Reply Sweet Harvest Moon Wednesday 14 December, 2011 at 1:48 am

The last time I went to Paris I went to the Picasso museum, I liked it a lot!

• Reply Elsa Friday 16 December, 2011 at 1:19 am

thank you …wonderful!

• Reply Miss Moss on Picasso « Earlymasters News Friday 6 January, 2012 at 4:04 pm

[…] Miss Moss on Picasso […]

• Reply Kari Tuesday 10 January, 2012 at 12:54 am

Love! Just found your blog and am so thankful… fantastic! x

• Reply papertastebuds » Blog Archive » today’s costume : picasso Thursday 31 October, 2013 at 1:01 pm

[…] Picasso, 1949, photographed by Gjon Mili for Life Magazine. Browse more incredible photos from the series here. […]