Mother

i spotted a shot from the Mother collection on Pinterest – uncredited, of course, grrrrr – but it wasn’t until this post on Style Bubble that i learned that this is the new range from Yokoo (of hand-knitted scarves and accessories fame).

Mother stems from the desire to rid the fashion world of the notion that modern feminism is the absence of femininity. I wanted to design clothes for true feminist. Women who are not afraid to be women. Women who don’t muster up the courage to say, “yes” but feel quite comfortable in the ease of saying, “no.”┬áMother stands for an authoritative approach to femininity. In nature, the more unseen a power, the more of an authoritative the role.

, , , , ,

11 Responses to Mother

1. Hannah @ Sparrow + Spark! Tuesday 7 February, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

Love the hats! Gorgeous shoot.

2. Amelia Tuesday 7 February, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

Mother stems from the desire to rid the fashion world of the notion that modern feminism is the absence of femininity, but apparently thinks nothing of the notion that a good portion of the world’s feminists, particularly those living in the global south, have more important things to worry about than dropping $1100 on a tunic.

• Miss Moss Tuesday 7 February, 2012 at 6:25 pm #

I think that’s a bit unfair considering it’s the only item in the shop for that price (and is clearly stated as vintage and one of a kind). prices range from $33 – $85 which I think is reasonable especially in comparison to other handcrafted items on Etsy or anywhere else on the internet for that matter.

3. Asiye Tuesday 7 February, 2012 at 7:19 pm #

love the collection!

4. Amelia Tuesday 7 February, 2012 at 9:24 pm #

I hear you, but whether we’re talking about a $1100 tunic or an $85 apron, I think it’s objectionable to use feminism to sell a product that has little to do with feminism.

5. Heather Tuesday 7 February, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

I love the little peter pan collars. I feel like this line isn’t JUST trying to sell their product using feminism, I feel they’re planting an idea! Love this line!

6. Sabinna and David Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 2:30 am #

oh wow, these are absolutely gorgeous!!!

xx, Sabinna and David

7. anapangaribuan Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 3:23 am #

I love mother style! it becomes hip again on today’s look!

8. HandH Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 6:01 am #

i think i agree with amelia- to me the concept of “authoritative” and “feminist” and not really mutual. from a design pov this is certainly interesting. but from a philosopical stance, should feminism seek to supplant partriarchy or authority, or rather offer a new paradigm?

9. Courtney Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 6:09 am #

Great mission statement! I think feminism and femininity are too often seen as dichotomous.

10. caroline Thursday 9 February, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

I saw this yesternight and loved it immediately. I want to get one of those aprons.