The Missed Connections of Sophie Blackall

i watched this Etsy interview with illustrator Sophie Blackall over a cup of coffee this morning and it left me feeling so incredibly happy and warm. she has such a wonderfully inviting and serene way of talking about her work…

“i like drawing animals, but i’m ashamed to say i almost always want to put clothes on them”

you’ve probably heard about her project Missed Connections where she illustrates stories from the missed connections section of Craigslist (which is now available as a book). if you haven’t definitely have a browse through her blog, and also check out her new project Drawn from my Father’s Adventures.

, , , , ,

31 Responses to The Missed Connections of Sophie Blackall

1. Feminine Touch Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

Thanks, I discover a great illustrator.

2. Jen Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

I have dippe din and out of her work for a long time but thanks for posting this video. You are right, she speaks in such a way about her work that only goes to emphasise the love and care that clearly gets put into each picture.

Beautiful.

3. sheila Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

i have a soft spot for her missed connections project because this actually happened to me once. not on craigslist but in my university paper. ‘the girl in the black coat and lipstick and the leopard print head scarf on such & such a bus…’ i met him for drinks. it was nice. great to see the person behind the art, she’s very sentimental and that’s lovely. her transit piece is just amazing.

4. Sarah Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

Thank you for this post. And the kinfolk one! Could pin almost every post of yours on pinterest… :)

5. Sarah Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

I love love love this! Thank you for sharing.

6. abby Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

my husband and i watched this together last night before bed and thought it was lovely.

7. Karena Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

How wonderful I love her art!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

8. Aimee Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

these are AMAZING, I might buy the book for my Mum, she’d LOVE it!

9. Teresa @ Splendid Sass Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

Love your blog! I was sent over by Sande.
    Have a nice Wednesday.
    Teresa
    xoxo

10. Hannah Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

yesss!!! I heard about this in one of my illustration classes and ordered a copy of the book right after. the artwork is so beautiful!

11. Kristi Kyle Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

She is truly amazing. Just the inspiration I needed to start working this evening. Glad I clicked over :)

12. Heather Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 8:01 pm #

These are so cool! LOVE! Thanks for sharing :)

13. Jane Flanagan Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

These are so beautiful!

14. annie Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 11:03 pm #

A city can be harsh and hard-edged, and I was gently reminded of its human element. thanks for sharing.

15. Liza Thursday 9 February, 2012 at 12:00 am #

That video just warmed my soul! I’ve seen her work around the traps, but seeing this interview just added so much to the person behind the paintbrush… They should make such videos for ALL lovely artists… That was beautiful, thank you for sharing.

16. Lilo Thursday 9 February, 2012 at 6:52 am #

Thanks! Finding your website was like hitting the gold mine! Can’t wait to come home from work and see what you have for us!

17. katie hart Thursday 9 February, 2012 at 8:10 am #

what a talented lady Sophie is! her missed connections illustrations are positively adorable, and I loved watching that video. thanks so much for sharing– what an inspiration!!

18. Belinda Thursday 9 February, 2012 at 8:57 am #

Oh I saw these a couple of years ago. Sophie’s work is great, isn’t it!

19. Linda Thursday 9 February, 2012 at 9:35 am #

So endearing! Found this on “A Gift Wrapped Life” blog and so glad I got to see this. An amazing talent not only for her art work but for her insight into others around her. Thanks!

20. the style crusader Thursday 9 February, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

I clicked on the video and didn’t plan on watching the whole thing but her description of her work and the characters was so enchanting that I couldn’t turn it off.

Really incredible and so beautiful. xx

21. annie Thursday 9 February, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

I can’t believe this is the first time I have heard of this…brilliant, charming. So happy to have found your blog and for the introduction to Sohie Blackall’s work. Just ordered the book.

22. Rebecca Thursday 9 February, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

I have been following Sophie’s work for a few years, but had not yet watched her Etsy interview! So beautifully shot– it makes her seem so pensive and in awe of all the lives being lived around her. Very endearing!

23. Juliette Thursday 9 February, 2012 at 9:36 pm #

After hearing her talkin and hearing the story behind the illustrations, the illustration themselves become even greater.

24. Arielle Thursday 9 February, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

thank you so much for sharing this artist’s work! so amazing, i love looking through missed connections and making up stories for them :)

25. marianne clancy Friday 10 February, 2012 at 5:29 am #

hasn’t she always been a major trend setter with art and type? I worship her style! Thanks so much for this wonderful posting! love the stories as much. Like a wonderful melody of words and music.

26. Graylin Monday 13 February, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

BAH! I just did a post on my obsession with subway maps and art! Currently working on my own project here:

@graylinsample

27. katrina Tuesday 14 February, 2012 at 5:31 am #

So romantic! I love these!

28. Diana Amancio Tuesday 14 February, 2012 at 11:41 pm #

Oh just loved when she says: “I like drawing animals but I’m too ashamed to say I almost always want to put clothes on them…”

hahah

She’s as lovely as her drawings! thanks for the tip! I’ll take a better look on her work!

29. The wild bunches Thursday 16 February, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

I’m definitely buying the book.

30. eyelinr Thursday 16 February, 2012 at 8:50 pm #

Thanks for posting this. I’ve just clicked through and bought the bear suit print x

31. Rachel Townsend Monday 28 May, 2012 at 9:36 pm #

The girl on the swan bike reminded me of this day i was at this italian grocery store, on a really funky street. And there was this poster from a guy all painted in lovely colours with lots of writing, about this night he met this girl and he never got her number and cant stop thinking about her. it as sooooo lovely and so romantic. I hope she saw it and called him.

Such lovely pictures.