We need to talk about Marni

did you see the marni pre-fall 2012 collection? i feel like this was swept under the rug a bit, or perhaps i wasn’t paying attention (probably the latter) – but this is one crazy collection. when i browsed through the different looks i felt like i was meeting someone’s eccentric old aunt. you know, the outspoken one with the radical dress sense who embarrasses all the old folks at family gatherings (but who all the young kids love). i guess marni has always been that way.

i love all the pieces. the shoes, the bags, the belts, the prints, the sunglasses (!) … if you look at them separately it’s not all so mind-boggling. hey, i’m not knocking marni’s styling – it is what it always is, and it’s great. maybe don’t wear it all at once though? actually do, if you can. more power to you. i know Iris would. it would be like living in a Matisse.

17 Responses to We need to talk about Marni

1. Natasha Fatah Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 11:40 pm #

Yup, I’m with you. This is gorgeous stuff, and I’m really looking forward to collab with H&M!
    xoxo

2. Kate Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 11:44 pm #

Oh yes. Marni is definitely worth a discussion. I am literally counting down the days for the H&M collab to launch so I can fill in my wardrobe with some much needed print action.

3. Laura Wednesday 8 February, 2012 at 11:54 pm #

Love Marni! Was lucky enough to get a dress for a hefty discount when my friend interned for them a few years ago. This line is amazng!

4. Betsy Soos Thursday 9 February, 2012 at 12:25 am #

So well put together! Thanks for the recap- I personally, am amazed at how well they can mix so many interesting and textural layers together so well. I couldn’t pull all of it off at once but am looking forward to trying on some of their sunnies!

5. Lazy Lisa Thursday 9 February, 2012 at 1:52 am #

Marni is always great, i think what i prefer is the patterns, always fun and smart and pretty !

6. Heather Thursday 9 February, 2012 at 3:04 am #

Love all the colours! Cute :)

7. Petra Z. Thursday 9 February, 2012 at 6:15 am #

Thanks for sharing this fabulous source of inspiration; I’ve seen some tweets about Marni a while ago, but didn’t take the time to look at the collection in detail. Do you mind if I share this post of yours on my blog? I always give credit; I just couldn’t possibly beat your fun graphic layout:)

8. Lydia Thursday 9 February, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

I did a post about this last week! Love Marni, and I’m so glad mix and match has become acceptable fashion. I called this collection heritage librarian lol.

9. Chuck Thursday 9 February, 2012 at 10:13 pm #

I don’t think I could recreate the full collection looks but I love their pattern clashing. So good! Something to take inspiration from fo’ sho’.

10. Courtney (educatederelicts) Friday 10 February, 2012 at 12:23 am #

This is awesome! It’s nice to see such a riot of colors in a single collection.

11. Jen Friday 10 February, 2012 at 1:28 am #

love this, i will be the crazy old marni aunt one day! x

12. Amy Friday 10 February, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

Yes, everything about this collection is beautiful and FUN and vibrant, but it is so overwhelming when it’s all thrown together into complete looks. Your zoomed-in focus circles are an excellent way to take away some of the noise and admire the details.

13. Sarah B Monday 13 February, 2012 at 7:03 am #

yes, yes we do!

14. lauren Sunday 19 February, 2012 at 3:25 am #

not really sold on the hair though…looks like my very dirty morning ponytail.

15. Daughter Earth Wednesday 22 February, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

great way to show off all those fab details.

16. No chic, Sherlock! Wednesday 1 August, 2012 at 3:39 pm #

Although I am late with my reply, but still this Marni collection is amazing. and the comparison with an old aunt, sorry, crazy old aunt is to the point. And I sure would like to look like one. And this collection, in comparison with the one for H&M is … beyond words. I didn`t quite like it, wasn`t impressed at all. But this, this is another story.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Wish fulfillment. « PoseCity - Sunday 12 February, 2012

[...] Miss Moss “fangirl status” grows every time I reed each amazing post and listen to one of her music mixes. I wish she didn’t live in gosh darn South Africa so we [...]