A Sleep & A Forgetting

Islands has long been one of my favourite bands (Nick Thorburn’s side project Human Highway is also one of my very favourite things to listen to) – so i was very excited to hear the new album A Sleep & A Forgetting. it has been on repeat ever since. well, it’s been on rotation along with first aid kit. Thorburn started writing the album after breaking up with his longtime partner… so fans of Islands will no doubt recognise that it is quite different from Return to the Sea or Arm’s Way.

“This album is far more personal than any I’ve made before,” Thorburn explains. “I left New York after the end of a relationship and came to Los Angeles. There was a piano where I was staying and that’s where I wrote these songs. This record deals with loss, with memory and forgetting and with dreaming. I started writing it on Valentine’s Day and its coming out on Valentine’s Day.”

you can listen to the entire album here on their record label’s soundcloud.

, ,

8 Responses to A Sleep & A Forgetting

1. f Tuesday 21 February, 2012 at 9:45 pm #

yay, thanks for sharing! love the islands. will have to check out first aid kit…

2. katie antoniou Wednesday 22 February, 2012 at 12:27 am #

LOVE First Aid Kit-interviewed them recently http://www.run-riot.com/articles/rrtv/run-riot-interviews-first-aid-kit will look up Islands!x

3. Dana Wednesday 22 February, 2012 at 1:14 am #

:) oh wonderful. I just saw them here in LA on Valentine’s Day – they played the new album almost exclusively – really amazing and so easy on the ears. aaand plus he has such sass performing!

4. alison Wednesday 22 February, 2012 at 3:41 am #

Thanks for posting that video – hadn’t seen it yet! I love Nick; he was my prom date in high-school and he’s a wonderful person. He always said he was going to be a musician and I’m so proud of his success and talent. Have you heard his Mister Heavenly album? Really good!

5. Kori Thursday 23 February, 2012 at 5:57 am #

Thank you for this! I’ve been needing something new to listen to and sadly had never heard the Islands’ music.

6. mambo Saturday 25 February, 2012 at 4:53 am #

They are AWESOME – thanks for posting this – new music to my ears! :-)

7. Eva @ Sycamore Street Press Saturday 25 February, 2012 at 5:08 am #

Great recommendation! I’m about halfway through the album now, and I love it all.

8. Chantal Tuesday 28 February, 2012 at 4:27 am #

Have you seen the video for ‘Hallways’ yet, it’s super cool http://vimeo.com/37324750