The Red Dress

today’s guest post is from Mallory of Where The Lovely Things are. we share a love of many things, but we really bonded over our shared love of Melvin Udall in As Good as it Gets.

I’m Mallory (I mostly blog here, but also here & here, plus I tweet & pin) & every season I’m compelled to at least glance at every designer’s collection who presents during fashion week. I have no reason to do this (thus why it’s a compulsion). Do I work in fashion? No. At a magazine? Nope. Could I ever hope to buy something from a collection? Ha! Yes, I sometimes blog about my favorites, but I don’t look at the collections because I’m going to blog about them, I blog about them because I spent all that freaking time clicking through each look. I think – “I might as well throw together few posts. Don’t totally waste hours of your life, Mal”.

A week or so ago I lay in some sort of zombie-daze state looking through collection after collection and I realized that I got a little jolt of excitement every time I found an awesome red dress. I realized (or at least I tried to convince myself) that that was why I ended up scrolling through all these fashion fests when I should be sleeping: I’m looking for red dresses. Because I looooooove red dresses.

When I was a little girl and my mother dressed me, red dresses were always prevalent. When I started dressing myself they cropped up just as much. My favorite dresses I ever wore to dances in high school – red. If I’d been invited to the Oscars I’d have worn the color of the carpet. And when I get married someday I may wear white, but only for a little bit (if at all) then it’ll be… yeah – red.

So, for this guest post I thought I’d put together some of my favorite red dresses from the Fall 2012 ready-to-wear collections as well as some of my favorite red dresses from movies (because I love movies as much as I love red dresses). Here we go…

Felder Felder / See by Chloé / Imitation of Christ / Emilia Wickstead

Mélanie Laurent as Shosanna in Inglorious Basterds

Karen Walker / Monique Lhuillier / Jonathan Saunders / Calvin Klein Collection

Alicia Silverstone as Cher in Clueless

Matthew Williamson / Michael Kors / Marchesa

Grace Kelly as Margot in Dial M for Murder

Thakoon / Jonathan Saunders / Michael van der Ham / Christopher Kane

Stockard Channing as Rizzo in Grease

St. John / Tadashi Shoji / Monique Lhuillier / Sachin + Babi

Nicole Kidman as Satine in Moulin Rouge

Sophie Theallet / Monique Lhuillier / Imitation of Christ / Monique Lhuillier

Marilyn Monroe as Lorelei and Jane Russell as Dorothy in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Emilia Wickstead / Reed Krakoff / Jil Sander

Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins in (obvs.) Mary Poppins

Finally, I had to include Helen Hunt as Carol in As Good As It Gets because one of the reasons Diana is awesome (other than her amazing blog) is her ability to recognize quotes / references from this movie. I’ve encountered few people who know what I mean when I say “Good times, noodle salad”, so I totally appreciate when I find someone who does. Sadly for Carol the Waitress, Melvin insults her lovely red dress when they go out on their date. But then to make it up to her he tells her “You make me want to be a better man” and she says it’s the best compliment of her life, so it’s all okay. For a few minutes, at least.

, , , , , ,

23 Responses to The Red Dress

1. Kate Friday 9 March, 2012 at 9:32 am #

what a treat! :)

2. Alice Friday 9 March, 2012 at 9:57 am #

Woaw beautiful post ! if you like red, you will surely like the work of Ida Klamborn, she’s a young swedish designer:

3. classiq Friday 9 March, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

What a beautiful post! One of my blogging friends sent me the link and I’m very glad she did. Fashion and films (especially classic movies) are my passions and this has been a real treat. I love the Hitchcock heroine style and Grace Kelly looks so beautiful in that dress, very suggestive for the plot as well. And what a movie “As Good As It Gets” was, the actors and dialogue were great.
    Ada

4. Carolyn Friday 9 March, 2012 at 4:29 pm #

I love the first Imitation of Christ one – absolutely beautiful. Romola Garai wears a very similar one in Glorious 39.

Bardot also wears a fabulous red figure hugging dress in And God Created Woman.

5. Scout Friday 9 March, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

Dial M For Murder is one of my favorites, and so is that dress, and, of course, so is Grace Kelly. I think you’ve inspired me to watch that today!

6. nina Friday 9 March, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

Clueless- always a great reference. Going to watch it this weekend with knee high socks and platforms x

7. zuri Friday 9 March, 2012 at 8:10 pm #

Don’t forget that Cher’s dress is an Alaia!

8. Allison Friday 9 March, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

“This is an Alaia!!” :) :)

9. yvonne Friday 9 March, 2012 at 10:26 pm #

what am amazing post! Just brilliant.

10. Prim and Pimp Friday 9 March, 2012 at 10:48 pm #

i loved Alicia Silverstone in Clueless esp. that scene where she gets robbed in the red dress!!! I am laughing just thinking about it

xoxo
    P&P

11. c Friday 9 March, 2012 at 11:06 pm #

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/02/the-red-dress-effect.html?ref=hp A scientific study on the “Red Dress Effect”

12. jenny Saturday 10 March, 2012 at 1:22 am #

a bit more crass, but I can’t help but think of cameron diaz’s tight red dress in “there’s something about mary” … only her and her cute platinum bob could make that inadvertent hair-do so adorable.

13. Alexandra Saturday 10 March, 2012 at 10:03 am #

I love red dresses. You’re forgetting the amazing one Eva Green wears in The Dreamers:

14. Emily Saturday 10 March, 2012 at 4:35 pm #

So much fun!
    I have to say, you should come hang out with my grandmother – or at least, you guys would have some fun quoting As Good As It Gets to one another. It’s one of the movies she’s watched so many times (she has a thing for Jack Nicholson, Something’s gotta give is another favorite) and I think she gets a little frustrated when we don’t understand what she is giggling to herself about, after recalling one of his jokes. Next time I’m home, I’ll be sure to sit down with her to watch it again, and will crack some jokes!

15. absolutelyawesomethings. Sunday 11 March, 2012 at 3:41 am #

woow,they look fabulous.nice blog.

16. annelouise Sunday 11 March, 2012 at 6:30 am #

hi mallory ;)

love your compulsion of obsessively looking at clothes that you’re not going to buy…i know that scenario all too well (the style.com app on my iphone has gotten me through many a bleary-eyed morning on public transport, that’s for sure!)

and beautiful dress selection. i’m not a big wearer of red dresses because of the whole ‘red dress effect’ thing that another commenter posted about, but still love them. especially on cher from clueless. seriously, will that movie ever be not funny? i doubt it.

17. Catherine Monday 12 March, 2012 at 7:40 am #

This post is so good. Firstly, I love Where the Lovely Things Are, so it’s cool to see Mallory guest-blogging on another one of my favorite blogs!

Secondly, this is just an incredible post on its own. All of these iconic red dresses are from some of my favorite movies (especially Clueless) that were so influential on my own sense of fashion. It was fun to scroll through and reminisce, and to see all of the lovely red contemporary dresses! ;)

18. iris Monday 12 March, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

Michelle Obama on election night 2008.

19. Jillian Monday 12 March, 2012 at 11:59 pm #

How do you write women so well? I think of a man, and I take away reason….and accountability.

20. Xeana Tuesday 13 March, 2012 at 8:22 pm #

In such a bright dress any girl hard to miss!

21. Marie Friday 16 March, 2012 at 2:56 am #

The dress Julia Roberts wears in Pretty Woman!

22. Nelja Saturday 17 March, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

Only because of you I now have a red dress.

23. fringster Sunday 8 April, 2012 at 10:53 pm #

I remember the As Good As It Gets Movie~ nice post.