Empty Spaces

Brian Henry is a photographer from Baltimore who bought his first camera in 2004 and has been honing his skills ever since. he has a wonderful collection of photographs documenting abandoned places, a theme that it central to his work

My current portfolio reveals lost places, neglected buildings, decay, with occasional concepts conceived through dreams and strange films from the 70s. Most of my photographs are taken with vintage cameras, using Polaroid film. I am very experimental with my work and often find myself doing it “wrong” or just whatever feels right. My photos are sometimes manipulated or abused, or left in abandoned buildings to decay.

whenever i see places like this i can’t help but think, that couch would be GREAT if it just got a bit of love. or, what a beautifully crafted sink… and it’s just sitting there. etc etc. this place in particular boasts some of the most vibrant wallpaper i’ve seen in a while, some of which i would even contemplate decorating my own home with.

there is a lot of photography on flickr by people who enjoy capturing abandoned & restricted places and buildings (this group has over half a million photographs, for instance) – if you’re interested in this kind of thing and want to delve into it a bit more check out some of the urban explorers groups on flickr.

all photographs by Brian Henry

, , , , ,

9 Responses to Empty Spaces

1. Courtney (educatederelicts) Tuesday 10 April, 2012 at 10:18 am #

These are such evocative photographs! I especially love the lonely telephone in the first one and the open drawers.

2. Hannah @ Sparrow + Spark! Tuesday 10 April, 2012 at 10:23 am #

Love the abandoned bowling place- really makes you think. Great find!

3. Thea Tuesday 10 April, 2012 at 10:47 am #

Oh gosh, that wallpaper is so lovely! My favourite is the one of that tiny apartment with the sink next to the bed and the bedclothes abandoned and scrunched. So lonely, I wonder what happened to its owner.

4. Lies Tuesday 10 April, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

There’s something really fascinating about these abandoned places. I bet a city like Detroit is a popular subject for these photographers, I’m definitely going to check out the flickr community. :)

5. sheila Tuesday 10 April, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

these places are so creepy, they remind me of the overlook hotel, off-season of course. ew! he has a great eye. i love that scene into the bathroom. metallic wallpaper is the craziest.

6. sally Tuesday 10 April, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

Wow, he has come across the prettiest abandoned buildings! I only ever see burned shells by the highway…

Reminds me of this podcast: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/199/house-on-loon-lake — so fascinating, so sad to think of the people who once walked there (who had such great style!).

7. Connecting Four Tuesday 10 April, 2012 at 5:50 pm #

the pool area picture is so interesting… It makes me want to jump into the picture to investigate more!

8. twiggs Monday 16 April, 2012 at 2:33 am #

i also a thing for abandoned spaces, specially if they have some colours left. as i’ve wrote on another comment, i’m a photographer and i’m also doing a wedding here and there, and last month i did one that was going to be on some abandoned houses. they ended up not doing the ceremony there, but we took a bunch pf photos in that place! and i really loved this!

9. Ben Reynolds Thursday 19 July, 2012 at 6:52 am #

Really beautiful stuff. Th lighting he uses is exceptional. I also have an ‘empty spaces’ project happening at http://www.theunknownproject.wordpress.com. But along way off this quality yet. Does anyone know what camera and film he used for this?