Raymond Loewy House, Palm Springs

i was browsing through my brother’s huge collection of architectural inspiration when i came across the Raymond Loewy House designed by Albert Frey. Raymond Loewy was an industrial designer notable for his work on the coca-cola bottle, the shell logo, the lucky strike pack and many other iconic designs. he even appeared on the cover of Time in 1949. so i guess it goes without saying that such a brilliant creative mind would live in an equally brilliant creative home.

Designed by Palm Springs architect Albert Frey, built in 1946-47 as a bachelor retreat, and expanded later when Loewy got married. Loewy’s home is a typical Palm Springs modernist villa with a low-slung pavilion and plenty of glass providing striking views of desert, mountains, and the pool and garden… making the private oasis complete. Loewy despised “bad modern” design, especially furniture, so the size, shape, and rooms of the home and furnishings were kept simple and spare. It is a demure house of small size but generous impact.

quote & images courtesy of  Faustian Urge

, , , , ,

15 Responses to Raymond Loewy House, Palm Springs

1. Tina Wednesday 16 May, 2012 at 10:53 am #

oh,WOW

Such an amaizing house!totally love it,you’ve got the feeling that Marylin is hanging around in some of the pictures as well;)

2. Juliette - Des chaises en couleur Wednesday 16 May, 2012 at 11:42 am #

I love Palm Springs and all these incredible houses build in the fifties – and this one is so amazing, thanks for the pictures :)

3. Sarah Wednesday 16 May, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

Love everything about this post!

4. Cally Wednesday 16 May, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

Beautiful, a mid century dream! I love how the fitted carpet goes up to the edge of the pool!!

5. michelle Wednesday 16 May, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

Wow ! Thank you for showing these picture , I’m in rainy London right now
    and those images have perked me up ,what a dream of a place , I wonder if it still exists ?

6. Melissa Wednesday 16 May, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

I am a palm springs architecture FREAK and these pictures almost made me have a heart attack. What I would give to have this house! I love the rock in the pool, and of course that classic mid century glass-wall-with-long-curtains look. UNGH.

7. Dana Wednesday 16 May, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

pretty spectacular. an oasis! reminds me of the house used in A Single Man.

8. Den Moss Thursday 17 May, 2012 at 9:46 am #

great photos! i’ve just expanded my archi library a bit more, thanks!
    for the ultimate in mid-century Palm Springs modernism, nothing beats the Kaufmann House of course (Richard Neutra, 1946).
    but there weren’t as many babes hanging around it though…

9. Sam Thursday 17 May, 2012 at 11:28 am #

God, that is gorgeous. My practical self does question the use of carpet so near a pool though. If it were my pool, the carpet would be soaked! But honestly, I think I could get over that if I had such a view of cacti and mountains to swim beside.

10. Carolyn Thursday 17 May, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

They could be from a Bond film, couldn’t they. Was it Diamonds are Forever, where the two sexy ladies/martial arts experts aptly named Thumper and Bambi emerge from a pool like the one above? Cx

11. Stacey Sunday 20 May, 2012 at 4:36 am #

It reminds me of the Mad Men episode when Don goes to Palm Springs. Love!

12. Philippa Monday 21 May, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

Utterly divine…

13. Michelle Tuesday 22 May, 2012 at 2:09 am #

Yea Stacey! Isn’t it the house from an episode of Mad Men?? Im pretty sure it is.

14. heather Thursday 18 April, 2013 at 7:36 pm #

I am so drooling over these photos! Thank you for writing this.

15. Grace Hendo Tuesday 5 November, 2013 at 4:12 am #

My jaw has literately dropped! I honestly wish I could go back in time to this magnificent oasis. Truly beautiful architecture!