Matching Shoes

i suppose i have been kind of shoe obsessed around here lately – and this is of course because i am truly shoe obsessed in real life at the moment. at the moment? all. the.time. it’s quite difficult finding really nice (affordable) shoes in south africa, so that’s why a lot of my internet daydreaming is shoe related.

this editorial was shot by nina leen in 1946 for life magazine. as you can see the theme is matching shoes… and i mean literally matching to your outfit – not just matching your shoes to your handbag (which i find pretty ridiculous and outdated, let them clash i say). it’s a really fun and fashion-forward editorial considering this was the mid-fourties, and i wouldn’t mind snapping up the plaid booties in the second to last image… but i’d keep the hat at home.

all images courtesy of the life image archives.

, , , ,

21 Responses to Matching Shoes

1. Reptilia Wednesday 23 May, 2012 at 11:24 am #

Wow, that is too cool! Woman from this photos are so elegant and stylish..

xx

2. Larita Wednesday 23 May, 2012 at 11:28 am #

It’s strange how ridiculous the pairing looks. But it’s sweet also to note how much care is put into a woman’s wardrobe. It remind’s me of when I visit my grandmother in Klerksdorp and all the ‘tannies’ outfits are paired up to the max.

3. Emma-Jane Wednesday 23 May, 2012 at 11:32 am #

heee. these are so funny and so bizarre!

4. Material Fixations Wednesday 23 May, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

These pictures are so fun and revealing of the then current trends. I love these all plaid all the time looks, despite not being quite ready to wear them myself.
    Material Fixations

5. Sarah Wednesday 23 May, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

This is totally rad! I feel ya on the shoe thing. I feel like I have been obsessed with shoes too and can’t find any that are awesome without the heavy price tag.

btw thanks for the rug/kilim listings! I think I may have found the perfect one for my place :)

6. June Wednesday 23 May, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

I find those pictures so funny, but I am not sure if that was their intention at the time.

7. sheila Wednesday 23 May, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

bizarro! love the woman at the top, i desperately want her long tweed shorts and socks, but maybe not her elf shoes. however, i do think we should all wear lace gloves again everywhere we go.

8. Camille Wednesday 23 May, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

I find funny how they went as far as covering the sides of the soles with the fabric. It’s an interesting idea, but wouldn’t it be quite impractical unless you almost only own skirts/shorts/accessories in one single pattern (or maybe two)? Also, don’t you think the model in the first photo resembles Léa Seydoux?

9. dreamy Wednesday 23 May, 2012 at 7:00 pm #

Amazing. It must be sartorially frustrating living in South Africa sometimes!

10. Jasmin Wednesday 23 May, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

How cute! I had a aunt that use to dress like this! So charming!

11. Connie Wednesday 23 May, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

As odd as these look, these women are still more put together than most people you see wandering around today. I actually really like the pigeon feeder’s shoes. I would wear those today!

12. Fashion News Thursday 24 May, 2012 at 11:12 am #

Cool pics! Though I must admit I’m more for contrasting looks.

13. Please Don't Tell Thursday 24 May, 2012 at 1:31 pm #

Nothing wrong with a bit of matchy matchy but it’s the matching shoes, hat AND skirt that really is going for this trend big time….we do love the very fact that all of these girls look exceptionally ladylike<a href="http://www.shoppleasedonttell.com/shop/dresses.html&quot; and aren't dressing with everything on show!! Very proper.

14. Please Don't Tell Thursday 24 May, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

We love this the strange and wonderful world of dressing

15. Sydney B. Thursday 24 May, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

These images are incredible! Thank you for sharing.

~Syd

16. Sweet Harvest Moon Thursday 24 May, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

Haha, these are funny!

17. Maegan Friday 25 May, 2012 at 1:22 am #

I really appreciate how much thought went into getting dressed in previous decades. I’m not sure I’d be able to keep up with it, though! Did one buy shoes, shirts, hats, and pocketbooks all at once? Make them at home? Or is this a rare sampling of models in a planned editorial? We may never know.

18. Cat Friday 25 May, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

These are such a great images!

cat

19. our youth Friday 25 May, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

Oh wow, never seen those before. Wonderful!

20. cervatillo Sunday 27 May, 2012 at 12:25 am #

this site is fantaschic!

21. Rosaspina Vintage Tuesday 29 May, 2012 at 11:21 pm #

Oh my my… Diana, your blog is Evil :) It somehow teases me to stop by every time I have an illustration deadline and voilà, I’m hooked, spending hours daydreaming through your pictures :)
    Thanks for being such an inspiration!
    Ale