Game of Givenchy

i haven’t really been paying attention to the fall 2012 couture shows, not until Kristina tweeted that the Givenchy collection must have drawn some inspiration from Game of Thrones. I’m actually surprised that Hamish Bowles didn’t mention that in his review, even though there was an entirely direwolf-like dog present. so, you know, i just couldn’t help myself.

, , , , , ,

30 Responses to Game of Givenchy

1. Naurnie Thursday 5 July, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

OH MY. As a GoT fan, I am adoring this.

2. Liz Thursday 5 July, 2012 at 3:31 pm #

Wow. All SO beautiful.

3. Sam Thursday 5 July, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

Wow you are good at this – had such a good chuckle. Thank you :-)

4. Jocelyn Thursday 5 July, 2012 at 5:50 pm #

Wow lovely post. I’m a huge GoT fan and the clothes are beautiful.

5. Dana Thursday 5 July, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

this is the fucking best! so rad and gorgeous. next season are you there yett.

6. dervla @ The Curator Thursday 5 July, 2012 at 6:52 pm #

wow, love this … i think you’re totally right! Game of Thrones is amazing and I’m not surprised it was a source of inspiration.

7. Shirley Thursday 5 July, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

Awesome post! I especially love the little flash of leg in the dress in the second photo, perfect amount of sexy.

8. Lauren Thursday 5 July, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

I definitely see the connection and I cannot wait for season 2 to come out on DVD. I think the dresses you’ve put next to Daenerys and Tywin are my favorites. The detail on everything is just magnificent!

9. Kate Thursday 5 July, 2012 at 10:34 pm #

No kidding!! I totally thought that when I saw the collection but figured I was just having GOT withdrawals! The collection blew me away – the richness of the fabrics and textures is so alluring!

Kate

10. Siri Thursday 5 July, 2012 at 11:03 pm #

Ah, this is brilliant!!

11. Daphne Thursday 5 July, 2012 at 11:57 pm #

Ah, it has been bugging me, I just couldn’t put my finger on it. But you’re absolutely right! I already commented that I found the collection evocative, haunting and very thought-provoking, but now I think it may be because somewhere in my subconscious dormant emotions related to GoT were being aroused.

12. stephanie marie Friday 6 July, 2012 at 6:09 am #

Ha, I love this, you did such a perfect job– and your choice of screenshots from the show make me laugh! That last one– sad moment!

13. lauren winter Friday 6 July, 2012 at 7:40 am #

this is the best! YES game of thrones and couture fashion. I love when inspiration comes from all sorts of places.

14. Amelia Friday 6 July, 2012 at 10:18 am #

Yes! Made my friday. And, as Sam says, Diana, you are REAL good at this juxtaposition game! :)

15. Andrew Friday 6 July, 2012 at 10:58 am #

Diana this is ridiculously amazing I love it. luh uh uh uhv it. oh and your mixtapes which are now on a good Selah rotation. thank you for working on these they amazing. actually I think Craig and Karin both are playing them too so you’re beginning to voice the Woodstock Foundry. so rad yo

16. Nora Friday 6 July, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

Wow, this is so true, well put together. Love love love GoT!!

17. Krista @ Blonde Aesthetic Friday 6 July, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

I love this so much!! Two of my favorite things in one.

18. lazy lisa Friday 6 July, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

this is so clever ! you have a great eye !

19. patuxxa Friday 6 July, 2012 at 5:58 pm #

I loved this collection, and your comparisons are spot on! Direwolves! Armour! (can you tell that I’m a GoT fan?) I’m really loving the juxtapositions in Givenchy’s latest collections… I described the last one as “Maoris taking over Downton Abbey”. Stunning.

20. Hope Saturday 7 July, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

This is fantastic – it made me laugh out loud!

21. MrPaul Saturday 7 July, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

Very clever , love it.

22. jo Sunday 8 July, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

Thank you for posting these photos they are amazing!!

Jo. x

23. homestilo Monday 9 July, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

G O T never looked so good!

24. sally Monday 9 July, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

Ahh awesome! The big glasses also remind me of Quaithe!

25. xixia Wednesday 11 July, 2012 at 1:10 am #

This is an amazing post. Thank you so much for compiling this!
    I’m always awed by the fashion in GoT, so it’s really cool to see it reimagined by this designer.
    ♥ xixia

26. christine Wednesday 11 July, 2012 at 12:54 pm #

My partner is a big Game of Thrones fan….says you’re right on the money. LOL x

27. Sean Bean Friday 24 August, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

Game of Thrones? No idea what you’re talking about. That one next to Brienne might as well be a curried banana for all the resemblance it bears to her.

Even Joffrey is staring in bewilderment at the piece next to him. Rasberries? Strawberries? Blood-filled buboes? No idea how that is supposed to reflect him at all.

A good thing the designer isn’t claiming to have been inspired by GoT, she would soon be sent to the wall.

28. emm Sunday 26 August, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

I’m an avid reader of the book series and a fan of the tv series and though some of those designs are gorgeous the similarities to GoTs designs are minimal at best. I must say the statement claiming similarities based on the fact that a model is standing beside a german shepherd in one shot is really clutching at straws.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. ¿Givenchy inspirado en Game Of Thrones? « Prendelis, compartiendo la moda - Wednesday 11 July, 2012

[...] Miss Moss Compartelo:Me gusta:Me gustaBe the first to like [...]

2. Fashion on Film: Winter is Coming « sayhayday - Monday 30 July, 2012

[...] stylistic mixture to a whole new couture level. The comparisons are best seen in Miss Moss’s photo matches, my favourites of which are pictured [...]