shorpy
Vintage

Exploring Shorpy

i haven’t visited Shorpy in a long time, but since i’ve been enjoying the latest seasons of period dramas like Downton Abbey and Boardwalk Empire lately i thought it was time for a deep browsing session. it’s remarkable to see how rapidly things changed at the turn of the century (this is all i kept thinking when watching the season finale of Downton Abbey – how weird to see the characters in the context of a roaring twenties dance club). these photos are in chronological order and range from 1900 through to 1977, and though they are by no means comprehensive or representative of all those decades it’s still pretty cool to see how time goes by. it’s also interesting to see how photos changed when cameras became a staple of every home – a lot of vacation pics and posing in front of cars.

all images courtesy of Shorpy.

Previous Post Next Post

• Reply Arvolyn Tuesday 13 November, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Love this! Especially the quality of the photos even a simple posed picture looks fantastic.

• Reply Lorena Tuesday 13 November, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Such a beautiful images! Love the black and white photos

• Reply Jene' Tuesday 13 November, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I haven’t been on Shorpy in forever! It’s about time i revisit it! Thanks for reminding me.

• Reply Marta Tuesday 13 November, 2012 at 7:46 pm

These pictures are amazing!

• Reply Laura Tuesday 13 November, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Oh-My. Best photo post ever. Deeply in love with the two 20’s girls on bikes <3

• Reply Alicia Tuesday 13 November, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Awesome find! What a pleasure to look through these. I love checking in here every day :)

• Reply Jen Tuesday 13 November, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Holy balls. MY EYES ARE FULL OF AWESOME NOW. Thanks for posting, Diana! xx

• Reply Amanda M. Wednesday 14 November, 2012 at 2:04 am

I love this set of images. There are so many inspiring ones! I especially like the first one.

• Reply adeleine Wednesday 14 November, 2012 at 4:16 am

Wow, thanks so much for that post. I’m fascinated by the late Edwardian era, and there were a ton of photos there that I haven’t seen on the web before. Particularly liked the one of the woman beside the tree, and the restored group of nymphs. Enjoyed the modern captures too. Thanks!

• Reply Darcy Wednesday 14 November, 2012 at 4:56 am

This is wonderful! Thank you for sharing! I can’t stop looking at all the images.

• Reply Linda Geertsen Wednesday 14 November, 2012 at 7:36 am

That was very interesting to scroll through. Thanks for the post!

• Reply rachael Wednesday 14 November, 2012 at 7:49 am

i love seeing the character shining through these women…i find that is lacking in alot of old pictures.

• Reply Olive Wednesday 14 November, 2012 at 7:58 am

I am from Quebec and I am so inspired by everything from England and thats why I’m a huge Downton Abbey addict and of course, it got me an historical inspiration about an old time, old style, and all of those pictures are simply incredible! Thanks for that inspiration!

Olive xox

• Reply Cecile Wednesday 14 November, 2012 at 9:54 am

Thank you for this posting,, really good start of the day :) these pictures are amazing

• Reply lauren gabrielle Wednesday 14 November, 2012 at 7:08 pm

LOVE THIS!

Δ
    lauren gabrielle

• Reply meligrosa Thursday 15 November, 2012 at 12:51 am

I LOVE SSHORRRRRPY! <3

• Reply Kathleen Lisson Thursday 15 November, 2012 at 3:39 am

Beautiful vintage photos, a great way to train your eye to recognize vintage hats!

• Reply f Saturday 17 November, 2012 at 1:24 am

what gems! i could probably be on this site for days…

• Reply Martine Saturday 17 November, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Fabuleux !!!
    Merci beaucoup pour ces jolies photos

• Reply Nadia Monday 19 November, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Thanks for sharing these – so special. Time and the passing of it…scares me a bit!

• Reply Lise Guyot Thursday 22 November, 2012 at 1:35 am

Fantastic photographs love the crisp black&white love the era

• Reply Hayley Monday 26 November, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Thanks so much for all of the stunning images. So inspiring and makes me a little nostalgic for times that I didn’t even live in.