Mushroom & Taleggio Cheese Pie by Miss Moss (1)
Food

Mushroom & Taleggio Cheese Pie

it all started with cheese.

i fell in love with Taleggio cheese since Jess introduced it to me. so i made this pie on an icy cold day while on holiday with my family last winter. it was a hit – the cheese and the mushroom and the flaky pastry are a perfect combination. you can actually see my mom slapping my brother’s hand away from it in one of the photos. it was gone in 5 minutes.

it’s also a super easy recipe to make, especially since you use ready-made puff pastry that can be bought at any good supermarket. you all know i’m not the most prolific cook – so if i can get away with making something delicious with minimal effort, then that’s exactly what’s going to happen.

taleggio can be quite difficult to find*, and the imported Italian varieties are often pretty expensive. you can substitute with other semi-soft cheeses like fontina, havarti or raclette – though i would highly recommend hunting down some taleggio if you can! if you buy an imported variety from a local deli the cheese might have quite a pungent smell, don’t be put off by that – it actually has a far milder and almost fruity taste (especially once it’s cooked). don’t use mozzarella as it would probably prove too bland in this pie.

* for local readers: you can find Taleggio at Checkers or Woolies – look for the Portobello brand.

Mushroom & Taleggio Cheese Pie

25g butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
250g mushrooms, thinly sliced (basically one punnet of mushrooms)
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (if you can’t find fresh, freeze dried would also work)
375g fresh puff pastry (a standard roll of puff pastry)
1 small packet of fresh rocket (arugula)
300g Taleggio, sliced
1 egg, beaten

– Heat the butter and olive oil in a frying pan over a high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened.
– Reduce the heat, add the garlic and thyme leaves. Season with pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Take off the heat & leave to cool.
– Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface into a rectangular shape. Try to make it as long as you can so that you have enough space to spread the filling quite thinly.
– Scatter the rocket over 1 half of the pastry, then top with the mushrooms and sliced Taleggio.
– Brush the pastry edges with egg and fold the pastry in half over the filling, pressing to seal.
– Put on a baking sheet and prick the pastry with a fork.
– Set the pie aside to rest while you preheat the oven to 220°C / 425°F
– Egg wash the pastry and decorate as you fancy. Make a few slashes in the top before putting it in the oven.
– Bake for 15 minutes, until golden. Serve hot!

Previous Post Next Post

• Reply Madi Tuesday 5 February, 2013 at 1:43 pm

oh my drooool…. i have just had lunch yet I am strangely starving again :)

• Reply Cecilia Tuesday 5 February, 2013 at 1:43 pm

And I always thought I needed a pie dish to make pie! Thanks for sharing! :)

• Reply Clara Canepa Tuesday 5 February, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Hmmm, delicious! For how many people?

• Reply Miss Moss Tuesday 5 February, 2013 at 4:55 pm

i cut it into 8 pieces, but that’s all relative… i could easily eat half of this pie on my own.

• Reply Leather and Ice Cream Tuesday 5 February, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Looks delicious :D

Thanks for the recipe ;)

xoxo

LEATHER & ICE CREAM

• Reply Hannah Tuesday 5 February, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Wow that looks delicious! I am moving house and planning a housewarming party for next month. I am definitely going to make this!

• Reply Patricia Tuesday 5 February, 2013 at 2:33 pm

It looks delicious! and easy to prepare :) Thanks

• Reply Kerith P Tuesday 5 February, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I miss carbs so much *weep*

• Reply Mikaela Tuesday 5 February, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I had to google what rocket is, never heard of it before. at first I tried “packet of fresh rocket” and came up with tons of links about jet packs…I now know that rocket is arugula.

• Reply Miss Moss Tuesday 5 February, 2013 at 3:51 pm

hahahaha…. i will have to add a note. sorry about that!

• Reply Becca Tuesday 5 February, 2013 at 4:23 pm

so so so yum. it looks so enticing. can’t wait to make this.xxoo

• Reply Emily Tuesday 5 February, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Oh WOW! That looks amazing. I will definitely have to give it a try.

• Reply janice // two after twenty Tuesday 5 February, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Lovely! These stills are so beautiful. Thanks for sharing :)

• Reply Heidi Tuesday 5 February, 2013 at 5:24 pm

such beautiful pictures, thank you

• Reply Megan Tuesday 5 February, 2013 at 6:30 pm

wowowowow that looks amazingly delicious!!!

• Reply la domestique Tuesday 5 February, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I’m a big fan of taleggio, and luckily it’s widely available here in the U.S. This pie looks so good and comforting!

• Reply BON&JOUR Tuesday 5 February, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Oh my, cheese pie with a glass of red wine – perfect comfort food :)!

• Reply casey Tuesday 5 February, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Super yum yum! ( apparently ‘yum yum’ is too short a comment … ? had to add a ‘super’ )

• Reply Jade Sheldon Wednesday 6 February, 2013 at 2:59 am

Well, doesn’t that just look beautiful and delicious…

• Reply amanda Wednesday 6 February, 2013 at 4:41 am

yum. thank looks unbelievably professional. when i cook it is certainly nothing remotely on that level. groovy.

amanda

• Reply Mommy from Scratch Wednesday 6 February, 2013 at 11:12 pm

oh…my…god… Making it this weekend!! Looks delicious!

• Reply Tracy Lucas Thursday 7 February, 2013 at 12:54 am

Lovely clear instructions, I will definitely be making this for my husband!

• Reply Sabaa Thursday 7 February, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I’m totally in love with these food photos, I would put them on my kitchen wall at once. And great recipe as well.:)

• Reply Anna@underthealmondtree.com Friday 8 February, 2013 at 2:52 am

Looks amazingly tasty, and the photos are beautiful

• Reply Cate Friday 8 February, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Yum that looks delicious! The photos are so much nicer than some other food blogs I read. Really makes me want to make it! Thankyou

• Reply wmbg Friday 8 February, 2013 at 6:44 pm

what the hell. i will now need to go grocery shopping to make this goodness.

• Reply Madeleine Sunday 10 February, 2013 at 12:58 am

First of all, that pie looks insane. I want to reach into my computer and snag a bite, which brings me to the second thing: your photography is lovely. You have made what already reads as a ridiculously appealing dish, beautiful to look at. What a pleasure.

• Reply Jessy Lac Monday 11 February, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Made this the other night for a date. It was a big hit! Thx

• Reply Emily Tuesday 12 February, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Would it be weird/creepy to make this ahead of time, freeze, then bake in the future?

• Reply Charity Thursday 14 February, 2013 at 8:57 am

seriously having heart palpitations reading this, this so looks up my alley.

• Reply Elizabeth Tuesday 19 February, 2013 at 1:35 am

I made this for dinner with fontina cheese as store was out of tallegio. Started by sauteing shallots til very soft added mushrooms and thyme. Then I added the garlic and deglazed the whole thing with some good Chilean red wine. Used a store bought puff pastry and it was amazing! Thank you for the recipe and inspiration!

• Reply Food Links, 06.03.2013 | Tangerine and Cinnamon Wednesday 6 March, 2013 at 7:19 am

[…] A recipe for mushroom and taleggio pie. […]

• Reply Gillian Wednesday 22 May, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I live in Italy and it was a South African who introduced me to taleggio cheese! I am filing this away for a northern hemisphere autumn day.