Native Line

i’ve noticed a popular resurgence in hand weaving the past while, especially in the realm of wall hangings. i’m sure you’ve seen beautiful tapestries featured on design blogs (the stunning work of Brook&Lyn comes to mind) or cropping up on pinterest. if you’re a fan, like me, then you can add another talented artist to your most wanted weavers list – Justine Ashbee.

with a background as a fine artist known for her intricate pen drawings, she recently expanded her talents into woven pieces, wearable jewelry, hanging light sculptures and wall hangings – all of which stem from her early explorations in weaving metal sculptures as a textiles student. she collects her work and inspirations on her website Native Line.

Native Line consists of one off woven pieces, wearable jewelry, hanging light sculptures, & wall hangings, all of which stem from her early explorations in weaving metal sculptures, as a textiles student, at the Rhode Island School of Design. Inspired by the timeless motifs of indigenous woven craft work, Justine combines geometric lines with shimmering metals, to create luminary pieces of woven art, whether for your wall, or to wear as every day statement pieces.

you can buy Justine’s handwoven wall hanging objects at her online shop.

, , , , , , ,

13 Responses to Native Line

1. Diana Moss (@miss_moss) Tuesday 2 July, 2013 at 6:04 pm #

Native Line: http://t.co/gxdXwYeuSZ – beautiful black & gold handwoven wall hangings by artist Justine Ashbee.

2. Janick - Nea Tuesday 2 July, 2013 at 7:09 pm #

That is just sublime!!! I’ve always had a thing for weaving (and do a little of it myself too, not selling it yet, but practicing!) and also for native motifs and culture, so this totally talks to me!! Great work Justine! :)

3. Tracey Tuesday 2 July, 2013 at 8:12 pm #

These are so beautiful! Weaving and ceramics have to be two of my favorite things.

4. Libby Tuesday 2 July, 2013 at 9:18 pm #

This is so good. I’m looking forward to working with fibre art and weavings as part of my art coursework, and these are definitely motivating me to experiment further. The colours she’s used feel so elegant and refined, which is a really interesting juxtaposition to my idea of weavings & wall hangings as quite a simple and ‘unrefined’ craft.

5. Jen Ramos Tuesday 2 July, 2013 at 10:51 pm #

These are gorgeous!! The detail is absolutely exquisite. LOVE!!!

>>>> Madebygirl.blogspot.com
    >>>> MadeByGirl.com

6. Christine Fail Tuesday 2 July, 2013 at 11:24 pm #

These are gorgeous! They remind me of Victorian beaded purses. I would love to see one as a dress!

7. Megs Wednesday 3 July, 2013 at 12:58 am #

You need to come visit Arizona :)

8. @ShopgirlsGB Wednesday 3 July, 2013 at 5:34 pm #

Loving these handwoven wall hangings via @miss_moss! http://t.co/LQeauEbzmI

9. @elbavalverde Wednesday 3 July, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

You are gonna fall in love. Native Line // Te vas a enamorar http://t.co/yXHM2YAr4V

10. Dana Thursday 4 July, 2013 at 2:09 am #

I’ve seen her weavings in person and they are so wondrous — the gold flecks are perfect and they feel so delicate but still statementy. major lust!

11. Stacy Haskell (@TheLacquerie) Thursday 4 July, 2013 at 4:27 am #

Really like these handwoven beauties by Native Line http://t.co/zYfuxr8Fde via @miss_moss

12. SOUSOU DIYSIGN Friday 31 January, 2014 at 2:05 pm #

Oh my God, I just dicovered these wall hangings on pinterest and I love them! I’d love to have one for my sleeping space, well I think I got to learn to weave ;-)

Thanks for your blog post!
    Best wishes, sousou
    SOUSOU DIYSIGN :-)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Inspiring Interiors: Soft Neutrals - Rebecca Atwood Designs - Wednesday 2 October, 2013

[…]  Weaving by Justine Ashbee as seen on Miss Moss | Drawing by Agnes Martin | White on white plates by Elephant Ceramics | A room in blush and soft neutrals | Photo by Ravi Pankhani | Leaves by Ellsworth Kelly […]