004
Photography

Ari Gabel

it felt like just the other day that i posted about Ari Gabel’s arresting self portraits – but that was more than two years ago now! i had a long browse through his website and flickr recently, and i am very taken by the new projects he’s working on and his ongoing portraiture photography.

Ari Gabel is a working photographer whose main concentration deals with the documentation of the vanishing faces and stories held within countless individuals across the American landscape. His work is both a balance of research and shear instinct, allowing him to explore the environment around him and establish a common understanding of the land. His use of analog cameras is not due to the rarity of it’s existence in modern times, but for for the quality it posses and the personable connection it creates with the subject.

Previous Post Next Post

• Reply Linn Wednesday 7 August, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I love the atmosphere ot these photos. Long, american road, path to nowhere, looking for something impossible to find, the light similar to this from Hopper’s works and nostalgia from Murakami’s books… That’s what I, personally, find in those pictures.

Linn from all-is-pretentious.blogspot.com

• Reply girl in oslo Wednesday 7 August, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Hi.
    That last photo was truly amazing…
    Have a great day

• Reply maggie Wednesday 7 August, 2013 at 6:25 pm

These are stunning. I love portrait work like this!

• Reply petal and plume Wednesday 7 August, 2013 at 6:43 pm

what stunning work… such an artist! love!
    xx

• Reply FINNY+DILL Thursday 8 August, 2013 at 12:28 am

these images are entrancing. they bring to mind the work of william eggleston.

• Reply Rosie Thursday 8 August, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Oh my, these photographs are just gorgeous! And I can’t believe I’ve never read your blog before, it’s wonderful!

• Reply Florence Friday 9 August, 2013 at 6:20 am

Really nice! Great lighting and on film to boot…

• Reply Clemsy Friday 9 August, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Hello Diana! I just wanted to tell you that I really really love your blog. It’s very inspiring and full of excited discoveries. I always come back, now and then. I wish you good luck with everything! Peace from France.

• Reply Visual Philosophy Friday 9 August, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Awesome work. Think I like the motel photo the best. Thanks for sharing.

-VP

• Reply Marian Saturday 10 August, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Stunning pics! Thanks for sharing.

wanderingpost.wordpress.com

• Reply Sarah Sunday 11 August, 2013 at 10:00 pm

His work is very interesting. It’s gritty and real and makes you look at things differently. Can’t quite place what I feel when I see them!

-Sarah
    cococarteblanche.blogspot.com

• Reply Amanda Wednesday 14 August, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Such stunning photographs! Can’t wait to check out more of his work.
    xA