Princess Margaret

poking around the Life archives i came upon these photos of Princess Margaret visiting “British East Africa”, today Kenya, Uganda, Zanzibar and Tanzania. i mostly wanted to share these because of that fabulous dress she’s wearing in the first few images. she seemed like a fun royal, someone who was likely to cause a bit of trouble. plus she had cool sunglasses.

margaret01 margaret02 margaret03 margaret04 margaret05 margaret06 margaret07 margaret08

, , , , ,

11 Responses to Princess Margaret

1. TRENDSURVIVOR Wednesday 18 September, 2013 at 8:01 am #

Great post ! Her dress would be perfect today with all the 50s inspired full skirts everywhere. I love her hat, too!
    x
    Nina

2. Lynn Wednesday 18 September, 2013 at 9:18 am #

Wow, I love these photos! The dress, the sunglasses, her waist!

3. Classiq Wednesday 18 September, 2013 at 10:21 am #

The dress is beautiful and those sunglasses, fabulous! Yes, she seems she liked to have fun with fashion.

4. caitlin rose Wednesday 18 September, 2013 at 5:43 pm #

Neat! I’ve never seen such intimate pictures of her.

5. Rose Tinted Illustration & Design Wednesday 18 September, 2013 at 11:08 pm #

She just looks so elegant! I just love that first dress! I need to find me some 50s style frocks!

xo Maree – Rose Tinted Illustration

6. Emma Thursday 19 September, 2013 at 8:35 am #

Such a stunner! Wonderful 50s dress, tiny waist and those sunglasses! Perfect.

Great post, really enjoyed it!

Now all we need is some of that East African weather in London…

7. Louisa @ My Family & Abruzzo Thursday 19 September, 2013 at 11:01 am #

Beautiful clothes, pics and lady.

8. Frances Thursday 19 September, 2013 at 7:02 pm #

Loved seeing this post, especially as I recognised the stunning dress she’s wearing in the first picture! It’s a design by Horrockses Fashions who (sorry, you may already know all of this) specialised in patterned high quality dresses, at prices regular people could afford as well as royalty.

This one uses a pattern by the Irish artist Louis le Brocquy – you can see a sample of it in the Horrockses Fashions book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Horrockses-Fashion-Boydell-Christine/dp/185177601X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379610067&sr=8-1&keywords=horrockses+fashions). However, the book only uses a black and white picture of Princess Margaret wearing the dress – so fabulous to see it in colour, thank you for sharing!

• Miss Moss Friday 20 September, 2013 at 8:49 am #

that is so cool – how amazing! would love to see the page from that book :)

9. Joy Thursday 19 September, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

She looks absolutely divine!

10. ArizonaMegs Saturday 21 September, 2013 at 5:52 pm #

I adore all of your Life magazine posts, always a treat and trasured. Thank you,