NYC

since i have shared a bit about the wedding i thought it would be nice to show some pics from our honeymoon. whenever people asked where we were going post-wedding, and we replied NYC, they were either really excited for us or genuinely confused about our choice of destination. i guess people associate honeymoon with tropical beaches or romantic cities like Paris – but we have always, always wanted to visit NYC (ever since we first got together) and we are far more into new visiting places that allow us to explore, see museums, eat great food, shop and just experience something other than what we have at home. we have beaches at home… and fantastic ones at that.

our trip unfolded like something out of a storybook. everything we did was awesome. staying in Williamsburg and taking the subway into Manhattan every day like some kind of a real New Yorker (and being totally blasé about it – just gonna take the subway), doing a cheesy but required and ultimately enjoyable boat ride in Central Park, seeing the Book of Mormon on Broadway (highly recommended!), running into someone i know from the internet at a random subway station on our first day, experiencing Sleep No More (what a trip), eating more pizza than i could handle (i can handle more pizza than you might think), indulging in very expensive lobster rolls as a treat, seeing more art than my eyeballs could deal with, falling in love with the Natural History Museum, spotting some celebrities (ok don’t look now but Hilary Swank is eating a burger right behind you), going to the top of the Empire State building at night, eating a feast at Brooklyn Crab, spotting a Banksy, seeing ARCADE FIRE at a secret show in Brooklyn after discovering a cryptic poster in Red Hook – that actually happened! for reals! it was just absolutely unbelievable and amazing. by the end of it we were walking fit and our bank accounts were drained.

i want to thank everyone who commented on this post (and emailed) with recommendations of places to visit in NYC. we tried to do everything on the list but it was just impossible, even with 2 weeks there. if anyone is planning a visit soon be sure to check those out. you can also visit my pinterest board for more.

i took all of these photos on my iPhone.  had the best intentions to take actual nice photos with my camera, but after taking perhaps 5 shots i decided i didn’t want to view our holiday through a lens. and, because i know it will be asked, they were edited with either VSCO or Afterlight, depending on whether i was on my phone or iPad – VSCO doesn’t work so great on my iPhone anymore after the iOS7 update (of course!) so i often just used Afterlight, which is simpler but also great.

if you want to know where any of these were taken, just ask in the comments!

, , , ,

44 Responses to NYC

1. Joanna Monday 4 November, 2013 at 1:02 pm #

Amazing pics! What app did u use to edit them?:)

2. marissa (stylebook) Monday 4 November, 2013 at 1:11 pm #

fabulous photos, looks like you had the best time! i went to sleep no more for the first time in june… freaked. me. out. :)

3. Rachel @ Musings of an Inappropriate Woman Monday 4 November, 2013 at 1:13 pm #

That piratey house with the American flag out the front is amazing. Where is it? And the crab and corn! OMGyumz!

• Miss Moss Monday 4 November, 2013 at 1:15 pm #

that’s in Williamsburg, i think it might have been on Driggs avenue (somewhere between North 7th and South 3rd streets)

4. Penny Monday 4 November, 2013 at 1:15 pm #

Beautiful pics. I’m starting to plan a trip to New York NOW!

5. Kelly Brito (@PinkandLola) Monday 4 November, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

Really great photo. You really captured a side of NYC that not many people see.
    Now, where is that black restaurant with the fish head? I adore sea food and it looked fantastic!

6. Mariel Monday 4 November, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

Lovely photos!

7. Aurélie Monday 4 November, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

Wow some amazing pics you have there! Sounds like you had an amazing honeymoon :) And congrats with the wedding ;)
    x

8. kim Monday 4 November, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

Coolest most uncheesy honeymoon ever.

9. vicky fernandez Monday 4 November, 2013 at 3:17 pm #

Diana, wonderful pics!! There is a photo of a shop window with plants and 2 ladders…what is it? a shop?

10. Brooke Monday 4 November, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

So happy for you that you had such a great time in NYC! It really is an amazing city and it looks like you guys did so many great things! Love the pictures.

11. charlotte | the vintage vogue Monday 4 November, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

I think it’s neither weird nor confusing to want to honeymoon in NYC. My husband and I will be celebrating our ten year anniversary there and I will be coming back to your site for places to experience. Thanks for the cheat-sheet!

It looks so heavenly and romantic – can’t wait…

12. kelsey Monday 4 November, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

gorgeous and great shots with the iphone!

13. jedwabnik Monday 4 November, 2013 at 5:04 pm #

A red bike – absolutely the best! :)

14. Samantha Monday 4 November, 2013 at 6:06 pm #

Hey there!
    A few girlfriends and I are planning on spending a week in NYC come December and I was wondering if anyone could recommend places for us to go, places to eat, and places to stay. We’re freshmen in university and therefore on a tight budget so the cheaper the better! We’re looking for local spots so nothing too fancy :)
    Thanks!
    Samantha
    thesugarwoman.blogspot.hk

15. June Monday 4 November, 2013 at 6:27 pm #

What a dream honeymoon!
    To tell you how bad I love NYC: I have been subscribed to New Yorker magazine for 2 years and I have neven been there, or to the US for that matter.

16. christine mclaughlin Monday 4 November, 2013 at 6:28 pm #

hi, just letting @Kelly Brito @Pink&Lola , the photo she has with the fish head is actually The Crab Shack in Red Hook , not the Good Fork) like she had written above… …just in case you try to go and dont get the right place :)
    she has The Good Fork in another photo. probably just a mistake
    but The Crab Shack is awesome!!
    I love Red Hook!!! definitely worth a visit while you here in NY!!

17. Celine Monday 4 November, 2013 at 6:44 pm #

Thank you very much for all these magic pictures & for your website. It’s always a pleasure to discover your new post. You are making great job, i love it!

18. maggie Monday 4 November, 2013 at 8:32 pm #

so gorgeous! I am glad that you took a honeymoon that was important to both of you – who cares if it’s not the stereotypical honeymoon??

Congratulations again!

19. Justine Monday 4 November, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

Wonderful pics! (The sheer splendor of your wedding ones made me weep!) I think it’s great that you honeymooned in NYC!!
    What is the building in your fourth to last pic, with plants that droop through the architecture?
    I also wonder which museums you hit. Looks like you saw some interesting works.

Congratulations on your new marital bliss!

Justine
    (Long time fan, first time commenter)

• Miss Moss Tuesday 5 November, 2013 at 6:46 am #

i’m not sure what the building’s name is, but it’s around the corner from the apple store on West 14th Street.

we went to the Met, MoMa and the natural history museum.

20. Ida Huntic Monday 4 November, 2013 at 10:02 pm #

Beautiful photographs of NYC, I love the colours and you captured such a lively atmosphere!

21. Maria Demarchi Tuesday 5 November, 2013 at 12:39 am #

Hi!!

Your photos are amazing!! I have 3 questions:

1- The seventh photo, wiht the tunnel, is it on Central Park?
    2- Where did you took the black and white one, where we can see the Empire State Building?
    3- Where is the penultimate, with the sunset and the red building?

Continue travelling and doing those amazing photos.

Thankfully,
    Maria.

• Miss Moss Tuesday 5 November, 2013 at 6:42 am #

1 – yes, at the south end of the park
      2 – that was taken at the top of the Rockefeller center
      3 – view from a friend’s place in SoHo

22. Amanda M. Tuesday 5 November, 2013 at 2:03 am #

You need to take more pictures for your blog. These are amazing! Well done!

• Miss Moss Tuesday 5 November, 2013 at 6:41 am #

thank you! i would like to take more, time willing :)

23. Amal Tuesday 5 November, 2013 at 2:17 am #

It makes me so happy that you chose NYC for a honeymoon destination. Your pictures capture my favorite town so beautifully! My favorite is the tiny skinny East Village building, which I always notice, too!

24. Ana Tuesday 5 November, 2013 at 2:29 am #

<3 pics
    <3 wedding
    <3 all the inspiration from your site

Also <3 <3 <3 the PET PORTRAITS! Where is that? Do you happen to know whether they have a site? Thanxs!

25. Jade Sheldon-Burnsed Tuesday 5 November, 2013 at 4:26 am #

Ah! What an incredible trip! You and your husband sound like me and mine. We went to London for our honeymoon and people thought that was so strange of us, but we had a wonderful time. Our favorite things to do together include eating and exploring so it made more sense to experience a new city than to spend hours sitting on a beach…

26. scaccioNY Tuesday 5 November, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

oh Pies n tights :(
    seriously missing NYC.

27. Forest Green Wednesday 6 November, 2013 at 5:29 am #

I lived in the Bronx as a small child, and it was a special treat to visit the Natural History Museum. What an incredible place! I always tell friends visiting New York to take a day (at least) and visit the Natural History Museum. No one has ever been disappointed.

On another note, I have followed your website for some time now. I just love your sense of style. It seem much more sophisticated than anything we have here in North America. I now want to visit South Africa! Very best wishes from Canada to you!

28. hélène renaut Wednesday 6 November, 2013 at 9:24 am #

Lovely photos! of course to be expected from you. thank you for blogging, I’m a silent but faithful follower :)

29. cheyenne Thursday 7 November, 2013 at 9:26 am #

suuuch lovely pictures :) i don’t think it’s a weird choice, NYC is an amazing city!
    xo, cheyenne

30. Vanessa Monday 11 November, 2013 at 11:36 am #

I have tears in my eyes. New York is the most beautiful place in the world and it’s perfect for Honeymoon. When I scrolled through your photos (LOVE THEM) I remembered my time there and how much I miss it. In New York you meet the best new people and it’s a place where everyone’s individuality finds a niche. I’m sure you really enjoyed this city! Thanks for sharing

31. melanie Monday 11 November, 2013 at 7:22 pm #

funny, i just came across the story (and family) behind the half blue-painted door in red hook: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/31/greathomesanddestinations/three-feet-high-and-rising.html

32. lucie Saturday 16 November, 2013 at 11:19 am #

Wonderful photos!

33. Joelle Hattem Sunday 17 November, 2013 at 12:22 am #

I love that EVERYONE has been asking about where each of these photos was shot. I had the same thoughts, where is that? A sign of a good photo, capturing the moment we all want to experience. Makes me love NYC even more.

But, what camera did you use?

34. Meg Tuesday 24 December, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

That honeymoon sounds perfect! My husband and I had a very similar experience in NYC last year. We staying right accross the street from Pies n Thighs, central parked it, saw Book of Mormon (amazing), went to momofuko milk bar and saw Robert DeNiro filming a 70′s gangster scene for a movie at the Marcy Ave stop. Wasn’t the natural history museaum stunning?You have given me some good ideas for our next trip in the spring… That seafood feast! I would highly recommend the Grand Central Oyster bar to you guys for a nice filling lunch of oysters rockafeller or blu point oyster with anchovy butter! Any other ideas for us? We eat everything, and my sister lives in Brooklyn so we are staying for free!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. emaembarcelona - Monday 4 November, 2013

[…] NYC […]

2. Shutter Speed | Driftwood Studio - Thursday 7 November, 2013

[…] of Miss Moss. Must check out this awesome […]

3. the sauce, volume II | PEARLSPEAK - Friday 10 January, 2014

[…] blogger’s photos from her honeymoon trip to NYC are […]