Behind the Bed

we currently have this huuuge expanse of white wall behind our bed that’s so bare and sad. i’m just glad i can’t see it when i’m actually lying in bed. but we all know it’s there. what do do? hang a huge painting, perhaps? or lotsa little paintings? or drill some holes and put up a shelf? or a tapestry? or some cool wall sconces? or ALL OF THE ABOVE? we only have one bedroom, so we’re going to have to choose carefully…

source: hus & hem

source: phorm design life

source: objets mécaniques

source: atlanta homes & lifestyle

source: simon james design

source: des chaises en couleur

source: stadshem

source: sally england

source: my scandinavian home

source: david + sarah

source: joanna lavén

source: bolig

source: schoolhouse electric

source: elina dahl

, , , , , ,

13 Responses to Behind the Bed

1. Tshepo Monday 2 December, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

I am having the exact same dilemna. I have been for the past 2 years in fact Thank you for this post. I definitely thinking that the shelf is the way to go. So many choices though.

2. Shelley @ThatGirlShelley Monday 2 December, 2013 at 9:12 pm #

I love lots of little painting to fill up a blank, white wall. There is also something great about shelves with different knick-knacks too.

3. Camille Monday 2 December, 2013 at 9:27 pm #

I’ve also been thinking bout this for a while. Great post, lovely inspiration!

4. maggie Monday 2 December, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

Oooh, these are all lovely.

5. Rachel Tuesday 3 December, 2013 at 1:18 am #

I’m currently in the same boat! I’ve been rearranging my bedroom and I’ve got this bare wall above the desk where I write and sketch and there are so many options. These are great images for inspiration. x

6. Silvie Tuesday 3 December, 2013 at 3:08 am #

i’d be afraid to put shelves with objects above the bed because of things falling on your head while you sleep. I’m from san francisco though and we have to worry about earth quakes.

7. Noami Tuesday 3 December, 2013 at 3:19 am #

Keep it simple and light it well! I am loving industrial bedside sconces or desk lighting for late night reading.

Naomi
    LOST+FOUND

8. Rose Tuesday 3 December, 2013 at 8:42 pm #

I was also inspired by the ninth picture (from My scandinavian home), when I saw it on Pinterest. Found it just perfect. So I’ve put the Ribba shelf of Ikea up on the wall. You can change your art (or just anything that you want to put on it) at every moment. Really happy with it! Good luck with making a choice!

9. cecile Wednesday 4 December, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

keep it simple would also be my advice.
    i’m thinking our latest Palermo deco would look gorgeous.
    I took this picture in Sicily when i was pregnant with my first daughter and it turned out beautifully blurry and mysterious. The magic of my Leica M6 never disappoints. ; )
    Let me know if it’s in your taste. and thanks for the always great curated finds, this blog is one of my favorite place on the web. ( oh and congrats on the wedding!)

10. Tiffany W Wednesday 4 December, 2013 at 8:20 pm #

According to Feng Shui principles, it’s bad to have anything hanging above you in bed because your body would subconsciously feel anxious that it’ll fall on you while you sleep.

A shelf wouldn’t be great. Perhaps a light tapestry would work best?

11. kate Friday 6 December, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

I had a shelf above my bed years ago and on it was a pair of antlers. Something happened in the middle of the night (a ghost?!) and the antlers FELL on top of my head, which was the most insane feeling – sudden intense pain in the middle of a deep sleep. Now I never EVER put anything above my bed as I am paranoid! HA.

12. Caroline Monday 9 December, 2013 at 4:18 pm #

I get a bit worried that the things might fall on my head in the night! I know this is a bit mad but I can’t help it!

13. Mary Beth Thursday 19 December, 2013 at 5:21 am #

ugh. i totally feel you on this. i have 2 bedrooms that i need to get designing something for above the bed. this post was a big help with my mental block! thank you :)