Photography

Viviane Sassen

you might already know of Dutch photographer Viviane Sassen from the work she’s done for renowned fashion magazines and fashion houses the likes of Carven & Missoni. her most beautiful visuals, in my opinion, is a series called Flamboya which was shot in Kenya (where she spent part of her childhood) Uganda, Tanzania and Zambia. the name is taken from the red blossomed Flamboyant tree which grows across East and South Africa.

As long as I can remember, I have felt very close to Africa. This is most probably due to the fact that I lived with my family in Kenya when I was a child. Yet, this very experience of closeness has also engendered contradictory feelings. While feeling to be a part of this world, I have also kept on being aware of the fact that I would never really be a part of it. Very soon, I have come to understand that I would always remain a stranger. In this way I try in my work to figure this ambiguity. You feel close but at the same time distant. And that is something that is most of times absent in traditional Western depictions of Africa, always clearly reflecting the interpretation and gaze of Westerners.

Previous Post Next Post

Instagram -> @prizmahfashion

• Reply Haley Tuesday 31 December, 2013 at 4:25 pm

So good.

• Reply Ashley Tuesday 31 December, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Awesome photos.

• Reply Alyssa Thursday 2 January, 2014 at 2:42 am

Wow! These are stunning! That little boy is wasting his milk… LOL. No seriously, though, I love these. So great.

• Reply thecitygourmand Saturday 4 January, 2014 at 3:24 pm

So incredible! That milk shot is striking

• Reply Lucy Sunday 5 January, 2014 at 4:07 am

Wow, breathtaking work. Thank you so much for showing this, beautiful, really the concept and the execution. Love your blog by the way, big source of inspiration always, first time commenting.

Lucy

x

• Reply Jeroen Monday 6 January, 2014 at 6:04 pm

• Reply Alix-Rose Tuesday 7 January, 2014 at 12:10 pm

My absolute favourite! Do you know of Osma Harvilahti? They share a few similarities, so so great – http://osmaharvilahti.tumblr.com/

• Reply Jenna Thursday 9 January, 2014 at 8:51 pm

These are insanely beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

• Reply Kyra Wednesday 15 January, 2014 at 5:48 am

I’m so glad you post about artists, artistry, and artwork on your blog. You find the most interesting images and need-to-know artists. My world is expanding!

• Reply Viviane Sassen | all + sundry Wednesday 15 January, 2014 at 4:03 pm

[…] images from Miss Moss and Viviane […]

• Reply Warmth from Senegal | Blog Anoushka Matus Monday 3 February, 2014 at 10:14 am

[…] seeing these beautiful photos, I was really in the mood for some colour. We had this big piece of quilted fabric from Senegal, […]