French Kiss

if there is one movie that i have watched countless times, it is French Kiss. i first saw it back in 1995 when i was 12 years old, and i didn’t even know that Kevin Kline wasn’t really French (i would later discover him in A Fish Called Wanda and come to understand how awesome he is).  i don’t know what it is about the movie that appeals to me so much, but it has just stayed in my heart and i can still quote it backwards. i also appreciate Meg Ryan’s mannish wardrobe and perfect 90s pixie crop (remember when she used to have the most enviable hair in Hollywood?) if you’re one of the few people out there who also love this movie, then welcome to the French Kiss Appreciation Club.

French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss French Kiss

, , , ,

32 Responses to French Kiss

1. Isabelle Wednesday 22 January, 2014 at 1:24 pm #

I just discovered your blog. Love it! Oh, I’m just a fan of Meg Ryan’s movies in the 90′s. I can’t tell how many times I watched French Kiss and You’ve got a mail. It’s a shame what surgery and botox did to her face. Meg Ryan used to be so fresh and so cute! I thought she had the best haircut ever at that time. Thanks for this post!

2. Rebecca Wednesday 22 January, 2014 at 1:33 pm #

Boy do I understand!
    I have to say thought, in the same-ish style, I’ve seen Sleepless in Seattle way more…
    I do love her style in French Kiss too! Those wide pants and striped shirt always did for me :) So cool.

3. marissa (stylebook) Wednesday 22 January, 2014 at 2:22 pm #

how have i never seen this? i’ve seen you’ve got mail a laughable number of times. must add this to my queue; thanks for the rec!

4. Shelly Wednesday 22 January, 2014 at 2:31 pm #

My god, I saw that movie when I was about 14 yrs old, and I still remember how badly I wanted a brown leather backpack after watching it! :) And it’s still such a great style inspiration..

• Johanna Thursday 5 June, 2014 at 12:10 pm #

Me too – felt exactly the same about that brown backpack – have been hunting it down ever since. Still my inspiration for that elusive perfect tan brown leather backpack.

5. ELIZABETH Wednesday 22 January, 2014 at 2:38 pm #

I have been in love with this movie since I was a teenager! Thank you for the post.

6. Keri Wednesday 22 January, 2014 at 3:27 pm #

Oh my, I was/am so obsessed with this movie! Watched it at least once a week! Best best best. Favourite quote: “something like ziiiiss?”
    Also: “There is only one other place where I feel this exhilaration.”
    I still want to own a little villa in France on a vineyard after this movie… oh and the music! Have to watch it again.

• Miss Moss Wednesday 22 January, 2014 at 3:58 pm #

haha! some of my favourite quotes, too many to count, are:

perhaps Pierre, Monique?

I will Triumph!

Luc. Luke. No, not Luke. Luc. Luc.

à gauche, Louise!

7. Emilia Wednesday 22 January, 2014 at 4:16 pm #

oh.. YES!! i remember this movie.. it made a HUGE impression on me b/c of the wine aroma kit he shows her… the one w/ all the dried herbs & plants from the area surrounding the vineyard that helps you develop your nose & wine tasting. so amazing!! i’ve never forgotten this scene.. it completely changed my world when i saw it. and, i have always always wanted to make myself an aroma kit ever since! thanks for reminding me. LOL.

8. kim Wednesday 22 January, 2014 at 4:25 pm #

Meg Ryan was never better and Kevin Klein killed it with that french accent. Fav quote “Eh well, you walk lack a little boy” .

9. Lauren Wednesday 22 January, 2014 at 5:35 pm #

LOVE LOVE this movie. I wish Meg Ryan still made movies like this.

10. Valentina Wednesday 22 January, 2014 at 5:36 pm #

I simply love this movie, definitely one of my favourite! But I am a Meg Ryan huge fan (give me French Kiss, then give me Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry met Sally, You got mail, possibly one after the other, I don’t mind ;)
    I can’t help it, she is funny, graceful and her outfits are so adorable (I am not even gonna mention the hair… :) Thank you for the lovely pictures carousel !

11. Sarah Wednesday 22 January, 2014 at 5:41 pm #

I love love this movie and when I was younger I had my hair cut to match hers. I loved it!

12. Bee Wednesday 22 January, 2014 at 5:51 pm #

You know what I remember from this movie? Her hair was so spiky through the whole thing and THEN when she dressed up (a date, a trip to the casino, I can’t remember) all the Lisa Simpson spikes were curled – Romantic evening spikes.

13. Tanja Ayesha Wednesday 22 January, 2014 at 6:08 pm #

I so get you. I have watched this movie so many times since I was a child and I still love it. It’s my go to, when I need some cheering up or in the mood for a feel good romantic movie. It’s a classic. This movie made me love Meg Ryan (also really love her in You’ve Got Mail). Love to see that I’m not alone loving and appreciating French Kiss.

14. kelly rae Wednesday 22 January, 2014 at 6:50 pm #

I love that movie too!

15. Jen Wednesday 22 January, 2014 at 8:23 pm #

Oh my gosh, I LOVE this movie. My mom and I used to watch it all the time and still quote random lines (“you people make my ass twitch!”) back and forth to each other. Such good stuff— and I totally agree on the Meg Ryan masculine fashion/pixie cut perfection.

16. Jade Wednesday 22 January, 2014 at 9:10 pm #

One of my favourite movies of all time! I think I’ve watched it that many times that I know the entire dialogue. Love it!

17. Shannon Schnurr Wednesday 22 January, 2014 at 9:49 pm #

Yes! One of my favorites! My friend Padric and I would watch it all the time. We still say to each other “you make my ass twitch”. Meg Ryan was so cool and beautiful and validated my short hair cut.

18. IminyJo Wednesday 22 January, 2014 at 11:04 pm #

Great Post! French Kiss is only second to You Got Mail on my Favorite Meg Ryan Movies list. (Followed closely by When Harry Met Sally of course). I first saw French Kiss in college. My friend bought the soundtrack and she and I would take turns quoting lines. My absolute favorite, which I use whenever I have a quesy experience with dairy products- I’m like Kate in that regard is: “Spasm! Spasm! Oh, God, here it comes… lactose intoleraaaaannnnce!”

Other favorites for my friend and I:

“I hate Paris in the springtime, I hate Paris in the fall…I hate Paris because my love is there… with his sllllut girlfriend.”

“Happy, smile. Sad, frown. Use the corresponding face for the corresponding emotion!”

“Fester, fester, fester. Rot, rot, rot”

“It’s incredible how you do that. The words come out – ‘Welcome back’ – but the meaning is completely different. ”

“Beautiful, Beautiful, Wish You Were Here!”

“You did it again. Do you enjoy being that rude? Because when you do that, it just gets underneath my skin, and it makes me… completely… INSANE!”

“My ass is twitching. You people make my ass twitch.”

:-D

19. Meg Thursday 23 January, 2014 at 12:30 am #

I recall seeing this film with my mother and older sister, and falling very madly in love with the brown leather backpack and receiving one that same year for Christmas. I still have it, somewhere. I like to think of Kevin Kline as Mrs. Phoebe Cates (who has a nifty shop in the city next time you’re over this way.)

20. Cheryl Thursday 23 January, 2014 at 2:14 am #

I loooooovvveeee this movie, too! My favorite part is when she’s on the train eating all that delicious cheese! :) So PARIS!

21. Leanne Thursday 23 January, 2014 at 3:56 am #

I saw French Kiss again a few months ago (after not having seen it since the 90s). It was a lot of fun and very sweet to watch!

22. charlotte | the vintage vogue Friday 24 January, 2014 at 3:04 am #

yes yes and yes. such a great movie! I developed a preteen crush on kevin kline after watching this only to further develop into near obsession after watching a fish called wanda, in and out – and dare I say? the pirates of penzance. oh my. i still heart him

• Miss Moss Friday 24 January, 2014 at 8:11 am #

i had a huge crush on him too!

23. D. Saturday 25 January, 2014 at 1:51 pm #

Love this movie! Especially Meg Ryan’s excellent and funny performance. There is one line in the movie that just cracks me up every time, it’s when she says: ” Hello, beautiful!” Like duh! You’re in Paris! :)

24. Zoe Saturday 25 January, 2014 at 10:18 pm #

So nice!!! No one makes faces like Meg.

25. Banana Meet-Cute Sunday 26 January, 2014 at 10:03 am #

I cut school and went to this on my own when I was 17 – such the rebel!! I remember being OBSESSED with Meg Ryan’s haircut.

26. Michelle Armas Tuesday 4 February, 2014 at 7:23 pm #

Oh my gosh! Me too! Its my ultimate favorite guilty pleasure movie ever. Back when you bought CD movies, my parents gave it to me because I couldn’t stop watching it! I loved it, and I can also quote it. Love.

27. nobozo Monday 10 March, 2014 at 1:12 am #

OK, so has anyone ever found the fantastic backpack she carried in the movie? I’ve looked for years and not seen anything
    like it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

28. Julie Tuesday 22 April, 2014 at 6:38 am #

I absolutely love this movie. I just got done watching it for the hundredth time. It is funny, romantic, charming, and so delightful. This is Meg ryan at her early best and Kevin Kline steals my heart. The dynamic between these two actors is amazing to watch. One of my top ten movies ever!! Great work to Meg & Kevin for bringing this story alive.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. I Heart the Internet-Links » Made-To-Travel.com - Monday 27 January, 2014

[…] I nearly forgot about this movie…I used to watch it on hardcore […]